The Student Room Group

My hair is a disgusting mess

I'm really getting fed up with my hair and just how disgusting and ugly it is. When it dries, it's a big frizzy mess no matter what I do (and I've tried serums, coconut oil, everything) so I'm forced to straighten it so I can actually go outside without looking like I've never brushed my hair in my life. However, even when I do straighten it, it still looks awful and starts to go back into it's frizzy/wavy itself within half an hour (so basically I'm frying my hair for nothing). I've tried hair masks, protein treatments etc. and it's done nothing.

I'm so fed up and I feel like I've tried everything at this point. Is there anything else I can do or am I just going to have to accept the fact that I've got gross hair?
Omg my sister feels exactly the same as you. She avoids shampoos and conditioners that contains sulphates so maybe try that? And yeah I think you should leave the straightener. Are your ends just damaged and your roots are ok? Maybe you should consider cutting it short and starting out fresh.
Shave it off. Works for me.
I feel you, I have horrendous hair too. Frizzy, curly mess!!
You could always ask a hairdresser for any recommendations, they can (usually) recommend things that can help problems such as this!
Also when you're straightening, do you use a good heat protectant? If not then that's really important particularly if you straighten a lot.
Reply 5
Pic?
Tie it up? May help and make it look better?

Use some of the advice above first, but always the option of getting it permanently straightened(this could be prove costly in the long run)
Find out your hair’s porosity (just look up what that is, it’s to do with how your hair absorbs moisture, just look it up and do the test it suggests which is just putting your hair in water basically). Avoid sulphates and parabens, sleep with a silk/ satin pillowcase, try buns and plaits, and watch some YouTubers with your hair type. Also try only finger detangling your hair, using deep and/or leave-in conditioners and try other oils like jojoba, sweet almond, argan etc. as coconut isn’t for everyone. Don’t have a lot to go on but good luck!
This makes me so sad :frown: curly/frizzy hair is beautiful, you should ebrace it and dont brush it too much if you have curls and DONT straighten it!! If you've been straightening it for a while your curls have probably disappeared and theres lots of ways to get them back. But remember everyone has straight hair, its boring. My hair is my favourite feature
Are you male or female?
My hair is exactly like this and i straighten it pretty much everyday and it still used to be super frizzy too but i have started using this new shampoo and conditioner from herbal essences (it's called herbal essences bio renew with argan oil) and it works wonders! It also really helps reduce split ends and dryness. You should check it out!
If it is damaged there is nothing you can do but shave it.
That means if you had bleached it, used heat on it, coloured it or used any other chemical and it turned frizzy AFTER.
If your hair has always been like this you should invest in keratin/brazillian/japanese hair straightening. Yes this is a protein treatment but definitely not one you have tried since they permanently make your hair straight until new hair grows in. And you mentioned you still have to straighten yours.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending