livriley7
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Heyyyy, wondering if anybody has anything good to say about Hurn House, really like the look of the accommodation would just like to know a bit more about what its like generally - is there a mixture of uni students from UB and AUB? Is there a general mix of students in terms of course type as well??? xoxo
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by livriley7)
Heyyyy, wondering if anybody has anything good to say about Hurn House, really like the look of the accommodation would just like to know a bit more about what its like generally - is there a mixture of uni students from UB and AUB? Is there a general mix of students in terms of course type as well??? xoxo
It’s all AUB as I understand it. There’s a mix of mostly flats with a big shared kitchen and lounge but also a handful of self contained studios.

It’s in a great location (although I would have to take out an extra loan to cover my spending at kfc if I lived there!).
febbee_animation
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Its just AUB students but from all courses and I would pick madeira road anyday over here
livriley7
Rep:
?
(Original post by febbee_animation)
Its just AUB students but from all courses and I would pick madeira road anyday over here
Are there any specific reasons you'd pick Madeira? I was originally thinking there but i felt the facilities (like bedrooms) at Hurn House looked better x
febbee_animation
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Are there any specific reasons you'd pick Madeira? I was originally thinking there but i felt the facilities (like bedrooms) at Hurn House looked better x
So many problems at Hurn house Ive mentioned in more detail but breifyly, they have lots of issues with noise at the moment becuase of clubs and a rock bar directly beneath the building. The building seems to be done by cow boy builders, floor boards slid out of place on my first day. They have lots of problmes with leaks, with had two majour leaks since staying here more recently from like the tenth floor all the way to the first. Next door was moved out of his room as it was drenched, even his ceiling started peeling.

We've also had issues with water supply, we went without hot water for near enough half a week then no water for a day and a bit. The internet has also been down quite frequently at the start of the year cently so hopefully they are fixing it.

There are lots of bugs, I have silver fish in my room a sign of damp. The area isnt as safe as maderia also, there are a lot of drunks and druggies in this area. Just last night someone was arrested for criminal damage on the reception of Hurn House.

At maderia they have lockable bike storage, a common room and more security, just round the corner from the police station. Its also nicer rooms there even if the beds are smaller, They are better equiped for student life.

I mean who knows they have said they are dealing with a lot of these issues but my lease is almost up and I am still finding problem after problem.
livriley7
Rep:
?
(Original post by febbee_animation)
So many problems at Hurn house Ive mentioned in more detail but breifyly, they have lots of issues with noise at the moment becuase of clubs and a rock bar directly beneath the building. The building seems to be done by cow boy builders, floor boards slid out of place on my first day. They have lots of problmes with leaks, with had two majour leaks since staying here more recently from like the tenth floor all the way to the first. Next door was moved out of his room as it was drenched, even his ceiling started peeling.

We've also had issues with water supply, we went without hot water for near enough half a week then no water for a day and a bit. The internet has also been down quite frequently at the start of the year cently so hopefully they are fixing it.

There are lots of bugs, I have silver fish in my room a sign of damp. The area isnt as safe as maderia also, there are a lot of drunks and druggies in this area. Just last night someone was arrested for criminal damage on the reception of Hurn House.

At maderia they have lockable bike storage, a common room and more security, just round the corner from the police station. Its also nicer rooms there even if the beds are smaller, They are better equiped for student life.

I mean who knows they have said they are dealing with a lot of these issues but my lease is almost up and I am still finding problem after problem.

Thanks for the heads up! Thats such a shame considering the rooms look a lot nicer in pictures.....or are they just old? . One last question as this is my only main concern - do you think a double bed would fit into a single en suite in Madeira? xxx
febbee_animation
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks for the heads up! Thats such a shame considering the rooms look a lot nicer in pictures.....or are they just old? . One last question as this is my only main concern - do you think a double bed would fit into a single en suite in Madeira? xxx

Ive only been in madera rooms a few times, the beds are single but theres enough space for like a blow up bed or something, thats the only down side. Yeah i know the pictures looks great but its really not what you expect, even the kitchens dont all look like the pictures they are really small on one side of the building
The Finnisher
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hurn house (or Lulworth, theyre both under the same company) has now screwed over the only two people I know that have lived there. Most recently, a Ester leaked was left unchecked for three days after reporting it and when the maintenance guy did come around, he said there's no active leak so it's ok. For those unaware of of how to get mold damage, this is how you get mold damage. The water doesn't just all run through and the problem isn't that little puddle, it's whatever water is soaked into that ceiling structure and the fact that nobody bothers to do anything about it, because nobody stays in halls for over a year anyway. Also, studio flats (the most expensive way of living for those who can afford privacy) are on the bottom floor right above a bar with noise until late night hours. I've heard many a drama at 01:00 when sleeping there in my friends studio.Believe me, Madeira is lush compared to the Lulworth/Hurn house company.
parsonip
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey, i currently live in hurn house and there are so many problems with leaks, internet connection, flies (if you are on first floor) and silverfish bugs on the higher floors, making a complaint and getting maintenance to sort it out takes ages, and we even had homeless people brake in earlier in september lol
Kinnari Saraiya
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Madeira is probably the most popular choice so if you're a social/ party person then go for Madeira Halls but if you want your peace and quiet then definitely go for Bath Road. Madeira can get noisy at times.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
21.8%
Excited but a bit nervous (122)
45.86%
Not bothered either way (34)
12.78%
I'm really nervous (52)
19.55%

Watched Threads