The Student Room Group

3 AS levels and applying for medical school

I'm really struggling with my 4th AS level so I'm thinking of dropping it before the exam because I just can't cope with all the content of 4 as levels.... will having 3 AS levels limit my chances of getting into medical school? I'm so confused of what to do, I need opinions pls😭 Btw I'm taking Chem, bio, Psychology and RS. I'm considering of dropping RS
No.

Have you not researched the requirements for medical schools?
No. Most people who get into medicine only do three
Reply 3
Original post by BTAnonymous
No.

Have you not researched the requirements for medical schools?

Yeh but I couldn't find anything about the number of as levels required
Original post by rose1233_
Yeh but I couldn't find anything about the number of as levels required

Are you sure? Most if not all universities will say

"Standard offer: AAA"

under entry requirements.
unless you want to apply for cambridge
"98 per cent of applicants for Medicine (A100) offered three or more science/mathematics A Levels and, of these, 31 per cent were successful in obtaining a place. Of the 2 per cent of applicants who offered only two science/mathematics A Levels, 8% were successful in gaining a place." - taken from cambridge's website. Then I guess it won't have any effect (assuming that you were doing Maths bio chem phys)
Reply 6
Are you sure? Most if not all universities will say

"Standard offer: AAA"

under entry requirements.

It's means AAA for A level results and it says predictions must be AAA
It's means AAA for A level results and it says predictions must be AAA

Yes I know that? I was trying to say that you don't need more than 3 alevels to secure a medicine place because you said that you can't find anything about the no. of alevels required to secure a medicine place.
Reply 8
Yes I know that? I was trying to say that you don't need more than 3 alevels to secure a medicine place because you said that you can't find anything about the no. of alevels required to secure a medicine place.

But the thing is most people in my sixth form who are applying for medicine take 4 and who have applied already took 4 As levels. That's why I'm confused of what to do, because it's highly competitive so I may be at a disadvantage ygm?
But the thing is most people in my sixth form who are applying for medicine take 4 and who have applied already took 4 As levels. That's why I'm confused of what really because it's highly competitive so I may be at a disadvantage ygm?

I get you. It's not an issue, trust me. Having 4 alevels doesn't give you ANY advantage and I see why you would think it would but it doesn't at all; universities don't care, even top unis like Oxbridge.

if you want to do 4 though just for curiosity sake, go for it but by no means gives you an advantage over anyone taking 3.
Reply 10
I get you. It's not an issue, trust me. Having 4 alevels doesn't give you ANY advantage and I see why you would think it would but it doesn't at all; universities don't care, even top unis like Oxbridge.

if you want to do 4 though just for curiosity sake, go for it but by no means gives you an advantage over anyone taking 3.

Yeh it's a really tough decision for me and I don't want to regret anything later. I might just email an admissions tutor of a medical school to make my mind at ease and to make sure it really doesn't matter
Yeh it's a really tough descision for me and I don't want to regret anything later. I might just email an admissions tutor of a medical school to make my mind at ease and to make sure it really doesn't matter

Good idea actually.

With something like medicine as well, it's not just about grades wholly; there will be more emphasis on your external influences on wanting to apply so maybe reading something, further research or even just work experience.

I mean, if you can get predicted and achieve 4A*s/As that'll be pretty good tbh but it's not really necessary.
Reply 12
Good idea actually.

With something like medicine as well, it's not just about grades wholly; there will be more emphasis on your external influences on wanting to apply so maybe reading something, further research or even just work experience.

I mean, if you can get predicted and achieve 4A*s/As that'll be pretty good tbh but it's not really necessary.

Did u apply for medical school?
Did u apply for medical school?

Nope. Havent applied for university either. I have a couple friends who have applied though.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest