The Student Room Group

should i take my own study leave?

my school isn't giving study leave for whatever reason but I am in desperate need of it! Too much gcse content to cover in 4 weeks and being at school will slow me down!! Shall i just diagnose myself with an infection on the week before the exams and take it off????
Yes, that's what I did during my GCSEs and what I'll also be doing now [I'm in Y13].
what's wrong with working at school ?

personally i find it better to work in the library than in my room with all the distractions
Same situation! Should get study leave after the May half term but not getting that now. I've emailed the head of school to ask for exemption but doubt he'll give it... absolute joke honestly! I would contact senior leadership at your school and relaly lay it on thick and hopefully they'll see your need for it. Good luck :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by hannah_ponsford
my school isn't giving study leave for whatever reason but I am in desperate need of it! Too much gcse content to cover in 4 weeks and being at school will slow me down!! Shall i just diagnose myself with an infection on the week before the exams and take it off????

I did that for my GCSEs and I'm going to do the same thing for my A levels.

Grades > Attendance
you don't need study leave for GCSEs.

We didnt have any form of study leave for GCSEs or AS levels and it had no negative consequences. in fact it meant our teachers gave us better revision resources than we could've had in private study.

Original post by riannon2001
Same situation! Should get study leave after the May half term but not getting that now. I've emailed the head of school to ask for exemption but doubt he'll give it... absolute joke honestly! I would contact senior leadership at your school and relaly lay it on thick and hopefully they'll see your need for it. Good luck :smile:
I had study leave for both my National 5's and Highers and I would say it was a positive and a negative. Do you still need to stay in line with the timetable? I went into school during study leave and sat in the base of the subject I was studying. It meant that I could ask teachers for help if need be and I found that I got distracted easily if I stayed at home.
I'm probably doing that for my AS levels, I don't really care about attendance being dragged down if I'm honest.
Original post by Ray_Shadows
what's wrong with working at school ?

personally i find it better to work in the library than in my room with all the distractions

Personally I can’t pay attention at school because other students distract me, even when they don’t mean to. Like we end up talking about revision rather than doing it, if you know what I mean.
Original post by hannah_ponsford

my school doesn't give study leave either and i find it particularly hard to revise with people and i'm doing that too (my mom said just to pretend i feel sick in school one day, come home and she'll diagnose me with diarrhoea and i'll get 3 days off) but i haven't finished the actual syllabus for a lot of my subjects so even if i do come home i'll have to catch up on schoolwork too so maybe consider whether the school is teaching you new stuff or just revising?
Original post by Noodlestudent
Personally I can’t pay attention at school because other students distract me, even when they don’t mean to. Like we end up talking about revision rather than doing it, if you know what I mean.

yeh i get that
More than 2 days absence requires a medical slip at my school rip
Original post by bulgylau
you don't need study leave for GCSEs.

We didnt have any form of study leave for GCSEs or AS levels and it had no negative consequences. in fact it meant our teachers gave us better revision resources than we could've had in private study.

That's for you personally, that doesn't apply to everyone else. I'm visually impaired and have to have exactly the right conditions to read in which I can only get at home, that's why I need study leave. One rule does not apply to everyone
That's for you personally, that doesn't apply to everyone else. I'm visually impaired and have to have exactly the right conditions to read in which I can only get at home, that's why I need study leave. One rule does not apply to everyone

:smile: of course not. and if you have a disability, your school should cater for it. but for the MAJORITY of students, study leave isn't needed. I'm sorry for any disrespect towards you. it wasn't directed at you personally
Original post by bulgylau
:smile: of course not. and if you have a disability, your school should cater for it. but for the MAJORITY of students, study leave isn't needed. I'm sorry for any disrespect towards you. it wasn't directed at you personally

I know, I'm sorry! This is just a very stressful period particularly as my school are not overly understanding on these matters
I know, I'm sorry! This is just a very stressful period particularly as my school are not overly understanding on these matters

bless you :redface:

honestly relax, GCSEs seem very daunting, but you'll soon get in the stride, by the 3rd or 4th exam, it'll be easy :biggrin:
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
Yes, that's what I did during my GCSEs and what I'll also be doing now [I'm in Y13].

dadad

Quick Reply

Latest