The Student Room Group

One stupid question

Hello!

There is one question I never really asked or thought about concerning your study system (I am not English...). It may be a stupid question to you, but please imagine you would try to understand some foreign system...

What acutally means "2:1"? Or phrases like "first upper degree" an so on? I am reading this all day when I surf the websites of some universities and I never really understood how exactly this is defined.

I assume that it refers to your Bachelor-degree and the corresponding grades. Could someone tell me the exact way how someone knows whether he or she has a 2:1 degree?

Thanks a lot!
(ij)
Reply 1
I am sure there is a Wiki explaining this somewhere , but still, I will do my best.
In British unis degrees are awarded in "classes" which depend on the marks you have been awarded.
70% or higher gets you a "First", meaning a first class degree.
60-69% gets an Upper Second class, also known as a 2:1
50-59% gets a Lower Second class, also known as a 2:2
40-49% gets a Third class
30-39% will usually get a pass without honours, also called an ordinary degree.
Lower than that is a fail.
Your final class is decided by the university and there is usually little right of appeal. It is usually determined by the marks you have achieved in your assessed coursework in years 2 and 3, plus your exam results, but the exact make up varies from place to place and course to course.
Reply 2
(ij)
Hello!

There is one question I never really asked or thought about concerning your study system (I am not English...). It may be a stupid question to you, but please imagine you would try to understand some foreign system...

What acutally means "2:1"? Or phrases like "first upper degree" an so on? I am reading this all day when I surf the websites of some universities and I never really understood how exactly this is defined.

I assume that it refers to your Bachelor-degree and the corresponding grades. Could someone tell me the exact way how someone knows whether he or she has a 2:1 degree?

Thanks a lot!
(ij)

In a nutshell a 2:1 is the next degree classification down from a first. Grades wise (in general) it goes as follows:

70+ = First
60-60 = 2:1 (upper second)
50-59 = 2:2 (lower second)
40-49= Third
40 or below = fail
Reply 3
Thanks a lot! That's really easy, but I promise that I never found any explanation about this! Thank you very much!
Reply 4
I have this horrible thought that I'm just going to fail :frown: be in debt :frown: and with no degree :frown:. Did/does anyone else fear themselves failing?

Latest

Trending

Trending