My neighbour's house got robbed, worried about my house now

Watch
The RAR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Last Monday my neighbour whom we are really friendly with and her house is like just 3 seconds away from mine had her house burgled at MIDNIGHT, I on that day and on midnight was at home awake with lights on in my room doing work and stuff while my parents were sleeping in the other room and while the robbery was happening I did not hear a thing to what was happening next door which honestly surprised me since the thieves smashed the windows and doors and I still could not hear anything. We suspect there may be a gang of eastern European burglars working around the area but I am just thankful that my house didn't get robbed on that day most likely because they noticed the lights coming from my room (I bet they found it weird to find someone awake at midnight).
Now I always have a long wooden stick in my room and it's not for any kind of sport, if I see some ****head trying to break into my house I will literally run down and smash these ****s in the face because confrontation is the last thing they want, calling the police would be useless as they take ages to arrive. But apart from using force to protect my house in case I am alone what else would you recommend me to do to make my house a less likely target for robbery during nights? My parents don't bother spending too much on security or even any time to consider about it.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You'd have to be a ****ing moron to return to go to the same area to commit burglary twice, surely knowing full well that people in the area will be on high alert.
tarabug
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've been burgled and it isn't a nice feeling. But things we were recommended in terms of safety were:
-Using a timer plug with a lamp (you can also do this with a radio)
-Keeping curtains/windows shut
-Do you have a security light?
-Evidently, making sure your doors are locked
-Making sure gates are shut
The RAR
Rep:
?
(Original post by tarabug)
I've been burgled and it isn't a nice feeling. But things we were recommended in terms of safety were:
-Using a timer plug with a lamp (you can also do this with a radio)
-Keeping curtains/windows shut
-Do you have a security light?
-Evidently, making sure your doors are locked
-Making sure gates are shut
First option seems like wasting money to my parents, yup windows and curtains are always shut but keep in mind the thieves smashed the windows probably with a hammer or some **** like that. Nope, no security light, again seems pretty wasteful in terms of money. Yup doors are always locked and I don't have gates
Erdsa
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I agree with one of the people above. it's stupid for the burglars to rob at the same place. I've been robbed before but no on else in my neighbourhood was robbed. I think you'll be alright but if you're paranoid, just leave the lights on and they'll avoid breaking in
WEASEL espinoza
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I remember someone on my road got robbed a couple of months ago.
They stole perfume
PERFUME?!
Areena.A.W
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
You'd have to be a ****ing moron to return to go to the same area to commit burglary twice, surely knowing full well that people in the area will be on high alert.
not really, in my area theres always robberies, sometimes in the same house twice
*op I'm not trynna scare ya, but my area is sooo messed: car chases at 3-4 in the morning, constant burglaries, robbery, drug dealers, u name it brooo
Outspokencries
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by The RAR)
Last Monday my neighbour whom we are really friendly with and her house is like just 3 seconds away from mine had her house burgled at MIDNIGHT, I on that day and on midnight was at home awake with lights on in my room doing work and stuff while my parents were sleeping in the other room and while the robbery was happening I did not hear a thing to what was happening next door which honestly surprised me since the thieves smashed the windows and doors and I still could not hear anything. We suspect there may be a gang of eastern European burglars working around the area but I am just thankful that my house didn't get robbed on that day most likely because they noticed the lights coming from my room (I bet they found it weird to find someone awake at midnight).
Now I always have a long wooden stick in my room and it's not for any kind of sport, if I see some ****head trying to break into my house I will literally run down and smash these ****s in the face because confrontation is the last thing they want, calling the police would be useless as they take ages to arrive. But apart from using force to protect my house in case I am alone what else would you recommend me to do to make my house a less likely target for robbery during nights? My parents don't bother spending too much on security or even any time to consider about it.
Screwdriver.

On a serious note, you would be doing more harm than good to be frank, as you never know these people can be armed. In terms of where the legislation in terms of protecting oneself when a burglary occurs your best best would be to alert the police service and let them deal with the issue at hand. Thats what they are in service for.
To protect the public. Otherwise you will only be asking for trouble. Theres an invention that you can purchase, whereby if an intruder walks/breaks in it automatically notifies the police service. Clever invention that.
Areena.A.W
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
First option seems like wasting money to my parents, yup windows and curtains are always shut but keep in mind the thieves smashed the windows probably with a hammer or some **** like that. Nope, no security light, again seems pretty wasteful in terms of money. Yup doors are always locked and I don't have gates
no, the first opption is acc good, its not that expensive
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingavon-BB...70_&dpSrc=srch
I have it n its really useful 4 wen ur out or on holiday
xx
RedGiant
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Make sure all doors/windows are secured, have a loud alarm system on, tell your neighbors to watch out for any suspicious looking activity, etc. But its unlikely they'll return, they're more likely to set up shop somewhere else.

Also, leaving the lights on with the curtains slightly drawn might help.
Nerry
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
why? do you really think burglars are going to be dumb enough to rob in the same area twice??
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
East EU you say? You in my area bruv? :holmes:

All you have to do is threaten to call immigration on them. That'll get them running :cyber:
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Doubt they’d rob the same area twice. Lock doors windows etc. If you hear them downstairs, shout. They would likely do a runner.
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by It's****ingWOODY)

when I was living in London next door got burgled once, ...many years later the house next to it got burgled [whilst someone was still in there] and he was assaulted.

There was actually a string of burglaries in the area around that time, and once when I was walking home i got stopped by undercover police and searched. apparently i was looking too much at houses....

There's also been incidences where we've caught people watching our house. Vehicles parked outside all day and then when you look out and make it obvious you've seen them they drive off....., At the time there was almost always at least 1 person home at all times ..so that's probably why we were never hit, ...
The RAR
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nerry)
why? do you really think burglars are going to be dumb enough to rob in the same area twice??
Well there was another robbery in my area 2 years ago....
The RAR
Rep:
?
(Original post by Outspokencries)
Screwdriver.

On a serious note, you would be doing more harm than good to be frank, as you never know these people can be armed. In terms of where the legislation in terms of protecting oneself when a burglary occurs your best best would be to alert the police service and let them deal with the issue at hand. Thats what they are in service for.
To protect the public. Otherwise you will only be asking for trouble. Theres an invention that you can purchase, whereby if an intruder walks/breaks in it automatically notifies the police service. Clever invention that.
And while the police are notified these thieves who I am sure are experienced in this can rob almost everything in those 40 mins that will take for the police to arrive, my local police station is really far away you know.
Outspokencries
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
And while the police are notified these thieves who I am sure are experienced in this can rob almost everything in those 40 mins that will take for the police to arrive, my local police station is really far away you know.
Whats more essential? Your life or your possessions?
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Plus the police are too busy looking at historical sex cases and twitte abuse than dealing with actual crime......
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
Doubt they’d rob the same area twice.
It's crime, not lightening lmao. Of course if they think an utter sap is living or working there they'll hit it up again for easy gain. Criminals are stupid you know. Like I know drug runners and doormen who let drugs flow into the club, they brag about it on social media :hmmm: they're stupid lol.
The RAR
Rep:
?
(Original post by Outspokencries)
Whats more essential? Your life or your possessions?
Tbh I will take the risk and go for my possessions because rarely are these robbers armed, if in the unlikely event they are armed then well....I guess I am ****ed, I could always grab a bigger weapon but that is just stepping over the line.

(Original post by Andrew97)
Plus the police are too busy looking at historical sex cases and twitte abuse than dealing with actual crime......
Exactly!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (76)
14.5%
I'm not sure (22)
4.2%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (167)
31.87%
I have already dropped out (11)
2.1%
I'm not a current university student (248)
47.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed