Leilalelia
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi all, I am currently a GCSE student and I want to study medicine at University, I wonder what A-levels I should take? ( I want to apply for oxford and cambridge universities)
Also, I looked online and its says I need chemistry, biology or math or physics plus another academic subject. I was planning on taking Math, Chemistry, Biology and Further math but I'm not sure if these are the right choices or how many choices I have?
Please advice!
username2752874
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Leilalelia)
Hi all, I am currently a GCSE student and I want to study medicine at University, I wonder what A-levels I should take? ( I want to apply for oxford and cambridge universities)
Also, I looked online and its says I need chemistry, biology or math or physics plus another academic subject. I was planning on taking Math, Chemistry, Biology and Further math but I'm not sure if these are the right choices or how many choices I have?
Please advice!
You only need three subjects.

And I don't think further maths is considered distcint by most medical schools. Physics is a better option if you really want to do four subjects

Choices are good overall
KingCrepe
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Please advice!
Those Choices are fine/ideal for Cambridge I think. I'm not sure how much they want further maths though, and if its not necessary i'd advise 3 subjects over 4.
Jsh2000uk
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Your subject choices are fine. Chemistry is essential and is the default requirement to enter most medical schools. "Another science" is also needed, such as Biology, Maths or physics. Maths and biology are probably the most useful for the medical field. Just to add, you cannot apply to both Oxford and Cambridge on your application, you must choose one. You also can only apply to 4 medical courses at 4 different Unis, you must choose one non medical course to make up the 5th option.
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Those subjects are fine.

F.maths is fine as a 4th - it actually correlates with slightly better BMAT and UKCAT results - but it might not count towards an offer and is not necessary.

You cannot apply to both Oxford and Cambridge.
Leilalelia
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Does it matter if I don't do physics A level if I only choose to do A levels Biology, Chemistry and math? Or do I need to have all three sciences?. ( I don't like physics and I'm a bit bad at it)
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
Does it matter if I don't do physics A level if I only choose to do A levels Biology, Chemistry and math? Or do I need to have all three sciences?. ( I don't like physics and I'm a bit bad at it)
Why not read the actual sated entry requirements section for both Oxford and Cambridge? You will then be able to appreciate the differences in what they look for.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
For those universities that ask or prefer 3 sciences Maths counts as a science. So Bio, Chem and Maths is a perfectly acceptable combination.

Also: A*A*A > A*AAB (e.g. if you did Physics and it dragged down your grades).
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That is the most common subject combination and fine for every UK university.
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Start by looking at subject requirements, assuming you're fully committed to taking medicine. Chemistry is a must-have for medicine.
Maths, biology and chemistry is a solid combination. Maths usually isn't a requirement, so further maths isn't that necessary either, but of course, it helps. Imperial requires biology and chemistry, Oxbridge demand chemistry and another science/maths.

I doubt physics will be that helpful, unless your school offers medicinal physics (in AQA physics a-level, there are a few different optional modules that can be taken aside from all the mandatory content, like engineering physics, electronics, medicinal physics, astrophysics).

You do not need 4 A-levels - 3 will do just fine.
Biomed1018
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Biology, Chemistry, then anything (business, food science you name ittt)
username3890778
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Are people still asking this in big big 2018?
username3843068
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Chemistry, biology and math. Done, pretty much the default for medicine and the likes.
The Medic Portal
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Please advice!
Hi there,

Most offers are based on three A-Levels - and Chemistry, Biology and Maths are fine!

You can see exactly which A-Levels you need for each med school on our What A-Levels do I need to be a doctor? page.

Hope this helps!
The Medic Portal
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (3)
7.14%
I need help researching courses (3)
7.14%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
7.14%
I need help with my personal statement (20)
47.62%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (10)
23.81%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
2.38%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (2)
4.76%

Watched Threads