The Student Room Group

My AAAAAAAAAAAA-level Rescue Mission

Well, I feel like the title is pretty self-explanatory, but I'll still do a little introduction nonetheless!

I'm using this to log my progress over the month-or-so leading up to my exams, as I feel that this will help me organise my revision.

I am in year 13 and my subjects are:
Computer Science (AQA)
Mathematics with Mechanics (AQA)
Further Maths AS (AQA) which I started this year
... and Physics (OCR B)

I'm taking a gap year and plan to apply to university post-results, partly because I wanted to get an A in Physics so I could go to universities with A*A*A requirements. At university I hope to study Computer Science.

The goal? A* A* A A

My grades (last updated 30th April)

Spoiler

What's going on this week? (last updated 30th April)

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yh im the same
But for me its mission impossible
Reply 2
Original post by WEASEL espinoza
Yh im the same
But for me its mission impossible

Yikes, well at least it's good to know you're not the only one trying to improve your grades drastically. What are you predicted (or what did you get in your last mocks)?
Original post by moonrise
Yikes, well at least it's good to know you're not the only one trying to improve your grades drastically. What are you predicted (or what did you get in your last mocks)?

I got ACC in mocks
Predicted AAB
LOOOOOL
predicted A*A*A*A*A*A*

but my uni offer is only ABB...... so now i have to drop 3 subjects and try to lower my grades in the other 3 to ABB ................ really annoyed
m1 tips, im doing c3 4 m1 as well as c1 c2 s1 this year, damn i wish i just did well last year

but im also taking a gap year to apply with known grades, so little stress oh lord
Reply 6
Original post by WEASEL espinoza
I got ACC in mocks
Predicted AAB
LOOOOOL

Oh... Well, at least there's still one month to go, and it looks like you're set to get one A!
If it's any reassurance, one of my teachers did me that normally students get 1 grade lower than they actually achieve at this point in time (if they study), so for you it'd be ABB which is pretty decent.
Reply 7
Original post by tome123
predicted A*A*A*A*A*A*

but my uni offer is only ABB...... so now i have to drop 3 subjects and try to lower my grades in the other 3 to ABB ................ really annoyed

Are you trolling me?
so ur predicted BUDC now? whens ur first exam?
Reply 9
Original post by briefcase
m1 tips, im doing c3 4 m1 as well as c1 c2 s1 this year, damn i wish i just did well last year

but im also taking a gap year to apply with known grades, so little stress oh lord

Mechanics is my weakest module to be honest, I only chose it because it worked better with my other subjects (mostly Physics, which is... not my best subject). What I did for M1 aside from regular notes was to write out all the formulae on one sheet of A4 and then do questions by topic. As I remember it's mostly just knowing how to apply the suvat equations and F=ma. Also, remember that at the highest point the vertical component of velocity is 0! I struggled so much with questions before I realised that was what I forgot.

Sorry if I misunderstood, but which are the ones you're retaking and which are the new ones? Are you doing M2? (Currently I'm looking at circular motion for Physics and since it's also in M2 I'll probably just do some M2 questions on the that topic too)

EDIT: I just re-read your post. So you're actually doing AS, right?
I'm also applying post-results... well I don't have much of a choice now, since UCAS deadline has happened :'D I also think it's better to apply when you know what you actually got.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by tome123
so ur predicted BUDC now? whens ur first exam?

4th June. Though since I still have to attend class for another few weeks I'm rounding it off to "about a month away" in my head.

Officially my predicted grades weren't changed but that was what I got in mocks. Technically it doesn't matter since I'm applying post results, but still... don't remind me how bad they are :frown:
(edited 5 years ago)
Mechanics is my weakest module to be honest, I only chose it because it worked better with my other subjects (mostly Physics, which is... not my best subject). What I did for M1 aside from regular notes was to write out all the formulae on one sheet of A4 and then do questions by topic. As I remember it's mostly just knowing how to apply the suvat equations and F=ma. Also, remember that at the highest point the vertical component of velocity is 0! I struggled so much with questions before I realised that was what I forgot.

Sorry if I misunderstood, but which are the ones you're retaking and which are the new ones? Are you doing M2? (Currently I'm looking at circular motion for Physics and since it's also in M2 I'll probably just do some M2 questions on the that topic too)

thank you!! i feel okay-ish with m1 as long as i do questions - ALOT before the exam, last year i did no past papers because i spent study leave on my phone and on my bed so I got a D overall and that was in C1/2 and S1 so im retaking those and sitting m1 c3/4 so 6 modules but if further maths can do 6 so can i right?

woah wait what?

but thanks! no im not doing m2, i do the modules mentioned above and chem and psychology, i dont think i could carry physics on after gcse, but after doing m1- even though its not exactly gcse physics, i think with the right teacher maybe i would've enjoyed physics

but you're lucky you could pick! we have to go with the schools choice, ergh i so would not have picked stats, but my teacher wasn't good either!!
4th June. Though since I still have to attend class for another few weeks I'm rounding it off to "about a month away" in my head.

Officially my predicted grades weren't changed but that was what I got in mocks. Technically it doesn't matter since I'm applying post results, but still... don't remind me how bad they are :frown:

o.o if you took your exams now what do u think ud get?
Reply 13
thank you!! i feel okay-ish with m1 as long as i do questions - ALOT before the exam, last year i did no past papers because i spent study leave on my phone and on my bed so I got a D overall and that was in C1/2 and S1 so im retaking those and sitting m1 c3/4 so 6 modules but if further maths can do 6 so can i right?

woah wait what?

but thanks! no im not doing m2, i do the modules mentioned above and chem and psychology, i dont think i could carry physics on after gcse, but after doing m1- even though its not exactly gcse physics, i think with the right teacher maybe i would've enjoyed physics

but you're lucky you could pick! we have to go with the schools choice, ergh i so would not have picked stats, but my teacher wasn't good either!!

Sorry if this reply is a bit lackluster, my browser decided to crash.

I agree that doing past papers is the best way to revise for Maths. Though I totally understand that with the stress of exams all you want to do is sleep :biggrin:

I'm doing C1,C2,C3,C4,M1,M2 for Maths and FP1,FP2,D1 for Further Maths AS, so I believe it's 6 modules per A level.

Oh boy, I sure hope that I got that fact right now :')

Original post by tome123
o.o if you took your exams now what do u think ud get?

Honestly I have no idea. I haven't really properly gone over anything recently, so I'll take a safe bet and say Cs all around. Ironically I have more confidence in Physics, my "worst subject", because I focussed on making Physics notes during the Easter Holidays and got a B-ish grade on a practice paper we did in class. However if I take some time to look over / complete my notes for the others I should be able to get back on track... I hope!
(edited 5 years ago)
Sorry if this reply is a bit lackluster, my browser decided to crash.

I agree that doing past papers is the best way to revise for Maths. Though I totally understand that with the stress of exams all you want to do is sleep :biggrin:

I'm doing C1,C2,C3,C4,M1,M2 for Maths and FP1,FP2,D1 for Further Maths AS, so I believe it's 6 modules per A level.

Oh boy, I sure hope that I got that fact right now :':wink:

golly that is alot, isnt fp quite hard? 6 modules per alevel!? if i performed as i did last year in fm, forget alevels let alone maths, i've got mad respect for you! congrats on your grades and good luck for your alevels hope all goes well man!!
Reply 15
golly that is alot, isnt fp quite hard? 6 modules per alevel!? if i performed as i did last year in fm, forget alevels let alone maths, i've got mad respect for you! congrats on your grades and good luck for your alevels hope all goes well man!!

Maths is my only modular course though. (However regardless I still have 3 papers to sit in physics...)

I've already done three of them, so it's just six this year. Just... six...
I really really hope I can pull it off, thanks for the support!

I lost track of time for a bit there, should probably go get some rest now. :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 16
It's Wednesday!

What I've already done today
- Started to go over and annotate preliminary material for Computer Science
- Also went over Advanced Notice Article for Physics in class
- Started to make a "cheat sheet"* for D1
*A sheet of paper with as many notes as possible on it in a brief format. No actual cheating involved

What I'm going to do this evening
- Finish my D1 "cheat sheet"
- Do some topic by topic D1 questions that my teacher gave me to prepare for mock on Friday
- If I have time after that, do an actual D1 paper. I haven't done any yet so I want to start with a nice easy one, maybe open book. Any suggestions for which paper to do? (AQA spec)
- If I somehow end up with some spare time after that, work on finishing my Physics notes (1 more chapter to go over, but then I have to actually commit everything to memory!)

Also, feel free to suggest revision music! I tend to just listen to the first album I can think of all the way through, though I do past papers in silence (and timed) to better mimic exam conditions.
Well, I feel like the title is pretty self-explanatory, but I'll still do a little introduction nonetheless!

I'm using this to log my progress over the month-or-so leading up to my exams, as I feel that this will help me organise my revision.

I am in year 13 and my subjects are:
Computer Science (AQA)
Mathematics with Mechanics (AQA)
Further Maths AS (AQA) which I started this year
... and Physics (OCR B)

I'm taking a gap year and plan to apply to university post-results, partly because I wanted to get an A in Physics so I could go to universities with A*A*A requirements. At university I hope to study Computer Science.

The goal? A* A* A A

My grades

Spoiler

What's going on this week?

Spoiler

Nice. So is it three currently, then Physics A Level in the gap year?
Reply 18
Original post by Kyber Ninja
Nice. So is it three currently, then Physics A Level in the gap year?

No, Physics is one of my 3 A levels, the "extra" one is a Further Maths AS level I started this year since I didn't do it in year 12. I currently don't plan to take any extra A levels in my gap year (though I've thought about doing the full Further Maths A level).
No, Physics is one of my 3 A levels, the "extra" one is a Further Maths AS level I started this year since I didn't do it in year 12. I currently don't plan to take any extra A levels in my gap year (though I've thought about doing the full Further Maths A level).

Oh right

It might be a good idea, if anything to make sure you don't get rusty

It would certainly help boost your case for Oxbridge & Imperial if you're interested in those unis

Quick Reply