Parent/40year old with tattoos and piercings opinion. Watch

Darcy37
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Whats ur opinion of a mother who gets 1st tattoo & piercing (other than lobes) at 40?
Not a midlife crisis, just taking ownership of my life/body.
Do u have a tattoo or piercing, where & how many??
Any negative reactions from family/friends?
Feastful
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
1. Whats ur opinion of a mother who gets 1st tattoo & piercing (other than lobes) at 40?

No strong feelings on it one way or the other.

I think my opinions would more depend on whether it was a good tattoo/piercing or not (for they vary immensely in quality and aesthetics, etc). I'd judge someone more for having a bad tattoo than having a tattoo in general (which I have no fundamental problem with whatsoever). The only issue with this is that I believe that most people's choices in tattoos (design & execution of design/choice of artist etc) are more often than not pretty sub par.

NEVER skimp on costs when it comes to tattoos (when it comes to tattoos, you really get what you pay for!).

2. Do u have a tattoo or piercing, where & how many?? I used to have piercings (3 in each ear) between age 16-19 however eventually I let the holes grow over as I got tied of catching the piercings on things (hairbrush, putting on shirts etc). 2 of the 6 standard piercing holes healed over perfectly however the other 4 did not (appearing much the same as they did when they were fully open). It is annoying because the lower lobe holes were uneven and could negatively affect any new holes put in the surrounding area (and apparently its a bad idea to have old holes re-peirced), so ever since I stopped wearing earrings/studs, I've never had my ears pierced again.

At various points in my life I seriously considered getting a tattoo, however in the end, I decided that I didn't feel passionate enough about any sole design to feel like it was something I'd want to sport on my skin for the rest of my life. My tastes in fashions and personal style have been too changing over the course of my life to ever feel confident enough in committing to any sole design.

3. Any negative reactions from family/friends?

None whatsoever, and my piercings also never presented any issue in work environments either (though in a work environment I wore small & unobtrusive silver studs in my ears). I think people's attitudes have changed a lot these past 20 years, and that as long as the tattoos or piercings are tastefully done, then most people are very accepting (even welcoming) of them.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have a bunch of tattoos (right arm sleeve 80% done, left half sleeve, 50% of chest). My Nans complained at first because being aul Scouse birds, they associated tattoos with gangs or the military and though they were a bit distasteful and overly macho. Eventually they got over it.
shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Darcy37)
Whats ur opinion of a mother who gets 1st tattoo & piercing (other than lobes) at 40?
Not a midlife crisis, just taking ownership of my life/body.
Do u have a tattoo or piercing, where & how many??
Any negative reactions from family/friends?
No opinion.
No tattoos. Although considered it before.
No reaction.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm not the type to judge someone for what they're entitled to do to their own body. My partner got two tattoos when he was in his late 30s/early 40s and they look good. What other people think shouldn't matter, especially at 40.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (425)
18.68%
The paper was reasonable (1075)
47.25%
Not feeling great about that exam... (505)
22.2%
It was TERRIBLE (270)
11.87%

Watched Threads