Turn on thread page Beta

Brother erased my memory stick on deadline day watch

Announcements

I have 2 memory sticks. My brother needed to use one, so I moved everything from memory stick A to memory stick B. I was in the front room and I thought he was coming in so I said I've left the blank one on the table because it was on the table in the front room, then I left to meet a friend. My brother, somehow, walked past the memory stick on the front room table, and for whatever reason took the other memory stick (with all my stuff on it) off of my desk. He wiped it clean and put his stuff on it. Simultaneously, my laptop was working at half speed and glitching and at one point full on shut down because the memory was so full, so I deleted anything on my laptop that I had copies of on this memory stick that got wiped.Because of this every version of my coursework has been deleted. The coursework was due Monday. Today is Wednesday.
    My teacher is really nice. I have anaemia and I get migraines, and her nephew used to have anaemia and *she* gets migraines, so she gets that I get sick a lot (one time she even let me ring my mum for a lift and leave early when I felt sick in class). I missed her class Monday (deadline day) because I was ill and I have to miss class with her again Friday for a GP appointment and she's okayed all of this. So, yeah, she really does let me get away with a lot.
    This coursework is 40% of my grade. I'm not continuing this course past AS level so I'm not going to be able to make it up if I don't have this coursework, however, the coursework is too big to redo between now and my next lesson with her, even if I pulled an all nighter, but the idea of going to her and saying "sorry, miss, my brother got rid of everything on my memory stick so I need an extension" feels a lot like taking the mic and she's been so great all year I really don't want to take advantage.
    What should I do???

ReputationRep:
    kill your brother...it's the only acceptable revenge...or...just talk to your parents...have them take you to school in the car while tying your brother to the back of the car making him run with the car on the way to school and explain everything to the teacher...after that take everything your brother has of value...phone...pc...etc and keep them until you finish your new coursework...now of course...it's your choice...i recommend the first...works wonders.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Punch ur brother in the face and tell him to redo ur work for you by ur dead line .. because how did he mistake table for desk...
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have 2 memory sticks. My brother needed to use one, so I moved everything from memory stick A to memory stick B. I was in the front room and I thought he was coming in so I said I've left the blank one on the table because it was on the table in the front room, then I left to meet a friend. My brother, somehow, walked past the memory stick on the front room table, and for whatever reason took the other memory stick (with all my stuff on it) off of my desk. He wiped it clean and put his stuff on it. Simultaneously, my laptop was working at half speed and glitching and at one point full on shut down because the memory was so full, so I deleted anything on my laptop that I had copies of on this memory stick that got wiped.Because of this every version of my coursework has been deleted. The coursework was due Monday. Today is Wednesday.
    My teacher is really nice. I have anaemia and I get migraines, and her nephew used to have anaemia and *she* gets migraines, so she gets that I get sick a lot (one time she even let me ring my mum for a lift and leave early when I felt sick in class). I missed her class Monday (deadline day) because I was ill and I have to miss class with her again Friday for a GP appointment and she's okayed all of this. So, yeah, she really does let me get away with a lot.
    This coursework is 40% of my grade. I'm not continuing this course past AS level so I'm not going to be able to make it up if I don't have this coursework, however, the coursework is too big to redo between now and my next lesson with her, even if I pulled an all nighter, but the idea of going to her and saying "sorry, miss, my brother got rid of everything on my memory stick so I need an extension" feels a lot like taking the mic and she's been so great all year I really don't want to take advantage.
    What should I do???
    Didnt you post about this last night?

Get the memory stick back and then get an IT geek to look at recovering the items either from the stick or your hard drive.

ReputationRep:
    Have you run Recuva on your laptop yet?

(Original post by HorribleDude)
    kill your brother...it's the only acceptable revenge...or...just talk to your parents...have them take you to school in the car while tying your brother to the back of the car making him run with the car on the way to school and explain everything to the teacher...after that take everything your brother has of value...phone...pc...etc and keep them until you finish your new coursework...now of course...it's your choice...i recommend the first...works wonders.
    I'm honestly awestruck by the sheer raw power of this response.

(Original post by EmilyH1256)
    Punch ur brother in the face and tell him to redo ur work for you by ur dead line .. because how did he mistake table for desk...
    Deadline was 2 days ago. Missed it bc ill. Today is the next lesson I have for this subject so I assume I have to hand it in today but... y'know, all of the above.

(Original post by 999tigger)
    Didnt you post about this last night?

Get the memory stick back and then get an IT geek to look at recovering the items either from the stick or your hard drive.
    No... omfg is someone else having the same problem? I'm afraid I already took it to IT and they said basically "he deleted it. we can't magically get it back." and I checked recycle bin but he cleared it out so the bin is empty. (no clue why he felt the need to do that but then again I also don't know why he felt the need to erase a clearly in use memory stick)
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster

Deadline was 2 days ago. Missed it bc ill. Today is the next lesson I have for this subject so I assume I have to hand it in today but... y'know, all of the above.

No... omfg is someone else having the same problem? I'm afraid I already took it to IT and they said basically "he deleted it. we can't magically get it back." and I checked recycle bin but he cleared it out so the bin is empty. (no clue why he felt the need to do that but then again I also don't know why he felt the need to erase a clearly in use memory stick)
    Last night al;most identical with 2 USB sticks a deadline and a teacher who they managed to twist around their finger. Id be surprised if it wasnt you. Too many coincidences. Ask Gofre or Acsel about recovery software. Worth a try

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phaidon)
    Have you run Recuva on your laptop yet?
    ^Answer this

ReputationRep:
    So he didn't check the stick to see if it was clear? He sounds like an idiot really. Sounds like you won't get it back from the stick but your laptop might be recoverable.

(Original post by Bio 7)
    So he didn't check the stick to see if it was clear? He sounds like an idiot really. Sounds like you won't get it back from the stick but your laptop might be recoverable.
    No, he saw it had stuff on it. Because I was rushing out the door he saw about 2 years of work and for some reason assumed I hadn't had time to clear it, so he did it himself. The laptop has since updated so the recycling bin was emptied, and I handed my laptop to the IT dept at college, begging them for help (after deleting my internet history) and they said they hadn't been able to get the coursework back.

ReputationRep:
    No, he saw it had stuff on it. Because I was rushing out the door he saw about 2 years of work and for some reason assumed I hadn't had time to clear it, so he did it himself. The laptop has since updated so the recycling bin was emptied, and I handed my laptop to the IT dept at college, begging them for help (after deleting my internet history) and they said they hadn't been able to get the coursework back.
    My opinion so far hasn't changed about him. If you need to get that work done again then he better be helping since he didn't bother to chexk if there was a clear stick.

And why did it need to be cleared, did it not have enough space?

(Original post by Bio 7)
    My opinion so far hasn't changed about him. If you need to get that work done again then he better be helping since he didn't bother to chexk if there was a clear stick.

The USB or the laptop? My brother said at first that the USB needed to be cleared so he could use it for school and it did sound a bit stupid for both of us to share a memory stick when I had 2 and then when I found out it wasn't for school, it was for a video game, he said that the game had to be the only thing on the USB or it wouldn't work on his PS4 (sounded weird to me but whatever). The laptop was slowing down, glitching, even at one point switching off for no reason, because there was so little memory.

(Original post by Bio 7)

And I did need to redo it in the end, but he's said that we can have the lessons with him this week to work on it, and he's extended the final deadline to not the Friday coming, but the one after that (27th). I guess not enough people were finished?

ReputationRep:
    And I did need to redo it in the end, but he's said that we can have the lessons with him this week to work on it, and he's extended the final deadline to not the Friday coming, but the one after that (27th). I guess not enough people were finished?
    At least a redo should be easier. Good luck with it, I hope his game crashes to even things out.

ReputationRep:
    Download and use Pandora Recovery if your file was stored on your PC. It may be able to recover it from your hard drive.

ReputationRep:

You need a qualified 'hacker', the IT "people" at your uni/school don't qualify. It IS possible to recover erased files. I'm not particularly good at it, but i've watched it being done. You may have to settle for fragments of some of them, but if you wrote the original document, or know something about what the document says, it makes it easier. A 'forensic copy' program is a start. It allows you to make an exact copy of what is on the erased drive. The conventional 'copy' programs will only copy files that have names appearing in the drive 'directory'. The first thing that happens when you 'delete' something, is that the first character of the file name is replaced with a 'special' character (often in windoze, it is a sigma). This keeps things like the 'dir' command from recognizing the entry as a file name. Somebody with MoD contacts in computer security might be able to help. Why didn't you burn everything to a CD or DvD. They are not erasable (the cheap ones). Good luck!!!! Next time keep at least 2 backup copies somewhere else than your normal work area!

ReputationRep:
    i wouldn't let him out of the room til he re did it all :/

ReputationRep:
    They are not deleted.

When you delete something from a Flash drive or Hard drive, all it does it delete the path to the file.
    It's all still on your PC.
    If you PM me, I will be able to help you recover your work although it will be a lengthy process (15-30min).

ReputationRep:
    you can store files in the "cloud" for free...

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-b...-cloud-storage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmilyH1256)
    this ***** is going places

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.