The Student Room Group

Advice on dealing with mental health and GCSEs

So I’m year 11 and GCSEs are just a month away.

Since I started secondary school, I’ve struggled with mental health. I stopped talking to my parents but I don’t know why, it’s almost like a physically could not speak to them. Ive always been an anxious person but secondary school seemed to worsen that. I was constantly have panic attacks and dealt with anxiety on a day to day basis. I was picked on a bit for being quite small and geeky looking and shy , I was an easy target.

It was only around in year 9 that things started to get bad. My best friend and I kind of drifted apart. Me not really having any other friends, I was really lonely. I was a nervous wreck, I couldn’t talk to anyone about how I was feeling. This lead to the discovery of self harm.

When year 10 started I instantly regretted the options I had taken. I was told that it would get better hundreds of times but it never did. My teacher has an extrovert personality and is quite loud and is driven on success. But he’s extremely hard to talk to to ask for help. Honestly, I’m absolutely petrified of him. Going to his lessons, I feel physically sick and like I’m going to pass out. I’ve had days off just because I can’t mentally handle his lesson. He’s one of those teachers who seem to see our grade rather than us as people. I know this sounds dramatic but you’d understand my view if you met him. It’s not necessarily the lesson I can’t do l, although I got a 3 I’m it whereas in every other subject I got at least a 6.
Does anyone else have this or understand what I mean?

It’s not the only subject I find hard but it is by far the one I find hardest and the one I seem to dread the most.

The school has recently found out about my mental health, including self harm, and are going to invest some money into private counselling for me- although I’ve heard nothing yet.

I’ve opened up to my mum about my struggles. My obssedive need to do well, struggling with a teacher who’s just bothered about the output , my health and taking an extra GCSE.

Recently, my mum has refused to let this teacher speak to me after a fiasco involving him being inappropriate in discussing my aparant ‘lack’ of effort or work to a sibling and putting me under too much pressure. He gaves me less than a week, 4 days to be precise, notice to practice something for this exam person. Currently on day 2 and I’ve already gotten harsh words spoken about me. I honestly have no idea what to do.

Do you think I could drop the subject with a month left before exams? I have taken n extra subject so I’ll still have the same amount as everyone.
I know it’s less than 3 months left but I honestly don’t think it’s going to do be any good. I’m going to fail the exam anyway it’s too hard, I’ll still have the same amount of GCSEs, I can use the extra time to revise and become more confident and is it a good idea having lessons with a person who could potentially effect my health. I feel as if I’ve only just gotten things relatively back under control but I know it’s only a matter of time until I loose it again. I just think he could trigger it, especially with what has happened within the last few days and that messy situation.

Sorry for a long post, I’d appreciate any advice.
Reply 1
stay strong think of the long summer to relax
I had this but during A Levels.

If you feel that dropping the subject is the best choice for your health and your education action then talk to a teacher about it and see if that is possible. If it is then do it, you know yourself the best.

As for getting help. I would advisend you go see your GP about what has been going on with the anxiety and self harming. This way you can get professional counselling and be diagnosed if possible.

If you need any help and advice then you can PM me if you need to, I don't mind trying to help where I can.

Good luck with exams and I hope all goes well

Quick Reply

Latest