The Student Room Group

Btec with/without a level

Need some advice. I want to do Btec IT in college. Should I do the diploma Btec in IT and study it with a level economics or should I just study the extended diploma in IT alone without any other courses. Would my opinions be more open if I choose one or the other. And what would look better a B in economics or an extra D in IT Btec. I want to go uni so will the Btec alone be just enough to get good courses.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What university course do you want to do? Because, from my own experience, if you have the option just do your a levels. You can get into some OK universities (though TSR may be kinda dismissive of your choices) but if you want to do computer science in a good university or other computing courses. They will want you to have an A level in mathematics (this is one they ask for specifically) at B or higher, at very least.

That was actually the determining factor for why I was rejected from a few universities as I only have the extended diploma in IT.
Original post by Erebus_C
What university course do you want to do? Because, from my own experience, if you have the option just do your a levels. You can get into some OK universities (though TSR may be kinda dismissive of your choices) but if you want to do computer science in a good university or other computing courses. They will want you to have an A level in mathematics (this is one they ask for specifically) at B or higher, at very least.

That was actually the determining factor for why I was rejected from a few universities as I only have the extended diploma in IT.

Hi , :smile: thanks for your reply. Which uni did u end up getting into with just the extended diploma in IT. And what are you studying
Reply 3
Original post by Studentsmannny
Hi , :smile: thanks for your reply. Which uni did u end up getting into with just the extended diploma in IT. And what are you studying

I have been accepted into the university of Greenwich for computer science. It's an okay university, not going to Impress anyone but it could be a lot worse. Two of my rejections (one for a foundation year lol) simply said "You don't have the grades" or "Sorry, we require an A level in maths".
Would u consider the IT course hard?
for most leading universities you will need A level Maths grade A in addition to extended BTEC diploma or 2 other A levels usually at grade A or above. Doing economics A level wont help you.
A grade A in maths to do which subject ?
A grade A in maths to do which subject ?

Computer science, economics or Engineeriing
i have taken this from Bristol forComputer Science
D*DD in Engineering plus either A in A-level Mathematics or achieving the required level in the University of Bristol Mathematics Test
Reply 9
Need some advice. I want to do Btec IT in college. Should I do the diploma Btec in IT and study it with a level economics or should I just study the extended diploma in IT alone without any other courses. Would my opinions be more open if I choose one or the other. And what would look better a B in economics or an extra D in IT Btec. I want to go uni so will the Btec alone be just enough to get good courses.

I think you posted this across different threads.

In terms of good courses with the BTEC alone there are plenty.

People from my BTEC Extended got into top units including: Manchester, UCL, Southampton, Surrey, Bath, Royal Holloway, Cardiff and Kings College London.

With the IT Extended Diploma it is probably most suited to ITMB (which you can get on to do at UCL with DDD grades) or a Computing or Computer Science degree which is what I did and I'm now studying for an MSc at a top 10 uni. And the IT BTEC would also allow you to take a Business related degree so it gives you a much wider range than the Business Extended Diploma too.

The A level in Economics would be pointless in my opinion because no Economics degrees will require it at A level, rather they would require Mathematics A level for good courses.
Sorry. Just really stressed as I have done one year of 3 a levels and found them really hard.
Reply 11
Sorry. Just really stressed as I have done one year of 3 a levels and found them really hard.

What is of you want to do at uni?
Something either in IT or business
Reply 13
Something either in IT or business

Then I would definitely recommend the IT BTEC Extended Diploma.

See these degree courses:

β€’

UCL (BSc Information Management for Business) - http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/information-management-business-bsc/ - Accept: DDD grades - Ranked 7th in UK and in Russell Group

β€’

Lancaster (BSc Management and Information Technology) - http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/management-and-information-technology-bsc-hons-gn52/#course-entry - Accept: DDD grades - Ranked 9th in UK

β€’

Bath (BSc Computer Science and Business) - http://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate-2019/computer-science/bsc-computer-science-with-business/#entry-requirements - Accept: D*DD-DDD grades - Ranked 11th in UK

β€’

UEA (BSc Business Information Systems) - https://www2.uea.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degree/detail/bsc-business-information-systems - Accept: DDM - Ranked 12th in UK

β€’

Surrey (BSc Computing and IT) - https://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/computing-and-information-technology - Accept: DDD grades - Ranked 13th

These are all excellent universities who offer joint courses in IT/Computing and Business/Management and all accept the BTEC Extended Diploma. As well as these there are plenty more top universities that offer straight courses in Business or Computer Science/Computing or IT that accept the BTEC too.

Does this reassure you?
(edited 5 years ago)
I l0C763626-AF1B-4E9C-9D08-7AADFA70ACB5.jpg.jpeg
Manchester was hoping to be my first option but then when I look it says the btec extended diploma needs to be taker alongside a levels. Do you know how this works
Reply 15
I l0C763626-AF1B-4E9C-9D08-7AADFA70ACB5.jpg.jpeg
Manchester was hoping to be my first option but then when I look it says the btec extended diploma needs to be taker alongside a levels. Do you know how this works

That says an Extended Certificate (worth 1 A level)

Follow the link to the course at Manchester that I sent and it states D*D*D in an Extended Diploma (No A levels) - my friend did this course at Manchester with just the BTEC Extended Diploma in IT so I know they accept it
(edited 5 years ago)
Cheers. Honestly you’ve been the biggest help
Reply 17
Cheers. Honestly you’ve been the biggest help

No problem at all, let me know if you need to know any more.

Good luck
Original post by yt7777
I think you posted this across different threads.

In terms of good courses with the BTEC alone there are plenty.

People from my BTEC Extended got into top units including: Manchester, UCL, Southampton, Surrey, Bath, Royal Holloway, Cardiff and Kings College London.

With the IT Extended Diploma it is probably most suited to ITMB (which you can get on to do at UCL with DDD grades) or a Computing or Computer Science degree which is what I did and I'm now studying for an MSc at a top 10 uni. And the IT BTEC would also allow you to take a Business related degree so it gives you a much wider range than the Business Extended Diploma too.

The A level in Economics would be pointless in my opinion because no Economics degrees will require it at A level, rather they would require Mathematics A level for good courses.

Man, that is not my experience at all. I applied to kings college and Manchester (foundation year for Manchester). King's in particular turned down my application within seconds of noticing that I did not have maths a level, and I am predicted to get D*D*D*.
Reply 19
Original post by Erebus_C
Man, that is not my experience at all. I applied to kings college and Manchester (foundation year for Manchester). King's in particular turned down my application within seconds of noticing that I did not have maths a level, and I am predicted to get D*D*D*.

For which course?

Quick Reply

Latest