The Student Room Group

Btec with/without a level

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doonesbury
For which course?

Computer science, so maybe I am looking at very different courses than he is suggesting. I am having difficulty with the phone app so I may have missed something.
Reply 21
Original post by Erebus_C
Computer science, so maybe I am looking at very different courses than he is suggesting. I am having difficulty with the phone app so I may have missed something.

Yup - "top" universities are likely to require A-level Maths for CompSci, but not for Business or IT courses.
Original post by Doonesbury
Yup - "top" universities are likely to require A-level Maths for CompSci, but not for Business or IT courses.

yeah, pretty much. Even got a nice old "don't have the grades" when I applied for the foundation year at Manchester! Hence my confusion.
Reply 23
yeah, pretty much. Even got a nice old "don't have the grades" when I applied for the foundation year at Manchester! Hence my confusion.

Manchester says they will accept a BTEC Extended Diploma for the CS foundation year, but perhaps your particular BTEC didn't have enough maths content for them.

"BTEC Extended Diploma: Students are accepted from a wide range of educational backgrounds and all qualifications are considered on their individual merits. Entry and the type of offer made will be dependent on the level and amount of Mathematics and Science taken. Decision are based on the application as a whole, including your qualifications, your personal statement and your academic reference. In all cases we only offer places to applicants if we are convinced that they have the academic potential and the high level of motivation that is needed to be successful on the Integrated Foundation Year and on their chosen degree programme to be undertaken after successfully completing the foundation year. Please contact the academic School for further information on your suitability to study on our Integrated Foundation Year."

http://www.cs.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/foundation/index.htm?code=00660&pg=3#alternativeEntryRequirements
Reply 24
Man, that is not my experience at all. I applied to kings college and Manchester (foundation year for Manchester). King's in particular turned down my application within seconds of noticing that I did not have maths a level, and I am predicted to get D*D*D*.

I believe Kings recently changed their requirements (lest year or 2) to include Maths or Computer Science at A level in addition to the Extended Diploma, I applied before this.

Did you apply for Computer Science at Manchester or ITMB?

Manchester are strict for Computer Science due to the heavy maths focus with in the course so require an A in A level Maths as standard for all offers. However, ITMB doesn't you should be able to go for direct entry on that course with the Extended Diploma on its own, as I said previously I know people who have done this course with the BTEC alone so if you were rejected for ITMB with D*D*D* predictions then it was most likely due to other aspects of your application.

EDIT: Missed your post stating you applied for Comp Sci
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 25

Where else did you apply? There are still plenty of solid universities that accept with out A level Maths

Lancaster (BSc Computer Science) - DDD - ranked 18th for Comp Sci and 9th overall

Royal Holloway (BSc Computer Science) - DDD - ranked 27th for Comp Sci (where I went)

Surrey (BSc Computing and IT) - DDD - ranked 12th for Comp Sci

Bath (BSc Computer Science) - D*DD-DDD + A in GCSE Maths - ranked 11th for Comp Sci

Nottingham (BSc Computer Science) - D*D*D* - ranked 25th for Comp Sci

UEA (BSc Computing Science) - DDM - ranked 31st for Comp Sci and 12th overall

Even the Information Management course at UCL looks like a great alternative to Comp Sci as it includes modules in Programming (1 and 2), Software Engineering, Web Technologies, Database Systems, Analytics etc. and is developed with industrial partners e.g. IBM, Morgan Stanley and Accenture. And Graduate destinations include Software Engineers and Technology Analysts - Similar outcomes to most Comp Sci grads and the course requires DDD - http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/information-management-business-bsc/
(edited 6 years ago)
Taken from Birmingham

BTEC

BTEC Extended Diploma/Diploma qualifications will only be considered if accompanied by A level Mathematics.
Grades: BSc; D*D* plus A-level Maths at grade A.

BTEC Subsidiary Diploma will be considered in combination with 2 A levels including Mathematics.
Grades: BSc; D* plus A-level AA.
The BTEC Extended Diploma alone will be considered for our Physical Sciences Foundation Year programme (DDD required)

This is from Exeter

BTEC Extended Diploma (2010 and 2016)

Applicants studying a BTEC Extended Diploma will also require GCE AL Maths grade B
Durham states
We accept BTEC qualifications minimum DDD but this MUST be accompanied by an A grade at A level Mathematics (or equivalent)

ly be considered if accompanied by A level Mathematics.
Grades: BSc; D*D* plus A-level Maths at grade A.

BTEC Subsidiary Diploma will be considered in combination with 2 A levels including Mathematics.
Grades: BSc; D* plus A-level AA.
The BTEC Extended Diploma alone will be considered for our Physical Sciences Foundation Year programme (DDD required)
(edited 6 years ago)
here is another requiring a level Maths from Loughborough
BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate: D plus grades AB in 2 A-Levels including Maths or BTEC Level 3 National Diploma: D*D* plus grade B in A-Level Maths
So your saying am screwed with just doin the extended diploma btec in iT
no but you will be very restricted if you are looking at a leading university. Contrary to what has been said about Bath I list their entry requirements.In EXEPTIONAL circumstances they accept without A level Maths if grade A in GCSE Maths has been achieved.

i offer

BTEC Typical offer

D*DD or DDD

DDD in the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma (QCF)/ BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (RQF) plus grade A in A level Mathematics.

D*DD in the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma (QCF)/ BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (RQF) plus grade A in AS level Mathematics.

We prefer the above qualifications in Computing but we are also able to consider the above qualifications in IT, alongside an A level or AS level in Mathematics. We prefer you to have studied some of the following units: Data Modelling, Software Testing, Object-oriented programming, Systems Analysis and Design. Your offer will be based on the type and level of qualifications that you are taking.

In exceptional circumstances we may be able to consider students without an AS or A level in Mathematics: you must have achieved a grade A in GCSE Mathematics, have a strong academic record, and provide evidence of ongoing engagement with mathematics as a part of your post-16 academic profile. In such cases, you may be invited to an interview as part of the application process if your application looks suitable.

D*DD or DDD

DDD in the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma (QCF)/ BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (RQF) plus grade A in A level Mathematics.

D*DD in the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma (QCF)/ BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (RQF) plus grade A in AS level Mathematics.

We prefer the above qualifications in Computing but we are also able to consider the above qualifications in IT, alongside an A level or AS level in Mathematics. We prefer you to have studied some of the following units: Data Modelling, Software Testing, Object-oriented programming, Systems Analysis and Design. Your offer will be based on the type and level of qualifications that you are taking.

In exceptional circumstances we may be able to consider students without an AS or A level in Mathematics: you must have achieved a grade A in GCSE Mathematics, have a strong academic record, and provide evidence of ongoing engagement with mathematics as a part of your post-16 academic profile. In such cases, you may be invited to an interview as part of the application process if your application looks suitable.
Reply 30
Original post by swanseajack1
here is another requiring a level Maths from Loughborough
BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate: D plus grades AB in 2 A-Levels including Maths or BTEC Level 3 National Diploma: D*D* plus grade B in A-Level Maths

Original post by Studentsmannny

No! It depends on the course. And I think @swansea jack1 missed a bit from that Loughborough example:

For http://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/a-z/information-management-and-business/
no A-level is needed if you have DDD in a BTEC Extended Diploma

BTEC
BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate: D plus two A Levels (at least one of which should be from our preferred subject list) at grades AB.
BTEC National Diploma: DD plus one preferred A Level at grade B.
National Extended Diploma: DDD
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 31
@swanseajack1 - Studentsmannny wants to apply for an IT/Business related degree which all universities accept the BTEC for - As previously mentioned, including top unis like UCL, Manchester, Loughborough, Lancaster. Also, there are plenty of great unis which don't have the Maths requirement, as previously mentioned: Nottingham, Surrey (CIT), Bath, Royal Holloway, Lancaster, Queen Mary, Cardiff, Sussex etc.

(@Studentsmannny this isn't relevant for you if you're not considering a Computer Science degree, if you do decide to consider CompSci look at the above list)

No, not at all! The examples given by swanseajack1 were for some Computer Science degrees, where some universities require A level Maths as standard. For ITMB/Business IT you should be able to go anywhere with the BTEC Extended Diploma in IT on its own - the only good uni which hasn't listed its BTEC requirements (that I can find) is Exeter which might be worth enquiring about - Link
the details i have provided were for computer science and it is very important that the information given is accurate. Most top unis require Maths A level for computer science. The same applies to a large number of top universities for Economics or Engineering. Manchester and Loughborough want maths along with Bath, Exeter, Bristol, Birngham and Durham plus many others. If the OP wants comuter science or Economics then Maths will be a requirement to get in. For many other subjects the Btec is accepted other than many science subjects where Chemistry or Biology a level is required in addition to Btec usually in applied science.
Reply 33
the details i have provided were for computer science and it is very important that the information given is accurate. Most top unis require Maths A level for computer science. The same applies to a large number of top universities for Economics or Engineering. Manchester and Loughborough want maths along with Bath, Exeter, Bristol, Birngham and Durham plus many others. If the OP wants comuter science or Economics then Maths will be a requirement to get in. For many other subjects the Btec is accepted other than many science subjects where Chemistry or Biology a level is required in addition to Btec usually in applied science.

And as noted in the thread the OP wants to do IT or Business not CompSci

Something either in IT or business
Reply 35

This is not a set in stone requirement.

Spoiler

I added the Computer Science/Business course at Bath in as an option because the OP might have an A in GCSE like Bath state, and his BTEC might contain Mathematics based modules (which would be at level 3) e.g. 'Mathematics for IT Practitioners', 'Data Analysis' or (in the new spec) some content in 'Principles of Computer Science' and 'Fundamentals of Computer Systems' could satisfy the "engagement with mathematics as a part of your post-16 academic profile" requirement.

Additionally, if the OP was set on the course at Bath they could take AS Mathematics alongside the 2nd year of the Extended Diploma.

Which other courses are you referring to?
n terms of good courses with the BTEC alone there are plenty.

People from my BTEC Extended got into top units including: Manchester, UCL, Southampton, Surrey, Bath, Royal Holloway, Cardiff and Kings College London.

With the IT Extended Diploma it is probably most suited to ITMB (which you can get on to do at UCL with DDD grades) or a Computing or Computer Science degree which is what I did and I'm now studying for an MSc at a top 10 uni.

ucl dont accept btec even with an a level for computer science. Manchester, Kings and Bath require A level maths at least unless EXCPTIONAL CIRCUMSTANCES which are going to be very rare. There are very few top universities who take BTEC'S for Computer Science without A level Maths and the comments above are misleading Ithink maybe Lancaster do and maybe a couple of others but the comment above misleads OP
AL
Reply 37
n terms of good courses with the BTEC alone there are plenty.

People from my BTEC Extended got into top unis including: Manchester, UCL, Southampton, Surrey, Bath, Royal Holloway, Cardiff and Kings College London.

With the IT Extended Diploma it is probably most suited to ITMB (which you can get on to do at UCL with DDD grades) or a Computing or Computer Science degree which is what I did and I'm now studying for an MSc at a top 10 uni.

ucl dont accept btec even with an a level for computer science. Manchester, Kings and Bath require A level maths at least unless EXCPTIONAL CIRCUMSTANCES which are going to be very rare. There are very few top universities who take BTEC'S for Computer Science without A level Maths and the comments above are misleading Ithink maybe Lancaster do and maybe a couple of others but the comment above misleads OP
AL

That list is inclusive of both Comp Sci and ITMB/IMB courses, UCL accept for BSc IMB, Southampton accept for BSc IT in Organisations (which I've just looked up isn't running this year) and Surrey accept for BSc Computing & IT.

Agreed, Kings no longer accept without an additional A level, but when I applied Kings accepted the extended diploma with DDD, my friend got in with DDD (no A levels) and has just graduated from there so technically my statement is true.

Bold: I never said UCL accepted for Comp Sci, I said they accept for BSc ITMB, which they do - http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/information-management-business-bsc/

I disagree that they are misleading, the OP was looking for IT/Business related courses, but I happened to mention that they can also do Computer Science with the IT BTEC if they wanted, no where did I say that list was strictly for Computer Science nor did I say that they could get in somewhere that was impossible. If anything your comments reeling off the few universities that don't accept without Maths A level seemed to confuse the OP more as they responded thinking they were "screwed" if they took the BTEC course, which is very much untrue.
Original post by yt7777
That list is inclusive of both Comp Sci and ITMB/IMB courses, UCL accept for BSc IMB, Southampton accept for BSc IT in Organisations (which I've just looked up isn't running this year) and Surrey accept for BSc Computing & IT.

Agreed, Kings no longer accept without an additional A level, but when I applied Kings accepted the extended diploma with DDD, my friend got in with DDD (no A levels) and has just graduated from there so technically my statement is true.

Bold: I never said UCL accepted for Comp Sci, I said they accept for BSc ITMB, which they do - http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/information-management-business-bsc/

I disagree that they are misleading, the OP was looking for IT/Business related courses, but I happened to mention that they can also do Computer Science with the IT BTEC if they wanted, no where did I say that list was strictly for Computer Science nor did I say that they could get in somewhere that was impossible. If anything your comments reeling off the few universities that don't accept without Maths A level seemed to confuse the OP more as they responded thinking they were "screwed" if they took the BTEC course, which is very much untrue.

if you look at my earlier posts you will find I listed the subjects computer science, ecocomics and engineering as requiring Maths in addition to BTEC. In answer to the screwed comment i said no but getting into most leading universities for Computer Science was unlikely without A level Maths.
That is the case and it isnt a few universities. Most top 30 universities want this. These include Bath, Bristol, Exeter, Durham, kings, Birmingham, Manchester, and Loughborough. UCL doesnt accept it foor this subject at all. That is 9 leading univerities without full research. The likelyhood is you can add the likes of Oxford, Cambridge and Wawick amongst many others to it.
Reply 39
if you look at my earlier posts you will find I listed the subjects computer science, ecocomics and engineering as requiring Maths in addition to BTEC. In answer to the screwed comment i said no but getting into most leading universities for Computer Science was unlikely without A level Maths.
That is the case and it isnt a few universities. Most top 30 universities want this. These include Bath, Bristol, Exeter, Durham, kings, Birmingham, Manchester, and Loughborough. UCL doesnt accept it foor this subject at all. That is 9 leading univerities without full research. The likelyhood is you can add the likes of Oxford, Cambridge and Wawick amongst many others to it.

Bold: By 'this subject' are you referring to to IMB or CS at UCL?
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest