The Student Room Group

How do you cope with exam stress?

Exam season is nearing, stress levels are rising...
There's loads of people looking for advice on how to lower their stress levels, so let's share:

What's your best tip for lowering exam stress?

I'll start :h: Take a bottle of water in with you. If you come to a question you just don't know where to start, take a sip of water, calm down your breathing and then start writing what you do know (or planning if it's a longer question).

Scroll to see replies

I always spend a minute or two relaxing after the exam starts :hmmmm:

I know it probably wouldn't work for everyone, but I always used to work too fast anyway and sitting there quietly for a minute or two before turning over my paper always used to make me feel in control and calm. :stupid:
Prior to exams, I like to keep my breathing under control by breathing deeply and trying not to get panicky.

During exams, I like to remember the idea 'don't get stuck, move on', which I think came from my maths teacher in secondary school. Whenever I come to a question I can't immediately answer, I put a little mark by it and move on until I can answer one. Then at the end of the exam (if there's time) I go back over the questions I marked and see if I can think of anything having done the rest of the paper :smile:
Don't cope with it like comforting eating and crying like I did 😶
Original post by Evil Homer

I know it probably wouldn't work for everyone, but I always used to work too fast anyway and sitting there quietly for a minute or two before turning over my paper always used to make me feel in control and calm. :stupid:

If I did this my stress levels would shoot up to infinity :biggrin:
Original post by Lemur14
There's loads of people looking for advice on how to lower their stress levels, so let's share:

I'll start :h: Take a bottle of water in with you. If you come to a question you just don't know where to start, take a sip of water, calm down your breathing and then start writing what you do know (or planning if it's a longer question).

Bang my gf

If I had one
Original post by Evil Homer

I have been known to do this, or even in the middle of an exam :redface: I go shaky if stressed which makes my already not great handwriting worse so I have to take a minute to calm down or they won't be able to read it!
I'm also horrendous for not finishing exams though so it's a balancing act!
Original post by Leviathan1741
Prior to exams, I like to keep my breathing under control by breathing deeply and trying not to get panicky.

During exams, I like to remember the idea 'don't get stuck, move on', which I think came from my maths teacher in secondary school. Whenever I come to a question I can't immediately answer, I put a little mark by it and move on until I can answer one. Then at the end of the exam (if there's time) I go back over the questions I marked and see if I can think of anything having done the rest of the paper :smile:

Yeah that's a really good tip :yep: I also tend to leave the long answer questions (the only subject I do with them is computing so not many) whether I can answer it or not as I'm bad at spending too long on it so best not to miss out easier marks from doing the that question!
Original post by CoolCavy
Don't cope with it like comforting eating and crying like I did 😶

:console: Eating is important though!
Original post by Kyber Ninja
Bang my gf

If I had one

Wasn't quite the type of tip I was thinking of... :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14

If you feel yourself getting stressed at any point during the exam. stop and ask yourself a very simple question about your stress:

"IS THIS USEFUL?"

It seems like a nothing thing, but honestly it really can help calm and focus your mind. Stress in an exam is almost never helpful, so by asking yourself this question can really help calm you.
I just say to myself that this is not the end of the world and there is always an alternative pathway.
I pray before the exam begins.. Discreetly ofc.
I nap
i just try and enjoy exams
Sometimes I cry, and then I remember what my lovely English teacher, told me " it doesn't matter on your grade, as long as you stay a good person, you will of made me proud" what she means by "good" is kind and caring
Original post by ReadySalted28
I pray before the exam begins.. Discreetly ofc.

yh discreet is good. one time a girl heard me praying in arabic before an exam started and reported me to the invigilator as a "suspicious terrorist", they took me out of the exam and asked me questions and i told them that my mum tells me to pray before every exam for good luck and i am a muslim. Long story short i ended up with an A* and the girl got a C. :biggrin:
I try to keep my breathing under control, and try to have some confidence in my abilities - if you feel like you're going to fail, that attitude will probably hinder your thought process. In fairness though, it probably helps if you consistently work and prepare yourself beforehand, since that will help a lot with having more confidence!
Original post by shamedan21
yh discreet is good. one time a girl heard me praying in arabic before an exam started and reported me to the invigilator as a "suspicious terrorist", they took me out of the exam and asked me questions and i told them that my mum tells me to pray before every exam for good luck and i am a muslim. Long story short i ended up with an A* and the girl got a C. :biggrin:

lol. You should've went to her and be like "a C?" Astagfurillah, astagfurillah, astagfurillah lol.
Original post by ReadySalted28
lol. You should've went to her and be like "a C?" Astagfurillah, astagfurillah, astagfurillah lol.

hahaha my g
Original post by Lemur14

This thread was a very good idea!, I have a few suggestions and my best tips for coping with exam stress.

Exams are pretty daunting and they can be a very bad time for most people, but if you have strategies for coping you'll be more than prepared for them. Breathing deep breaths slowly is always good. In psychology, we practice a technique to remain calm. I believe it is called the square technique, You simply follow each line of the square. Begin with the first line --> Breathe normally visualising the line once you reach the other corner, next is to breathe deeply inhaling, use your eyes and move along the line top to bottom, then hold your breath from the Right to left line and then exhale slowly again following from the bottom to the top of the line. Repeat 4x at least.
(i'm not sure if that made sense, but just imagine a square, or look for one around you)

Drinking slow sips of water is always great, I feel it often helps for me to just stay calm and it also hydrates me.

Never be afraid to talk about your stress levels, remember there are people in the same boat as you, they can offer their own advice and do their best to help you. Also, never be afraid to ask for help from your teachers, they have been through what you are going through. Some of them are examiners too - they will understand.

Exercise is important to do also - a good run, walk etc. You can aim to do this everyday or every other day. It releases good chemicals to help you remain relaxed.

You are brilliant! - acknowledge that. Realise your own true potential and keep pushing.

Goodluck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest