The Student Room Group

Can I receive a maintenance loan for September 2018-19 as a child of a EEA migrant?

Hi Student finance,

My name is Rebecca Elineth and I moved to the UK nearly 3 years ago from Spain. I am starting my university course in 2018-19 and have begun my application for Student finance. My father is employed in the UK and we're Spanish citizens. What I would like to know is if I apply as the child of a EEA migrant worker will I be eligible for a maintenance loan because I am also counted as a EU national but my father also works here in the UK. What would you advise I do because my father does a low qualified job and if I do not receive the maintenance loan I will not be able to attend university.

Thank you.
Original post by Becca070600
Hi Student finance,

My name is Rebecca Elineth and I moved to the UK nearly 3 years ago from Spain. I am starting my university course in 2018-19 and have begun my application for Student finance. My father is employed in the UK and we're Spanish citizens. What I would like to know is if I apply as the child of a EEA migrant worker will I be eligible for a maintenance loan because I am also counted as a EU national but my father also works here in the UK. What would you advise I do because my father does a low qualified job and if I do not receive the maintenance loan I will not be able to attend university.

Thank you.

Hi Rebecca,

If you are and EU national and your Father is also a EU national working in the UK, you may be eligible to apply as the Child of an EU Migrant Worker(COMW).
In order to apply as a Migrant worker student we would require you to meet the following eligibility.

EU/EEA or Swiss National (or family member of)

Lawfully resident in the EU/EEA for at least 3 years prior to the start of their course

Ordinary resident in England or Wales on the first day of the first academic year of their course

They/their spouse/civil partner/their parent/step parent/grandparent/Child or grandchild must be working throughout the students studies

They/their spouse/civil partner/their parent/step parent/grandparent/grandchild must receive wages for this work but can also have ‘pocket money’ for voluntary work i.e. Au Pair

This work must be effective, genuine and not of a scale which would be considered marginal or ancillary

We would also require the below evidence of employment depending on your Father's employment status.

Employed

The students original Passport or National ID Card

The parent or step parents original Passport or National ID Card

A photocopy of the students birth certificate naming the parent

If the family member is a step parent, we will need to see the original marriage certificate and the biological parents original Passport or National ID Card

If the student is not an EU/EEA National we will need to see Home Office Visas to cover the entire UK residency period

A copy of the parent or step parents contract of employment that accurately represents their contracted hours and pay. We will also need a letter from the employer confirming the contract accurately represents the hours and terms of which they work if this is not confirmed on their contract of employment or if they are on a zero hour contract. This letter needs to be signed by a member of the Human Resources Department or their Manager (we may verify the employment status with their employer)

The parent or step parents last 3 months payslips (if available)

The parent or step parents most recent P60 (if available)

Termly evidence

Self Employed

The students original Passport or National ID Card

The parent or step parents original Passport or National ID Card

A photocopy of the students birth certificate naming the parent

If the family member is a step parent, we will need to see the original marriage certificate and the biological parents original Passport or National ID Card

If the student is not an EU/EEA National we will need to see Home Office Visas to cover the entire UK residency period

Evidence that the parent or step parent is registered self employed with HMRC (can accept UTR letter)

The parent or step parents last 3 months invoices and corresponding bank statements (if available)

The parent or step parents last 3 months business expenditure (if available)

The parent or step parents most recent tax return (if available)

Termly evidence

We will also require you to complete a PN1 application form you can locate the paper application from the below link.

https://bit.ly/2H8DT5g

Thanks

Louise

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending