The Student Room Group

A-level Physics GUNPOWDER energy mechanics question help !!!!

Hey I've been stuck with this question about energy from the January 2018 edexcel unit 1, and I'd be REALLY grateful if someone could help solve this question ASAP :

"It can be assumed that only 50% of the energy supplied by the gunpowder in the cannon would have been transferred to the capsule.

Determine the mass of gunpowder that would have been required to obtain a maximum speed of 11km/s.

mass of capsule = 1500 kg
energy released from gunpowder = 3 MJ / kg"

THANK YOU SO MUCH
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Original post by bobjard
Hey I've been stuck with this question about energy from the January 2018 edexcel unit 1, and I'd be REALLY grateful if someone could help solve this question ASAP :

"It can be assumed that only 50% of the energy supplied by the gunpowder in the cannon would have been transferred to the capsule.

Determine the mass of gunpowder that would have been required to obtain a maximum speed of 11km/s.

mass of capsule = 1500 kg
energy released from gunpowder = 3 MJ / kg"

THANK YOU SO MUCH

What is the kinetic energy required? What mass of gunpowder is required to give twice that?
(1/2)energy =(1/2) mv^2 then rearrange for m and minus mass of capsule
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest