cswatson
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm a 35 year old, disabled (claiming PIP), single parent, starting a part time course with the OU in September. I've studied at uni before, but didn't complete the course and the OU is accepting a tiny number of my credits, so I don't know if this classes as a new course or not. Myself and my children also live in the same property as my parents, because I need assistance with the children and maintaining a house because of my disability, but financially, I am NOT their dependent.

I'm so confused about what I'm entitled to claim... Can you please help me? I won't physically be able to work to support myself on top of the required hours of study. I am worrying so much about this, but obviously can't actually apply yet as the part time funding isn't open for applications yet, but if you could help me understand my entitlement, it will make a huge difference to my anxiety levels. Thank you so much for your time.
Louise E SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by cswatson)
I'm a 35 year old, disabled (claiming PIP), single parent, starting a part time course with the OU in September. I've studied at uni before, but didn't complete the course and the OU is accepting a tiny number of my credits, so I don't know if this classes as a new course or not. Myself and my children also live in the same property as my parents, because I need assistance with the children and maintaining a house because of my disability, but financially, I am NOT their dependent.

I'm so confused about what I'm entitled to claim... Can you please help me? I won't physically be able to work to support myself on top of the required hours of study. I am worrying so much about this, but obviously can't actually apply yet as the part time funding isn't open for applications yet, but if you could help me understand my entitlement, it will make a huge difference to my anxiety levels. Thank you so much for your time.
Hi cwatson,

Can you confirm some information in order for me to help you.

Will you be applying for a new Part time course with the Open University and what course will you be studying and what intensity of study ?

Thanks

Louise
cswatson
Rep:
?
Hi

As I said, they've transferred some credits from my previous course (only 60) so I'm not sure if it qualifies as new or not, that's one of the things I need clarification on- but it's a completely different course. I will be studying 60 credits a year which equates to 50% doesn't it, and the course is BsC Psychology with Counselling. I know that's on the list of courses for which funding for a second degree is available if it classes as a second degree. I studied for two years between 2001-3 and we believe I only had student loan for one of those two years.
Louise E SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by cswatson)
Hi

As I said, they've transferred some credits from my previous course (only 60) so I'm not sure if it qualifies as new or not, that's one of the things I need clarification on- but it's a completely different course. I will be studying 60 credits a year which equates to 50% doesn't it, and the course is BsC Psychology with Counselling. I know that's on the list of courses for which funding for a second degree is available if it classes as a second degree. I studied for two years between 2001-3 and we believe I only had student loan for one of those two years.
Hi cswatson,

We would not take your 3 years of previous study on a part time course into consideration when assessing your entitlement to funding unless you gained a qualification. I would expect that the course would be classed as a new course if it is a different subject.
The Department for Education (DfE) are introducing a part time maintenance loan (PTML) for eligible part time undergraduate students who are commencing a new part time course from academic year 2018/19. This loan will be available in addition to the existing tuition fee loan and disabled students allowance.

There is certain eligibility criteria the student must meet in order to be accepted for a PTML.
To be eligible students must be commencing a new part time course* that begins on or after 1 August 2018.

Distance Learning - Will only be available to students undertaking a distance learning course due to a disability (including Distance Learning at the Open University).

Students must be studying one of the following part time courses in order to be eligible to apply for a PTML:
  • Bachelor Degree (with or without Honours)
  • Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
  • Integrated Masters Degree
  • Graduate Diploma
  • Graduate Certificate
  • Professional Graduate Certificate in Education
  • Foundation Degree in Dental Health/Dental Therapy
  • Diploma of Higher Education in Dental Health/Dental Therapy or Operating Department Practice

Students entitlement will be determined by 3 things:
  • Where they are living/studying
  • Household income
  • Intensity of study

Students wishing to apply for a PTML will need to complete a part time application form.

They will be able to do this either online or by paper when the applications become available around June.

Thanks

Louise
cswatson
Rep:
?
Thanks for replying but it doesn't really tell me if be eligible or not. Does claiming PIP mean I'm eligible under disability and if not, how is it assessed? I have no income of my own except PIP, it's not reasonable to expect my parents to still be financially responsible for me like when I was 18, but will us choosing to house share mean that they're addressed?
cswatson
Rep:
?
Any suggestions?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.15%
They might tell the bully (18)
10.06%
I don't think they'd understand (30)
16.76%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
38.55%
There's nothing they could do (51)
28.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise