Clinical Neuroscience MSc (6)
54.55%
dsc.chn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi everyone!

I'm an international student currently applying for 2018 entry into neuroscience masters programmes.

I currently hold offers from King's College London for a place in two of their courses:-
1. Neuroscience MSc
2. Clinical Neuroscience MSc

I have obviously been through the course content and constituent modules for both programmes and found them to be quite different. I want a course that deals with neuroscience in much greater depth than than just basic neuroanatomy and molecular mechanisms of signal transduction (which I've already studied as part of my undergraduate curriculum). For someone like me who wants an in-depth study of this area of science, not compromising on the relevance of the course in the current scheme of things, which course would you suggest? I would be grateful if an alumnus of one of these courses could provide some insight.

P.S.: The Neuroscience MSc sounds like it deals with a bit of everything while the Clinical Neuroscience MSc deals with translational neuroanatomy/neurophysiology. This is the general impression that I got from the course/module descriptions. Please correct me if this is not true.

P.P.S.: I'm planning on going for a research degree after my masters if that's any help. My area of interest is functional neural circuitry of memory and cognition and implications of its disruption on neurological disorders.
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by dsc.chn)
Hi everyone!

I'm an international student currently applying for 2018 entry into neuroscience masters programmes.

I currently hold offers from King's College London for a place in two of their courses:-
1. Neuroscience MSc
2. Clinical Neuroscience MSc

I have obviously been through the course content and constituent modules for both programmes and found them to be quite different. I want a course that deals with neuroscience in much greater depth than than just basic neuroanatomy and molecular mechanisms of signal transduction (which I've already studied as part of my undergraduate curriculum). For someone like me who wants an in-depth study of this area of science, not compromising on the relevance of the course in the current scheme of things, which course would you suggest? I would be grateful if an alumnus of one of these courses could provide some insight.

P.S.: The Neuroscience MSc sounds like it deals with a bit of everything while the Clinical Neuroscience MSc deals with translational neuroanatomy/neurophysiology. This is the general impression that I got from the course/module descriptions. Please correct me if this is not true.

P.P.S.: I'm planning on going for a research degree after my masters if that's any help. My area of interest is functional neural circuitry of memory and cognition and implications of its disruption on neurological disorders.
Postgrads don't tend to stick around. Since you have worked out what you want from a degree and what the degrees cover which one is more suited to your interests?
dsc.chn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by alleycat393)
Postgrads don't tend to stick around. Since you have worked out what you want from a degree and what the degrees cover which one is more suited to your interests?
That's the conundrum haha. I'm leaning towards the 'Clinical Neuroscience' course but I wanted to know if I'll be missing out on cool new stuff like neural plasticity (which is part of 'Neuroscience' but isn't explicitly mentioned in the short module description of the other one). It might well be part of both courses but the vagueness with which the modules have been described on their website is making things difficult. Even the introductory video to the Clinical Neuroscience MSc has been removed *sigh*
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by dsc.chn)
That's the conundrum haha. I'm leaning towards the 'Clinical Neuroscience' course but I wanted to know if I'll be missing out on cool new stuff like neural plasticity (which is part of 'Neuroscience' but isn't explicitly mentioned in the short module description of the other one). It might well be part of both courses but the vagueness with which the modules have been described on their website is making things difficult. Even the introductory video to the Clinical Neuroscience MSc has been removed *sigh*
Maybe email and ask in that case. The course director should be able to answer that question.
Michael Spantios
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Go for Neuroscience. Much more in depth than clinical neuroscience and since you are interested in memory and its place in neurological disorders you will have a much better framework after having completed this masters. Furthermore, this is a research degree as the optional module requires in depth research and the research dissertation will have you working in the lab for an extended period of time. I have also been accepted to the masters programme so maybe we will meet, if not good luck with all your future endeavours.
Leah2706
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I know this post is pretty old but hopefully someone sees this as I can't find any other threads! I was wondering what the MSc Neuroscience application process and/or interview is like?Most unis provide info on these but I can't find anything for Kings. Seems pretty odd to me as the course intake seems to be huge in comparison to other MSc Neuroscience courses!
Ym2020a
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hopefully, you got the information you needed. There is information on their website and their application advisors’ are brilliant. Hope you got a place for this year; application intake for 2020 closed yesterday. If you are a student, then l guess l’ll bump into you in one of the classes. Best of luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (55)
22.73%
Excited but a bit nervous (110)
45.45%
Not bothered either way (32)
13.22%
I'm really nervous (45)
18.6%

Watched Threads