The Student Room Group

MSc Finance UCL vs MSc Investment & Wealth Management Imperial

Hi all,

I hold offers for both msc finance at ucl and the msc IWM at imperial. Since I have never studied in the UK, which program would any of you choose?
Which has the better reputation and so on?

Thanks!
Original post by ppl2
Hi all,

I hold offers for both msc finance at ucl and the msc IWM at imperial. Since I have never studied in the UK, which program would any of you choose?
Which has the better reputation and so on?

Thanks!

Reputation means little. How do the courses compare?
Reply 2
Personally, I feel that the courses are pretty much the same. I like both courses, and that is why I am not sure what to choose.
I've heard that Imperial ranks better in terms of the business schools as the UCL School of Management is quite new... Imperial has more electives though and seems to have a better program; which is why I am leanings towards imperial, just wanted a few comments from people that know more of graduate studies in the UK.
What would you do?

Original post by alleycat393
Reputation means little. How do the courses compare?
I mean what exactly do you want to do afterwards?

As far as I'm aware, UCL's Finance courses are definitely one of the few weak courses they have (relative to everything else), whilst Imperial isn't exactly a stronghold for the field but is more 'recognized'. If you're looking at specific quant roles and IB etc. then they're both viewed upon similarly.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Thanks,
I'd like to move into asset management as an analyst to begin with, so you're saying they are looked upon equally in that sector?
Which other schools would you recommend in the UK for moving into asset mgmt? I also hold an offer for warwick msc finance.. However I don't really like the courses they are offering compared to that of imperial and ucl.
Original post by The Assassin
I mean what exactly do you want to do afterwards?

As far as I'm aware, UCL's Finance courses are definitely one of the few weak courses they have (relative to everything else), whilst Imperial isn't exactly a stronghold for the field but is more 'recognized'. If you're looking at specific quant roles and IB etc. then they're both viewed upon similarly.
Original post by ppl2
Thanks,
I'd like to move into asset management as an analyst to begin with, so you're saying they are looked upon equally in that sector?
Which other schools would you recommend in the UK for moving into asset mgmt? I also hold an offer for warwick msc finance.. However I don't really like the courses they are offering compared to that of imperial and ucl.

Anything specific departments? (e.g. compliance, trade)

Bare in mind that the standard of a course doesn't always correlate to reputation by firms. Cass Business School is probably stronger than the rest (LSE aside, possibly) but definitely isn't viewed to the same regard, so ultimately I wouldn't really recommend going for any other options that you've chosen.

Warwick is viewed to the same standard as UCL / Imperial. From what I've personally seen, there are more people from Warwick represented in smaller AM firms than the latter two but this is for the entirety of the firm itself and no specific sector. However, there's no real reason to not select the others if you prefer their courses -- it depends what specialties they give you and what you enjoy the most

As a general I'd probably choose Imperial over Warwick over UCL
Reply 6

Bare in mind that the standard of a course doesn't always correlate to reputation by firms. Cass Business School is probably stronger than the rest (LSE aside, possibly) but definitely isn't viewed to the same regard, so ultimately I wouldn't really recommend going for any other options that you've chosen.

Warwick is viewed to the same standard as UCL / Imperial. From what I've personally seen, there are more people from Warwick represented in smaller AM firms than the latter two but this is for the entirety of the firm itself and no specific sector. However, there's no real reason to not select the others if you prefer their courses -- it depends what specialties they give you and what you enjoy the most

ok, thanks a lot!
Original post by ppl2
Personally, I feel that the courses are pretty much the same. I like both courses, and that is why I am not sure what to choose.
I've heard that Imperial ranks better in terms of the business schools as the UCL School of Management is quite new... Imperial has more electives though and seems to have a better program; which is why I am leanings towards imperial, just wanted a few comments from people that know more of graduate studies in the UK.
What would you do?

Again rankings don’t mean much so I would ignore them really. If you prefer imperial and it satisfies your academic needs in terms of electives and program that’s the one to go for.
Reply 8

Thanks for the info.
what would you choose between ucl-computational finance and imperial-risk management&financial engineering? how's the career potential of the two programs in securing a quant/valuation role in London?
Reply 9
Hi ppl2

Which course did you finally select?

I applied for the Msc in Finance at UCL early in March (late February) and by the 3rd of April I have completed all the later stages required ( Math test and interview). I am waiting for a response and started feeling a bit nervous (9 weeks have passed since my application was completed and 5 since my interview).

I was relaxed at first because i feel that both the math test an the interview went brilliant but the waiting started getting me crazy.

How long did it take to get back to you and give you an official answer, do you also mind sharing your profile?

Best of luck and congratulations on your offers!
Reply 10
Original post by plg.p
Hi ppl2

Which course did you finally select?

I applied for the Msc in Finance at UCL early in March (late February) and by the 3rd of April I have completed all the later stages required ( Math test and interview). I am waiting for a response and started feeling a bit nervous (9 weeks have passed since my application was completed and 5 since my interview).

I was relaxed at first because i feel that both the math test an the interview went brilliant but the waiting started getting me crazy.

How long did it take to get back to you and give you an official answer, do you also mind sharing your profile?

Best of luck and congratulations on your offers!

Hi plg.p
I went with Imperial:smile:
I am a finance and maths undergrad from the US, graduated with a high GPA. I heard back in the beginning of January from UCL (got my offer then) and completed the maths test and interview at the end of November I beleive. It probably takes longer time now, as I was quite early and more people are applying now...
Reply 11
does imperial investment and wealth management require a math test?Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending