Triple vs Trilogy Watch

FreeBird01
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I used to do Triple science but my entire class was given the choice of whether they want to to do Triple or Trilogy for the actual GCSE. I am not sure what I should pick, my Physics and Biology is fine and I feel confident in doing the Triple paper for these subjects but I am feeling worried about doing the Chemistry Trilogy paper. For now I am thinking of doing English Literature, History and Physcology for A-Levels so if I do pick Trilogy will it affect my A-level options? Also if I do pick Trilogy science and only get 2 GCSE grades then would this have a negative impact when it comes to university applications or further life applications?
Thank you to all those who are going to help me.
Glaz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by FreeBird01)
I used to do Triple science but my entire class was given the choice of whether they want to to do Triple or Trilogy for the actual GCSE. I am not sure what I should pick, my Physics and Biology is fine and I feel confident in doing the Triple paper for these subjects but I am feeling worried about doing the Chemistry Trilogy paper. For now I am thinking of doing English Literature, History and Physcology for A-Levels so if I do pick Trilogy will it affect my A-level options? Also if I do pick Trilogy science and only get 2 GCSE grades then would this have a negative impact when it comes to university applications or further life applications?
I don't know about actual exams, but in the end of chapter tests in our book, the combined (trilogy/double) questions are exactly the same as the triple (separate) questions. The only difference is the grade boundaries, which are lower for combined. For example, my friend got a 5 in the end of chapter test in biology (she's thinking about whether to do triple or combined) and if it was marked with double boundaries, she would have got a 7.
You're not doing any science related subjects for A-Level, so it shouldn't make a difference. It shouldn't either way. For example, my brother did combined when he did his GCSEs and he's a doctor. It doesn't matter. I want to do biology and maybe chemistry for A-Level but as long as I get the required grades, I should be fine. Check your Sixth Form's requirements though. They will be different for combined and triple.
It shouldn't have a negative impact. Put it this way, this is what my teacher told me - if you get a 5 in triple, unis will say that that's alright. But if you get an 8 in combined, they will say that that's amazing, Even though you got a 6 in 3 GCSEs it's still not as good as 8 in 2.

Hope I've helped
Bill Nye
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by HowToBeABlobfish)
I don't know about actual exams, but in the end of chapter tests in our book, the combined (trilogy/double) questions are exactly the same as the triple (separate) questions. The only difference is the grade boundaries, which are lower for combined. For example, my friend got a 5 in the end of chapter test in biology (she's thinking about whether to do triple or combined) and if it was marked with double boundaries, she would have got a 7.
You're not doing any science related subjects for A-Level, so it shouldn't make a difference. It shouldn't either way. For example, my brother did combined when he did his GCSEs and he's a doctor. It doesn't matter. I want to do biology and maybe chemistry for A-Level but as long as I get the required grades, I should be fine. Check your Sixth Form's requirements though. They will be different for combined and triple.
It shouldn't have a negative impact. Put it this way, this is what my teacher told me - if you get a 5 in triple, unis will say that that's alright. But if you get an 8 in combined, they will say that that's amazing, Even though you got a 6 in 3 GCSEs it's still not as good as 8 in 2.

Hope I've helped
Yes, however being weaker at one can bring your overall grade down in double.
lydiarutharnold
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
just do trilogy, it’s easy
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Readywhenuare7
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
People who are uneducated unfortunately do very stupid stuff. I wouldn’t believe anything I was told if I were you. I’m learning that often people who don’t understand something stay out of the loop as far as credible info. Now that I’m striving for higher learning I’m able to research credible info and learn the truth about things from research and studies. Some people are just more hurtful then helpful regardless of who they are?😳

Readywhenuare7
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I would like to def try tripple science. I have so much energy now that I’m single I need ways to connect with others who are on a positive pathway.
(Original post by Readywhenuare7)
People who are uneducated unfortunately do very stupid stuff. I wouldn’t believe anything I was told if I were you. I’m learning that often people who don’t understand something stay out of the loop as far as credible info. Now that I’m striving for higher learning I’m able to research credible info and learn the truth about things from research and studies. Some people are just more hurtful then helpful regardless of who they are?😳
iBearHQ
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
If you want to do triple, do triple!

I disagree with the comment about questions being the exact same, there are certain topics where triple learn it in much more depth e.g. organic chemistry and space physics.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (407)
18.64%
The paper was reasonable (1038)
47.55%
Not feeling great about that exam... (485)
22.22%
It was TERRIBLE (253)
11.59%

Watched Threads