Turn on thread page Beta

Need biology help? Ask me. I study Biology at the University of Bristol watch

ReputationRep:
    If you need any help with any concepts or anything to do with a level or GCSE biology. I might be able to help.

Ask away, I'll try to answer as many as I can.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smartguy32)
    If you need any help with any concepts or anything to do with a level or GCSE biology. I might be able to help.

Ask away, I'll try to answer as many as I can.
    Hi. I’m starting biology this year at Sheffield what year are you? Any tips? I don’t no about uni scoring and how to get good grades , apart from the fact I’ll be trying my bloody hardest! I’m 28 so I don’t do the drinking every night and I’ve been around a bit so I know how to crack on and learn but any advice is appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ridinghigh95)
    Hi. I’m starting biology this year at Sheffield what year are you? Any tips? I don’t no about uni scoring and how to get good grades , apart from the fact I’ll be trying my bloody hardest! I’m 28 so I don’t do the drinking every night and I’ve been around a bit so I know how to crack on and learn but any advice is appreciated
    Hey! that's good to hear, i'm sure you'll love it!
    I'm going into second year in September and the one mistake i made was not having an organised note taking system and relying too much on text books. The exams i sat were based almost entirely on lectures, so if i had better notes to revise from it would have been easier.

it might be worth having digital notes and hand written notes, which is what i'm going to try this year but it may end up being too time consuming.

So i checked on the Sheffield website and the way your course is marked is:

AssessmentExams/tests63%Coursework32%Practical5%

The usual pass mark for Universities is 40% which would be a third, a 2:2 would be 50-59%, 2:1 would be 60-69% and a 1st would be 70 and above which is the best grade you can get. So essentially if you work hard on your course work, first year should be easy to get through without stressing too much about the course content.

Biology is also just a memory game still, so flash cards and mind maps are my preferred way to learn!

And from my experience biology students they do like there drink but it's still going to be worth checking out some other societies and getting involved!

hope i didn't write too much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smartguy32)
    Hey! that's good to hear, i'm sure you'll love it!
    I'm going into second year in September and the one mistake i made was not having an organised note taking system and relying too much on text books. The exams i sat were based almost entirely on lectures, so if i had better notes to revise from it would have been easier.

it might be worth having digital notes and hand written notes, which is what i'm going to try this year but it may end up being too time consuming.

So i checked on the Sheffield website and the way your course is marked is:

AssessmentExams/tests63%Coursework32%Practical5%

The usual pass mark for Universities is 40% which would be a third, a 2:2 would be 50-59%, 2:1 would be 60-69% and a 1st would be 70 and above which is the best grade you can get. So essentially if you work hard on your course work, first year should be easy to get through without stressing too much about the course content.

Biology is also just a memory game still, so flash cards and mind maps are my preferred way to learn!

And from my experience biology students they do like there drink but it's still going to be worth checking out some other societies and getting involved!

hope i didn't write too much!
    No you didn’t that’s the best advice ever!! 😃 I am very much the same as in note taking. I either don’t write it down properly an don’t understand what I’ve written then end up lookin at books so that’s really good advice. By digital do you mean just take your laptop in and type it up?

It’s a scary thought as I feel I know nothing ( because I do know nothing!!) but I’m sure if I revise and what not I’ll be okay!!! I’m not into drinking anymore , only a few but I will see if there’s other things I can get involved in!!

Thanks so much really appreciate you taking your time to look into my course etc for me and helping me !

ReputationRep:
    Hey is biology at uni like going to the zoo everyday and looking at plants and stuff ?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.