The Student Room Group

Honestly tell me if I'm screwed

Have 27 days until my first exam. Maths is the only one I'm not panicked about. However, chemistry I find difficult. Biology there is a lot of content and we still have a whole topic to go, it being the hardest too. Physics, I'm awful at and scraping a pass- is it too late to do all the old spec past papers whilst trying to precisely memorise the new spec?!? And, English. Haven't done anything for language and I'm not good at it either. English literature, I have only revised Macbeth, and have jekyll n hyde, AIC, poetry and unseen poetry left-- as well as making at least 8 essay plans for each text! I'm desperate for some advice as i think I'm heading towards total failure!
Hi,
So I did my GCSE’s last year and I was the saw as you. Maths I love so I didn’t worry about. But chem was soooo hard. And the other sciences were really long. And English lit I hadn’t even read one of the books. So I tried to cramp and to be honest, I barely did any revision, but I still tried my best and good pretty good grades. As long as you try your best, you should be happy for your grades.
Original post by person123abc
Have 27 days until my first exam. Maths is the only one I'm not panicked about. However, chemistry I find difficult. Biology there is a lot of content and we still have a whole topic to go, it being the hardest too. Physics, I'm awful at and scraping a pass- is it too late to do all the old spec past papers whilst trying to precisely memorise the new spec?!? And, English. Haven't done anything for language and I'm not good at it either. English literature, I have only revised Macbeth, and have jekyll n hyde, AIC, poetry and unseen poetry left-- as well as making at least 8 essay plans for each text! I'm desperate for some advice as i think I'm heading towards total failure!

As long as you pass your GCSE’s no one really cares what grades you get, you just need to pass to get on to the next stage whether that be A levels, BTEC etc. Don’t stress
Original post by FatimaBouraoui
Hi,
So I did my GCSE’s last year and I was the saw as you. Maths I love so I didn’t worry about. But chem was soooo hard. And the other sciences were really long. And English lit I hadn’t even read one of the books. So I tried to cramp and to be honest, I barely did any revision, but I still tried my best and good pretty good grades. As long as you try your best, you should be happy for your grades.

Thank you!
Original post by amberlouu
As long as you pass your GCSE’s no one really cares what grades you get, you just need to pass to get on to the next stage whether that be A levels, BTEC etc. Don’t stress

But I care. I want to prove it to myself as well as others. Are 7s/8s too far a reach?
But I care. I want to prove it to myself as well as others. Are 7s/8s too far a reach?

Nooo aim for as high as you can. As I said, I didn’t read one of the English lit books (lord of the flies) and my teacher predicted me a 3. I got 7. So I proved her wrong.
you'll do perfectly fine!! Come one!!! First off... Get off Tsr and do these...
(Not all in on day but like i 4 days these shuld be done!!!!)
- Make summaries and understand the new Biology topic so in class you dont panic = summaries on Mindmaps or Notes
-Study FIVE topics you dont get in Chemistry and dig Deep into them = make minmaps and notes
-Now go onto 5 other topics of Chem as well.
-Go over all the old biology topics and revise them = past papers and notes / flashcards
-Physics do 6 topics you hate first and make mindads and notes and make it as short but importatn as possible!!
-Go back over all your science and mindmaps and notes and flashcards and everything sciency
-Write all the topics you hated and then blurt information and see how much you have to still learn. BLURTING = New Revision Technique that ACTUALLY works: "Blurting" - YouTube
-Revise Unseen poetry for eng
-Make notes and one essay plan as well to help.
-Revise 7 topics or skills n English Lang and make Notes and flashcards
- Do some AIC and Jekyll and Hyde revision and make summary nots on what they are
-Revise some other apect of English that you are not good at
Read over your notes for Macbeth and pretend your teaching a class about what the themes and character and blah blah blah is...
-Revise some Maths and do past papers
-Revise over Chem again and 'teach a class thoroughyl'
-Revise English Language againa nd read over notes and English Lit
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just made you a study plan to success mate all going to be done in 4 days before mdnight!!COME ONE u got this and get going rt now coz first you have some summaries for the new topic to make. Make sure you research it!!
Good luck mate and wish me luck as well!!! xx
All I can say isn’t the more work you put in, the more you get out. I took my GCSE’s a few years ago and got 7 A’s 3 B’s and 1 C and that includes the sciences which I struggled in. I revised hard but then again could’ve done a lot more, and yet I came out with good results. Nothing is too hard to get grade wise, if you tell yourself you can do it then you can! Good luck

Mate, you got time. I believe you aren't moving house or have any baby siblings that'll mess up your revision? I did and i still got decent grades.

What you need to do is look through the Specification for English Literature and Language to understand what you need to do to get high grades - if i had more time (i started revision 2 weeks before my first exam) then i'd have a solid 7 since i'd know what to do properly, without having to rush. English Literature is basically irrelevant if you don't want to be a lawyer or writer - just aim for Grade 6 (that's a B).

Biology and Chemistry require that you rinse through the revision guide then molest the past papers repeatedly - some questions from the previous paper's year will pop up again. If you do that and get A* each time, then you should be good.
Reply 9

Start revising now. It's not too late to get grades.
Original post by SannHash
you'll do perfectly fine!! Come one!!! First off... Get off Tsr and do these...
(Not all in on day but like i 4 days these shuld be done!!!!)
- Make summaries and understand the new Biology topic so in class you dont panic = summaries on Mindmaps or Notes
-Study FIVE topics you dont get in Chemistry and dig Deep into them = make minmaps and notes
-Now go onto 5 other topics of Chem as well.
-Go over all the old biology topics and revise them = past papers and notes / flashcards
-Physics do 6 topics you hate first and make mindads and notes and make it as short but importatn as possible!!
-Go back over all your science and mindmaps and notes and flashcards and everything sciency
-Write all the topics you hated and then blurt information and see how much you have to still learn. BLURTING = New Revision Technique that ACTUALLY works: "Blurting" - YouTube
-Revise Unseen poetry for eng
-Make notes and one essay plan as well to help.
-Revise 7 topics or skills n English Lang and make Notes and flashcards
- Do some AIC and Jekyll and Hyde revision and make summary nots on what they are
-Revise some other apect of English that you are not good at
Read over your notes for Macbeth and pretend your teaching a class about what the themes and character and blah blah blah is...
-Revise some Maths and do past papers
-Revise over Chem again and 'teach a class thoroughyl'
-Revise English Language againa nd read over notes and English Lit
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just made you a study plan to success mate all going to be done in 4 days before mdnight!!COME ONE u got this and get going rt now coz first you have some summaries for the new topic to make. Make sure you research it!!
Good luck mate and wish me luck as well!!! xx

Wow, this is great! Thank you for taking the time to write this, although this is a tad much for 4 days! And, of course, I wish you nothing but the best ! :smile:
Original post by amberlouu
All I can say isn’t the more work you put in, the more you get out. I took my GCSE’s a few years ago and got 7 A’s 3 B’s and 1 C and that includes the sciences which I struggled in. I revised hard but then again could’ve done a lot more, and yet I came out with good results. Nothing is too hard to get grade wise, if you tell yourself you can do it then you can! Good luck

Thank you very much ! :smile:
Reply 12
not as much as these guys in my signature.
Original post by Jang Gwangnam
Mate, you got time. I believe you aren't moving house or have any baby siblings that'll mess up your revision? I did and i still got decent grades.

What you need to do is look through the Specification for English Literature and Language to understand what you need to do to get high grades - if i had more time (i started revision 2 weeks before my first exam) then i'd have a solid 7 since i'd know what to do properly, without having to rush. English Literature is basically irrelevant if you don't want to be a lawyer or writer - just aim for Grade 6 (that's a B).

Biology and Chemistry require that you rinse through the revision guide then molest the past papers repeatedly - some questions from the previous paper's year will pop up again. If you do that and get A* each time, then you should be good.

No I don't have baby siblings/moving house, however, i have to kinda cater for myself since my parents have gone for two months, coming back in may. but cheers, this is great
(edited 6 years ago)
No I don't have baby siblings/moving house, however, i have to kinda cater for myself since my parents have gone for two months, coming back in may. but cheers, this is great

I'm gona assume they left you with a mass of funds. You can cater for your meals by buying ready made salads with meat - you can get them for like 2 for £3 in ASDA ( i dunno about TESCO though). Get fruit juices and green juice (might be bitter but it has it's benefits). Eat oatmeal for breakfast.
Basically be healthy as possible, since a good stomach = a happy mind - and you need a good mindset to do proper revision.

Make sure when you revise, you do it in 30-45min intervals, with 5-10 minute breaks in between. This method has been scientifically shown to help you cram more.

Now make sure to exercise and relax, this'll help maintain your positive mindset and feel ready.

Last, but not least; PRAY, whether you believe in God or not, just PRAY - miracles can happen.

Quick Reply

Latest