englitgal123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Without trying to generalise/dismiss, I have heard LOTS of people say that Durham is filled with private school oxbridge rejects. Of course I know that this cannot be true all throughout the university, though I would like to know if anyone is at Durham either as an ex-private or ex-state school student, how they find the ratio:
Are there certain colleges/subjects that are more 'posh' than others?
Zakky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
https://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/ug.a...ndependent.pdf

https://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/stud...ool/171-11.pdf
The Antagonist
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes it is, but once everyone settles after their second term they're all just normal students. Awfull repetitive fashion sense asides
username738914
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by The Antagonist)
Yes it is, but once everyone settles after their second term they're all just normal students. Awfull repetitive fashion sense asides
This^

First term at Exeter was incredibly cliquey amongst the posh kids.. but now no one really cares as much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Edtw
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A lot are Oxbridge rejects, that is true, and there are a fair few posh people. Recent stats about private school education revealed that Hatfield and Castle (my college) have the highest proportion. But as said above, it's not an issue at all (except on Durfess of late!).
thotproduct
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A LOT of Oxbridge rejects from what I'm told. The area and college system is free bait, some colleges are cluster****ed, others aren't so much, but after a few years it'll die down.
Trihawk7
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My friend who used to wear snapbacks now goes to a black tie event twice a week, polo and shooting. So I guess it is.
durhamdunce
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You can be as posh or unposh as you want really. It is entirely possible to not wear a gown, black tie etc during your three years, or to wear them nearly every day.
MongoDB
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Wow, avoid Hatfield if you're thinking of applying. Sounds like Hell, lol.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (657)
33.55%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (831)
42.44%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (381)
19.46%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise