The Student Room Group

How hard is GCSE Maths 9-1?

Question stated in title.

Scroll to see replies

On a scale of 9-1 (where 9 is the hardest and 1 is the easiest), GCSE maths 9-1 is a 1.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by IWantIPods
On a scale of 9-1, GCSE maths 9-1 is a 1.

I meant how hard is the 9-1 GCSE Maths spec?
Not too difficult
Reply 4
Original post by Y11_Maths
Not too difficult

What is the content and exam papers for the 9-1 spec like? I don't really like Maths and upon that a new spec means it's going to be harder so want to know what it is like.
easy
It can vary between exam boards
Content is harder than previous years and some may struggle but the exam papers aren’t too difficult imo
not too difficult. just try practice as many questions as possible, so you can get better at them.
Reply 9
Original post by NotYourAuntCarol
It can vary between exam boards

How much harder is it for Edexcel compared to the old spec?
In my opinion, Edexcel Maths 9 - 1 is quite hard. But that's coming from someone who has dyscalculia...
In my opinion, learning the content is straight-forward however some exam questions may require a level of 'problem-solving' which I'm going to assume a lot of people struggle with.
easy.
Not too difficult, I got a 9 and am now doing A Level maths in about a month, but I can safely say that I prefer A Level maths to GCSE maths. I didn't like how the questions were really dull (to me at least).
Reply 14
edexcel is definitely the hardest gcse maths exam board compared to ocr and aqa
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Victoria5
How much harder is it for Edexcel compared to the old spec?

I’m not exactly sure, but I can say that edexcel is one of the harder exam boards for gcse maths— I’m doing it for my GCSEs and I wish I’d have done AQA as their questions are more straight forward. General struggles with the exam is how to spot the related topics in the question, and figuring out what they are trying to ask you.
Reply 16
Original post by IWantIPods
In my opinion, learning the content is straight-forward however some exam questions may require a level of 'problem-solving' which I'm going to assume a lot of people struggle with.

How can I get a 7,8 or 9 in Maths? I really need either of these three grades in order to get into a specific university for the course I want.
Original post by Victoria5
How can I get a 7,8 or 9 in Maths? I really need either of these three grades in order to get into a specific university for the course I want.

https://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/gcse.html
Original post by Y11_Maths
Content is harder than previous years and some may struggle but the exam papers aren’t too difficult imo

It is definitely WAY HARDER than the previous spec, considering that previously you needed 80% for the old A*, but now you need around 70% for an 8, and 85% for a 9.

Also, I am curious, what %s have you been getting on past papers?
Original post by 12390859081
It is definitely WAY HARDER than the previous spec, considering that previously you needed 80% for the old A*, but now you need around 70% for an 8, and 85% for a 9.

Also, I am curious, what %s have you been getting on past papers?

High 90%s

Quick Reply

Latest