Respiratory system Watch

Adam__nicholson
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
If anyone could point me in the right direction with doing this report i would be very grateful.

Write an account describing and explaining why and how respiratory systems are required in the larger multi-cellular organisms.
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi,

SOME GUIDELINES:

a) Unicellular otganisms and very small multicellular (oligocellular if I may coin a term!) organisms e.g. paramecium or Hydra, have such a large surface area to volume ratio that they can rely on diffusion to suffice for gas exchange. (Diffusion rate is a function of surface area and volume/mass will determine metabolic demands.

b) As organisms become larger (during evolution or phylogenetically) the surface area to volume ratio becomes progressively smaller, and then diffusion is not sufficient to meet the needs of the organism. Therefore, specialized respiratory systems have evolved.

c) Talk about the respiratory systems of sequentially:

Invertebrates
Jellyfish
Annelida (worms)
Insects

Vertebrates
Fish (gills)
Amphibia (moist skin of frogs)
Birds and mammals (lungs)

Explain how each of these systems permits efficient exchange of gases with air and/or water.

M
Adam__nicholson
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by macpatelgh)
Hi,

SOME GUIDELINES:

a) Unicellular otganisms and very small multicellular (oligocellular if I may coin a term!) organisms e.g. paramecium or Hydra, have such a large surface area to volume ratio that they can rely on diffusion to suffice for gas exchange. (Diffusion rate is a function of surface area and volume/mass will determine metabolic demands.

b) As organisms become larger (during evolution or phylogenetically) the surface area to volume ratio becomes progressively smaller, and then diffusion is not sufficient to meet the needs of the organism. Therefore, specialized respiratory systems have evolved.

c) Talk about the respiratory systems of sequentially:

Invertebrates
Jellyfish
Annelida (worms)
Insects

Vertebrates
Fish (gills)
Amphibia (moist skin of frogs)
Birds and mammals (lungs)

Explain how each of these systems permits efficient exchange of gases with air and/or water.

M
Thanks a lot, much appreciated
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Further education
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (61)
8.28%
I used to but I don't now (18)
2.44%
No, but I want to start (276)
37.45%
No, I am unable to (177)
24.02%
No, I chose not to (205)
27.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise