The Student Room Group

how to approach this unhealthy friendship

So, I met this girl online about a year ago. We got talking and I was attracted but she had a boyfriend which I respected. Turned out it was a very long distance relationship and she constantly had issues and from about November we have been calling and texting. I have a close group and a number of mates but she doesn't and actually is hurt by that. The guy turned out to be a cheat and the night they broke up, she rang me and was quite emotional as I consuled her. We talked quite regularly the past few months and I have offered her a lot of support, made her laugh a lot but it's all quite one sided. Whenever I discuss my issues she doesn't really care or offer much input but goes onto her stories. She has an online business which I've asked to be brought onto as Its quite relevant to my course but she always stalls it. Anyways my mental state has dropped the past month and this girl has now been obsessed with calling, texting and saying she misses me.
I get all that as she has admitted shes got less than 5 five people to talk to but I was quite unproductive last term and learnt that I seriously need to step up and take more use of my time. Friendship wise, she doesn't give much positive energy to me, no one I know knows her, lives in a different city. I've forced this as I've always been the nice guy and I don't dislike her but it's just turned quite unhealthy and I've only just realised
Original post by Anonymous
So, I met this girl online about a year ago. We got talking and I was attracted but she had a boyfriend which I respected. Turned out it was a very long distance relationship and she constantly had issues and from about November we have been calling and texting. I have a close group and a number of mates but she doesn't and actually is hurt by that. The guy turned out to be a cheat and the night they broke up, she rang me and was quite emotional as I consuled her. We talked quite regularly the past few months and I have offered her a lot of support, made her laugh a lot but it's all quite one sided. Whenever I discuss my issues she doesn't really care or offer much input but goes onto her stories. She has an online business which I've asked to be brought onto as Its quite relevant to my course but she always stalls it. Anyways my mental state has dropped the past month and this girl has now been obsessed with calling, texting and saying she misses me.
I get all that as she has admitted shes got less than 5 five people to talk to but I was quite unproductive last term and learnt that I seriously need to step up and take more use of my time. Friendship wise, she doesn't give much positive energy to me, no one I know knows her, lives in a different city. I've forced this as I've always been the nice guy and I don't dislike her but it's just turned quite unhealthy and I've only just realised

Either cut back or talk to her and just tell her its not working, then find someone else. Blocking her off from social media is probably going to be best. Make a list of pros and cons to remind yourself the relationship is very one sided. It should be a two way thing. Not sure you should be brought into her business.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous

Talk to this girl and explain how you feel. If she continues to behave poorly. You should probably give her the talk - saying we have to stop being friends... then block her and focus on your education. 😌 Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending