Turn on thread page Beta

Negatives of studying at Oxford or Cambridge? watch

ReputationRep:
    What are the negatives of studying at these institutions?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by goldengradesguy)
    In respect of what?

ReputationRep:
    cannot think of any for Cambridge... not sure about Oxford ? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    The stress, the quantity of work, the traditionalism, the inflexibility of courses, the terminal exams-based mode of assessment, the theory-heavy approach, the lack of diversity... although a number of these are subjective. As with any institution, Oxford and Cambridge both have plenty of good things and plenty of bad things.

ReputationRep:
    yes. the great thing about uni is that you're treated like an adult with independent self-study. However, at Oxbridge you have to do homework (in preparation for tutorials/supervisions) just like in school, which is a minor negative if you don't like being told what to do to study

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    In respect of what?
    Generally

ReputationRep:
    The rigour and stress, you'll probably question your intelligence as well. When you go from the best in your school to average or even below average at Oxbridge.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by CollectiveSoul)
    yes. the great thing about uni is that you're treated like an adult with independent self-study. However, at Oxbridge you have to do homework (in preparation for tutorials/supervisions) just like in school, which is a minor negative if you don't like being told what to do to study
    You have to prepare for tutorials/seminars at other universities too.
    eg. Imperial http://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/impe...tions17-18.pdf
    Bristol: https://www.bris.ac.uk/unit-programm...Code=MATH10006

ReputationRep:
    Terrible nightlife

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anagogic)
    The rigor and stress, you'll probably question your intelligence as well. When you go from the best in your school to average or even below average at Oxbridge.
    it always makes me wonder...
    what would it take for someone to be the top at Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    If you're genuinely in pursuit of world class education and a degree then the negatives will be minimal. The academic rigour and standards of both unis are world class.

If you're not bothered about that, and think any more education is a burden, Oxbridge is likely to become stressful and difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanjith Hegde123)
    it always makes me wonder...
    what would it take for someone to be the top at Cambridge?
    You're asking the wrong person :drool:.

Obviously someone has to be, you'd have to be intelligent but other than that it's like everything else putting the work in and making sure that what you're doing is effective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anagogic)
    The rigour and stress, you'll probably question your intelligence as well. When you go from the best in your school to average or even below average at Oxbridge.
    I guess at Oxbridge you have to present ideas and new ways of solving problems rather than just being like everyone else. To me, it seems as though it's about being as individual as possible and not blending in or taking on other people's ideas over your own. Proving why your ideas would work.

ReputationRep:
    I guess at Oxbridge you have to present ideas and new ways of solving problems rather than just being like everyone else. To me, it seems as though it's about being as individual as possible and not blending in or taking on other people's ideas over your own. Proving why your ideas would work.
    I wouldn't say that's the case as an undergrad.

ReputationRep:
    Huge workload, to the point where you can't enjoy much of the "uni life" like you would be able to in other unis. Pressure, how traditional it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZiggyStardust_)
    Terrible nightlife
    You don't like paying £6 for a double and yelling out the words to 30 second snippets of Disney songs while you wrestle for space on the dancefloor? Weird.

OP the only real negative is that it's quite hard work. Even then, it's only really hard work if you're intent on getting high grades. I know a few people who basically coasted to low 2.1s and were perfectly content with that. Otherwise it's great.

ReputationRep:
    The terms are only 8 weeks long
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The most significant negative effect is the pressure and intensity (work is condensed into short terms) which in severe cases can worsen existing mental health problems (as has happened to two friends who have both needed to intermit) or stress-sensitive health problems.

This isn't to say there isn't a mental health problem at RGs (there is, as with university more generally), but the length of terms and lighter nature of the workload elsewhere offers respite in terms of academic stress. You can often work around deadlines, give yourself days of time off where needed but Oxbridge requires a more consistent work ethic to do well. You may have stress elsewhere from family, health or personal problems, but work rarely adds on a significant level of stress provided you are organised (at least in my experience at an RG).

The plus is that you are taught by people who know their stuff, and you get close tuition. But the negatives can outweigh the positives of great tuition and prestige when it starts to squeeze your health or work-life balance.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    You have to prepare for tutorials/seminars at other universities too.
    eg. Imperial http://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/impe...tions17-18.pdf
    Bristol: https://www.bris.ac.uk/unit-programm...Code=MATH10006
    And for the music course at Durham The dreaded composition tutorials....

ReputationRep:
    Having to write an essay every 2-3 days put me off.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.