The Student Room Group

Crying every night due to low self esteem... Help

I hate myself. I really do. I don’t want to sound melodramatic but it’s been building up since I was twelve, I hate the way I look. I look at myself in the morning and I’m like wow, okay, why did God make something this ugly? I’m 15, currently in year 11, I’m filipino but I’m flat chested, I’ve got acne and back acne, and I’m 5ft1. What makes this worse? I have a younger sister who’s 9. She’s nearly tall as me, she’s developed her breasts already. I started at twelve and they haven’t grown since. I see all these girls in school who are year 8,9 etc and they look so mature and then you have me. I’ve gotten to the points where I contemplated hurting myself because of how I look. I’ve cried every night because I see those instagram points of people in my year who model and they look gorgeous. With GCSEs coming up soon my mental health is in a horrible state and I don’t know... I don’t know what to do. I’ve taken off my social medias but it doesn’t help that my parents constantly talk about how my little sister is going to the beautiful and model material when she’s older.
girl, love yourself <3
please stop and focus on your exams. It is the most important moment in your life. Maybe you know that not all people develope at the same rate. And you will look very young when you will be adult, which is a bonus nowadays. So, take a deep breath and move on!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I hate myself. I really do. I don’t want to sound melodramatic but it’s been building up since I was twelve, I hate the way I look. I look at myself in the morning and I’m like wow, okay, why did God make something this ugly? I’m 15, currently in year 11, I’m filipino but I’m flat chested, I’ve got acne and back acne, and I’m 5ft1. What makes this worse? I have a younger sister who’s 9. She’s nearly tall as me, she’s developed her breasts already. I started at twelve and they haven’t grown since. I see all these girls in school who are year 8,9 etc and they look so mature and then you have me. I’ve gotten to the points where I contemplated hurting myself because of how I look. I’ve cried every night because I see those instagram points of people in my year who model and they look gorgeous. With GCSEs coming up soon my mental health is in a horrible state and I don’t know... I don’t know what to do. I’ve taken off my social medias but it doesn’t help that my parents constantly talk about how my little sister is going to the beautiful and model material when she’s older.

Everyone is different. You need to love yourself for who you are and what you look like. As for your breasts. I'm 19 and flat chested.... all my friends are developed but that's fine, it's nothing to worry about.

As for you wanting to hurt yourself. Please don't, it doesn't solve anything I promise you that. If you feel like hurting yourself there is some advice and tips on the internet to stop yourself or at least limit yourself. Maybe go to see your GP and see if they can do anything to help before things get worse.

You just need to learn to love yourself and stop comparing yourself to other people. Everyone is beautiful in there own way!

My PM is always open if you need to chat
Reply 4
How good a person you are doesn't depend on how tall you are or how big your breasts you are. Your success as a person won't be defined by those things, or even by your exam results.

Sadly, what you're going through is normal for someone your age. Low self esteem, feeling unattractive compared to your peers, and others comparing you to better-looking or more successful people. None of those things are relevant to you. If you really must do anything with hearing/seeing those things, use them as fuel to make yourself better.

I hope things are better now

Quick Reply

Latest