The Student Room Group

Am I good enough?

I'm not book smart and I'm not practically clever and I kind of feel like rubbish and I feel like I'll get nowhere in life as I'm not bright. I have a big confidence issue and struggle with this daily I'm even put off going uni thinking I'm not clever enough and I should just stick to retail all my life as I'll never succeed.
No no no no no. Stop yourself right there.
You are good enough. Don’t let other people’s dumb opinions get in the way of you living your life. Work hard and study hard and do what you’ve always wanted to do in life, whether that means becoming a doctor, computer scientist, fashion designer. You can do anything that you are interested in and set your mind to. I believe in you girl.
Reply 2
Original post by Dija51
I'm not book smart and I'm not practically clever and I kind of feel like rubbish and I feel like I'll get nowhere in life as I'm not bright. I have a big confidence issue and struggle with this daily I'm even put off going uni thinking I'm not clever enough and I should just stick to retail all my life as I'll never succeed.

I am 17; approaching 18 in May. I suffered from bullying, panic attacks, severe depression, self harm whilst taking my GCSE's in 2016. I couldn't of cared what my grades were, my health was my focus. I left with 1 GCSE in Geography and 1 BTEC in ICT.

I started at college and starting studying cabin crew there, as I have a passion for aviation. At the summer of 2017 I left college with qualifications in cabin crew, customer service and I got my maths GCSE.

I enrolled again in September 2017 to start studying a qualification in aviation operations. In December 2017, I started volunteering at the airport as a customer helper, which I had to pass all the very strict security checks.

I am still studying aviation operations at college, but have managed to get myself a job working for Jet2 as a dispatcher in May this year, when my course finishes. Bearing in mind this will be my first ever job and will only have 2 GCSE's, NOT including English, as I won't be able to sit the exam this year.

They purely hired me, because I showed commitment and dedication. As long as you show dedication and work as hard as possible, you will never fail. Only what you do from this day now, will determine your fate. I hope this helps, I know how it feels, truly. All my best goes to you and hopefully you will do well now :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Joshkav
I am 17; approaching 18 in May. I suffered from bullying, panic attacks, severe depression, self harm whilst taking my GCSE's in 2016. I couldn't of cared what my grades were, my health was my focus. I left with 1 GCSE in Geography and 1 BTEC in ICT.

I started at college and starting studying cabin crew there, as I have a passion for aviation. At the summer of 2017 I left college with qualifications in cabin crew, customer service and I got my maths GCSE.

I enrolled again in September 2017 to start studying a qualification in aviation operations. In December 2017, I started volunteering at the airport as a customer helper, which I had to pass all the very strict security checks.

I am still studying aviation operations at college, but have managed to get myself a job working for Jet2 as a dispatcher in May this year, when my course finishes. Bearing in mind this will be my first ever job and will only have 2 GCSE's, NOT including English, as I won't be able to sit the exam this year.

They purely hired me, because I showed commitment and dedication. As long as you show dedication and work as hard as possible, you will never fail. Only what you do from this day now, will determine your fate. I hope this helps, I know how it feels, truly. All my best goes to you and hopefully you will do well now :

Congratulations, keep up the good work.
The feeling of complacency is toxic and poisonous as it 'literally' prevents you from being who you want to be rather than who you now. If you find some sort of meaning in life, it will be enough to drive you to places you've never imagined. Remember not everyone is strictly academic, it's your responsibility and duty to yourself to find out your own talents and make full use of them. So if I, like many others, believe in you, you must definately believe in yourself.
Reply 5
Thankyou guys for the lovely comments confidence is something I need to work on and I will try and not let it affect me on my career goals it just can get very difficult though seeing others succeeding in life and doing so well whilst you are not doing anything
What university?
Reply 7
Original post by Joshkav

They purely hired me, because I showed commitment and dedication. As long as you show dedication and work as hard as possible, you will never fail. Only what you do from this day now, will determine your fate. I hope this helps, I know how it feels, truly. All my best goes to you and hopefully you will do well now :smile:

Well done, lad.
Reply 8
Original post by Joshkav

Thanks for sharing your storey I'm so happy for you! For you to take control in your life and not let your grades get you down is so good I think with me is that I'm scared of failure and rejection as I can find it difficult to recover from but you have not let that affect you :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Harriso1
What university?

Not sure yet either Huddersfield or Leeds Beckett
Original post by Dija51
Thanks for sharing your storey I'm so happy for you! For you to take control in your life and not let your grades get you down is so good I think with me is that I'm scared of failure and rejection as I can find it difficult to recover from but you have not let that affect you :smile:

It's all down to personal motivation. I knew I had hit rock bottom and only I could improve things to what I wanted them to be. As bad as a childhood I might of had or my experiences. I was not going to let these things consume me. I felt the exact same way you do, honestly. Only you can change the way things are, as rubbish as you might feel, you are only young and if you do the right things now, you will have a happy and joyful life :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending