GN0610
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi everyone.

Long story but try to stay with me.

I'm 22 and have applied for University again after failing to complete my HND that I took from 2015-2017 due to severe health issues. I feel ready to face education again.

My HND was run by a college I attended from 17, I knew the tutors from 17-20 ish. In normal circumstances of course I'd ask them to provide me with a reference but the way that I was made to leave the college was far from desirable. I've taken a tonne of sh*t in my life but these people were awful with me when it came to light that I needed to leave my studies. I actually had one tutor (The main head of department) asking me why I had mental health issues and just other critical stuff. I left and promised myself I'd never speak to them again.

I've been out of work for a few years now too, sorting my health out. I have no recent employer and no academic reference I can provide. I've applied for Sheffield University (Who did not want a reference and weren't bothered) and Derby University. I've been offered two conditional places at Derby but I got an email today asking me for copies of my exam records aswell as a reference. The guy stated in the email "The reference can be an academic, employee or character reference and should either bw emailed to me via the referees professional email address or sent via a headed piece of paper"

So I guess my only option is a character reference. Who can I ask to do this? And what does it entail? My friend works for a university and offered to send a reference to Derby University via her own 'professional' email address but I'm not sure if this suffices. MANY of my friends could do me a reference but I'm not sure if it's good enough. I don't exactly have a great social life due to my mental health issues so I don't go out much. My boyfriend even offered to do me a reference but I know this 100% wouldn't be allowed.

Any advice? Thanks.
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by GN0610)
Hi everyone.

Long story but try to stay with me.

I'm 22 and have applied for University again after failing to complete my HND that I took from 2015-2017 due to severe health issues. I feel ready to face education again.

My HND was run by a college I attended from 17, I knew the tutors from 17-20 ish. In normal circumstances of course I'd ask them to provide me with a reference but the way that I was made to leave the college was far from desirable. I've taken a tonne of sh*t in my life but these people were awful with me when it came to light that I needed to leave my studies. I actually had one tutor (The main head of department) asking me why I had mental health issues and just other critical stuff. I left and promised myself I'd never speak to them again.

I've been out of work for a few years now too, sorting my health out. I have no recent employer and no academic reference I can provide. I've applied for Sheffield University (Who did not want a reference and weren't bothered) and Derby University. I've been offered two conditional places at Derby but I got an email today asking me for copies of my exam records aswell as a reference. The guy stated in the email "The reference can be an academic, employee or character reference and should either bw emailed to me via the referees professional email address or sent via a headed piece of paper"

So I guess my only option is a character reference. Who can I ask to do this? And what does it entail? My friend works for a university and offered to send a reference to Derby University via her own 'professional' email address but I'm not sure if this suffices. MANY of my friends could do me a reference but I'm not sure if it's good enough. I don't exactly have a great social life due to my mental health issues so I don't go out much. My boyfriend even offered to do me a reference but I know this 100% wouldn't be allowed.

Any advice? Thanks.
No to a boyfriend. I would say a friend who works at a uni should suffice but maybe check with Derby and explain your situation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
60.08%
I don't have everything I need (99)
39.92%

Watched Threads