Work experience for medicine Watch

cocoabean20
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hey, so I'm in year 12 right now and I really want to apply for medicine for uni but I can't find work experience anywhere and its basically compulsory for medicine. Also, I live in Northampton which is quite a small town so there aren't a lot of hospitals here and most of the smaller Gp's don't do work experience. I've tried looking online and emailing but I've gotten no replies and I feel like I'm running out of time. Is there any advice anyone has to find work experience or any places I could look because I feel like I'm out of options.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by josiediaby)
Hey, so I'm in year 12 right now and I really want to apply for medicine for uni but I can't find work experience anywhere and its basically compulsory for medicine. Also, I live in Northampton which is quite a small town so there aren't a lot of hospitals here and most of the smaller Gp's don't do work experience. I've tried looking online and emailing but I've gotten no replies and I feel like I'm running out of time. Is there any advice anyone has to find work experience or any places I could look because I feel like I'm out of options.
You don't have to have work experience in a doctors work place - you could look for a job as a carer.

Try calling instead of online/email. Only email to follow up on a phone call after you've asked who you should be emailing.

Also ask about volunteering, paid work opportunities and work shadowing as alternatives to work experience.
cocoabean20
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Okay, I’ll try that. Thanks, that’s really helpful
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
The Medic Portal
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by josiediaby)
Hi there,

Firstly, don't worry! There are plenty of other options and medical schools know that hospital work experience is very difficult to come by, so will be understanding of this if you've looked to gain work experience in other areas - for example, in a GP.

You can see exactly the kinds of work experience that med schools look for on our Medical School Work Experience Requirements page - as you'll see, most just require you to demonstrate an understanding of the realities of working in medicine and do not specify hospital work experience specifically.

You can also find out more about GP work experience here.

Charity and volunteering work is also equally applicable to medicine - you can read up on how to use these experiences in your application on our How to Apply Volunteering Work to Medicine blog.

Hope this helps!
The Medic Portal
Fudgey1111
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
[QUOTE=josiediaby;77188132]Hey, so I'm in year 12 right now and I really want to apply for medicine for uni but I can't find work experience anywhere and its basically compulsory for medicine. Also, I live in Northampton which is quite a small town so there aren't a lot of hospitals here and most of the smaller Gp's don't do work experience. I've tried looking online and emailing but I've gotten no replies and I feel like I'm running out of time. Is there any advice anyone has to find work experience or any places I could look because I feel like I'm out of options.[/QUOTE come to the toon mate mint party life got a fuw seshs for u anorl ish ish
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (73)
15.97%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (46)
10.07%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (88)
19.26%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (64)
14%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (48)
10.5%
How can I be the best version of myself? (138)
30.2%

Watched Threads