This discussion is closed.
Labrador99
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi everyone :wavey:

Now that the projects will have been collected by the SQA, I though we might need a place to discuss revision and the exam, which will be on 8th May :eek:

How is everyone getting on with exam prep? Which areas do you find the toughest?

Spoiler:
Show

(Original post by Ethan100)
Hey!

I am doing my project on Young's Modulus and I was wondering if any others here are doing the same?

How is everyone finding the project and what topics are you doing also?
(Original post by Canerom)
I am doing mine on Young's Modulus as well, how are you finding it? Mine is due in 2 days :/
Ethan100
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hello everyone,

Hope revision is going well. I'm struggling to understand unit three so that's what I've been focusing on.
uzi24
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi everyone!

I can't for the life of me figure this out. Can anyone help?

Two in-phase speakers A and B are emitting a signal of wavelength 1.06 m. A tape recorder is placed on the straight line between the speakers, 2.53 m from speaker A.

Calculate the shortest distance from the tape recorder that speaker B should be placed, to ensure constructive interference where the signal is recorded.

Answer = 0.41 m
Feynboy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by uzi24)
Hi everyone!

I can't for the life of me figure this out. Can anyone help?

Two in-phase speakers A and B are emitting a signal of wavelength 1.06 m. A tape recorder is placed on the straight line between the speakers, 2.53 m from speaker A.

Calculate the shortest distance from the tape recorder that speaker B should be placed, to ensure constructive interference where the signal is recorded.

Answer = 0.41 m
For constructive interference you want the waves to meet at the tape recorder in phase.

From A to tape recorder:
2.53/1.06 = 2.386... wavelengths
So at the tape recorder the wave emitted from A is at 0.386... of a wavelength. i.e. there has been 2.386 waves from A to recorder.

So to be constructive, you want the wave from B to be at 0.386... of a wavelength also. So this could be 0.386, 1.386, 2.386 of a wavelength.
It asks for the shortest so :
0.386..*1.06 = 0.41m
tomctutor
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Labrador99)
Hi everyone :wavey:

Now that the projects will have been collected by the SQA, I though we might need a place to discuss revision and the exam, which will be on 8th May :eek:

How is everyone getting on with exam prep? Which areas do you find the toughest?

Spoiler:
Show

Thanks to Labrador99 for kicking off this thread for the SQA Advanced Higher Physics 2017/2018 exam.

Past papers here:- http://mrmackenzie.co.uk/advanced-higher/

(also relationship and curriculum info there)

Last years forum was at
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4282746
(also by Labrador99)
tomctutor
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hello everyone,

Hope revision is going well. I'm struggling to understand unit three so that's what I've been focusing on.
CfE has no unit number references, you mean the third unit you done at your school!

Just fire up any problems your having here please be clear about paper and Q.No's as there was multiple papers in a single year past- please specify revised, newer or older curriculum- even better a snapshot image of the question pasted into the thread!:crossedf:
Ethan100
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Can someone explain how to do questions that deal with uncertainties? We haven't been taught any of it at all.
tomctutor
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Can someone explain how to do questions that deal with uncertainties? We haven't been taught any of it at all.
Thats a big question - its like saying can you tell me how to answer Advanced Higher Questions?:rolleyes:

I refer you to pages 9 through 21 on the course notes regarding Uncertainties pointed to in this - link.

e.g. Ohms Law? V=IR,  I = 0.25(\pm0.02)A,  R=4.0(\pm0.2)\Omega gives
\frac{\Delta I}{I}=\frac{0.02}{0.25}=0.080
\frac{\Delta R}{R}=\frac{0.2}{4.0}=0.050

\frac{\Delta V}{V}=\sqrt{(.080^2+0.050^2)} = 0.094
\Delta V = 0.094\times V=0.094\times1.00=0.094volt

V=1.0(\pm0.09) volt would do.
A12322
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Name:  Screenshot_315.png
Views: 61
Size:  268.9 KB Hi, can anyone help with these? Would be much appreciated!
Attached files
tomctutor
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by A12322)
Hi, can anyone help with these? Would be much appreciated!
Name:  NC_AHPhysics2018_electricfields.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  113.6 KB
tomctutor
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi, can anyone help with these? Would be much appreciated!
Name:  NC_AHPhysics2018_electricfieldsq5.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  107.1 KB
hydroxide
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by tomctutor)
Name:  NC_AHPhysics2018_electricfieldsq5.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  107.1 KB
Is Ep=Fr a formula we need to know?
tomctutor
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by hydroxide)
Is Ep=Fr a formula we need to know?
Gain in Potential energy is equal to the work done,

W=\int_{\inf}^{r'} \ F \ .dr

(the force is Coulomb force)
A12322
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by tomctutor)
Gain in Potential energy is equal to the work done = force x distance,

(the force is Coulomb force)
Many thanks for this! Could you possibly give a list of derivations we must know?

Also, when working out electric field strength, or force due to a field, is the negative sign ever included?
tomctutor
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Many thanks for this! Could you possibly give a list of derivations we must know?

Also, when working out electric field strength, or force due to a field, is the negative sign ever included?
I've just amended the previous post to highlight the definition
but it simply works out to Fr in magnitude,

don't worry about negative signs as long as you are aware that the potential from +Q is positive and the field is outwords. (opposite for -Q).

An electric dipole is +Q and -Q pair and obviously the force is one of attraction.

Electric Potential energy U= Vq (which is a scalar) and
Electric Field intensity(strength) E = F/q (which is a vector same direction as force) for a small charge "q" placed in an electric potential V volt region.

You dont need to know the fact that the field, as a function E(r):= -\nabla V(r)
or the potential gradient.

Should add you would be expected to derive the relationship E=V/d for the situation where there is a uniform field between to plates where there exists a potential difference V volt and separation d:

this is easy since work done is gain in potential energy of charge q E_w=Fd= U=Vq , (since F is uniform we need not worry about calculus here),
so \frac{F}{q}=\frac{V}{d}, i.e. the field intensity E=\frac{V}{d}
Ethan100
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Does anybody have any last minute tips that we may forget in the exam?
tomctutor
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Im signing off now so just to say good luck tomorrow,
Someone please upload quality images of paper if you can (after the exam concludes- ask the invigilator)

remember - relationship formulae- substitution- work out- answer correct number of sig. figs and SI units.

It would be nice if some of you would spend some time learning to use Latex scripting here (TSR link)!:cry:
username3509752
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Good luck everyone. I'll be honest I'm not looking forward to tomorrow because unit 3 was kinda rushed by our teacher.
HenryZ
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
How many sigfig is considered correct?
Labrador99
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
All the best for tomorrow everyone- hope it goes well Make sure you get some rest tonight and just do your best in the morning
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Further education
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (61)
8.22%
I used to but I don't now (18)
2.43%