Advanced Higher Physics 2017-18 Watch

This discussion is closed.
Canerom
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Was it just me that thought the paper was stupidly long? I got through the vast majority of questions ok, leaving the ones I couldn't do until the end inc. the open-ended as well. Although I just finished the last question on the 2.5hr mark and didn't have time to go back through the questions I left. :/
Joker62
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Was the answer to 8b Solar Wind or Plasma?
TheDayTripper
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Thought it was a 3 hour paper for some reason. Lol so 11 marks didn't even get attempted
hydroxide
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Joker62)
Was the answer to 8b Solar Wind or Plasma?
I said solar wind, but I'm not sure
gregor104
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Canerom)
Was it just me that thought the paper was stupidly long? I got through the vast majority of questions ok, leaving the ones I couldn't do until the end inc. the open-ended as well. Although I just finished the last question on the 2.5hr mark and didn't have time to go back through the questions I left. :/
Yeah, this is pretty much exactly what happened to me. I think that I filled out most of the blanks that I left, but I didn't get to look over any calculations. I ended up only writing a single sentence for the second open-ended question Everyone else I've spoken to was pushed for time as well, so I suppose that's reassuring at least.
Medic DUX
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by hydroxide)
I said solar wind, but I'm not sure
I wrote solar flares due to coronal mass ejection. I believe that the paper was of increased difficulty in comparison to previous years and was also rushed for time as the paper was rediculiously long and also left out questions blank hoping to come back to later but didn't have time. What are we thinking the grade boundaries will be? Considering it was 65% for an A the previous two years, guess SQA don't do much sympathy 😢
rabsgood
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I put down solar winds. It's very conflicted right now what the answer is. I really hope they do lower the grade boundaries. I felt like we didn't have enough time as well. I only managed to complete one of the knowledge questions in the time we had because I had to rush it.
MC2k
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Edgemaster)
Decent paper imo, though I'll probably still get a B because of my awful assignment. Can anybody explain how they scale the marks in the paper with the assignment?
So the exam paper is out of 140, this is scaled down to be worth 100 marks i.e. by dividing your score by 140 and multiplying by 100. For example, say you scored 100/140 in the exam and 23/30 in the assignment, your marks would get combined like this.

Exam paper: 100*(100/140)= 71 (rounded to the nearest whole number
So exam in 71/100, plus a 23/30 assignment is 94/130.
MC2k
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I thought the paper was quite fair, although admittedly I'd say the exam setter were trying to catch people out a lot, for example in the one with the nanopascals and km/s units, and the one with the sodium light where you had to look in the section of the data-booklet that you never look at, but pretty easy to be honest, definitely all within the course content or with enough information that it was easy. Pretty certain the answer was solar winds btw
David9101
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
is there any answers yet ?
tomctutor
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Medic DUX)
tomctutor

Hey man, I remember you posted the paper solutions after the Higher Physics exam last year, good to see you back!

Any chance you could please post some solutions for todays AH exam if you have some time to spare 😆

(User above has posted the question paper)

Thanks in advance
Yes I have the papers-scan and good quality one for a change- i'll pdf that up with link
asap.

Completed (worked solutions this thread - here)
Joker62
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by tomctutor)
I might do that if there's enough demand but it will probably take a day to do! :cyber:
Yes please post the solutions. It would be greatly appreciated!
David9101
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
For the question about the car and how the mass decreased what did everyone put ? did it or didn't it leave the surface ?
PaulK2110
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Yes I have the papers-scan and good quality one for a change- i'll pdf that up with link
asap.

I will do that but it will probably take a day to do! :cyber:
That would be greatly appreciated mate, your solitions to last years Higher certainly calmed my nerves after the exam! Thanks
Joker62
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Was the answer to the very first question
a = -0.0029 metres per second sqauered?
And is this an appropriate number of significant figures?
David9101
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Joker62)
Was the answer to the very first question
a = -0.0029 metres per second sqauered?
And is this an appropriate number of significant figures?
I got that how ever left it in scientific notation.
tomctutor
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by PaulK2110)
That would be greatly appreciated mate, your solitions to last years Higher certainly calmed my nerves after the exam! Thanks
Need Q6 wasn't in that image set!
Got it now thanks.
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
It was an open ended question to do with the apparent brightness of two stars
Joker62
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Open Ended Question:
“Bellatrix and Acrab are two stars which are similar in size. However, the apparent brightness of each is different. Use your knowledge of stellar physics to comment on why there is a difference in the apparent brightness of the two stars.”
username3509752
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
If I recall correctly:
Two stars are of the same size but have different apparent brightness. Using your knowledge of stellar physics comment on why that might be.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (68)
59.65%
No (46)
40.35%

Watched Threads