Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i am due to start my degree in September. I have my wedding booked for October and we are going to Cypus for 2 weeks. It has been booked for 18 months and I have tried my best but as it was paid for by my partners parents and there are 40 people attending I can not change my wedding. Will i lose my place on the degree if I take 2 weeks off? I understand I will miss work and if I could cancel I would but I simply do not have the funds to refund everybody for their holidays. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks

(Original post by VictoriaHD)
    Hi, i am due to start my degree in September. I have my wedding booked for October and we are going to Cypus for 2 weeks. It has been booked for 18 months and I have tried my best but as it was paid for by my partners parents and there are 40 people attending I can not change my wedding. Will i lose my place on the degree if I take 2 weeks off? I understand I will miss work and if I could cancel I would but I simply do not have the funds to refund everybody for their holidays. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks
    Who's the genius who arranged it for then in the first place?

Talk to the university. We can't help you.

ReputationRep:
    It's unlikely you'll lose your place but your course tutors may be checking attendance. If they don't, it'll just be a case of making sure you don't miss any important deadlines (unlikely considering it's October) and whether you can reasonably catch up on the workload. You should check with the university though.

ReputationRep:
    Each uni will have its individual policy.

ReputationRep:
    hmm...hey....I will go to uni next year...cool...when does it start ?...usually in september....nice...let's do the wedding in october......ok....*facepalm*
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hi, it was arranged a year before I applied for uni so at the time I was working a full time job so there was no reason to not book October. I never take time off from anything so this is a major concern for me. I will catch up as I am an extremely hard worker and I am used to a huge workload but I am concerned about my place on the degree. If I could go back and change it I would but I simply did not know at the time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bones-mccoy)
    It's unlikely you'll lose your place but your course tutors may be checking attendance. If they don't, it'll just be a case of making sure you don't miss any important deadlines (unlikely considering it's October) and whether you can reasonably catch up on the workload. You should check with the university though.
    Thank you, I am really concerned

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HorribleDude)
    hmm...hey....I will go to uni next year...cool...when does it start ?...usually in september....nice...let's do the wedding in october......ok....*facepalm*
    I wasn’t planning on uni this year I was planning on next year but due to my circumstances changing it was made possible for me to apply this year

ReputationRep:
    ermmm excuse me, but that's nothing

try having a wedding in mid april during your final year, when you have 6 exams and a dissertation to hand in

i wasnt getting married, but i was an immediate relative tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faith 101)

try having a wedding in mid april during your final year, when you have 6 exams and a dissertation to hand in

If you're not the one getting married it isn't even slightly comparable, frankly.

ReputationRep:

Was everything ok? Will I lose my place do you think? It’s a horrible situation to be in and I would cancel my wedding as my degree is extremely important to me but I can’t cancel as so many people have paid so much money to attend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlayWithMarkers)
    If you're not the one getting married it isn't even slightly comparable, frankly.
    it depends on the culture, i guess

in my culture weddings are a massive thing. your house becomes a tourist destinaton, with 100 relatives coming in every day, creating disturbances, so much fuss etc.

the house became a tip for 2 weeks or something

trust me.

i couldnt do much about it. i missed out on a lot of revision time and couldnt just take a hike and revise at the uni library cos i had to help quite a bit

ReputationRep:
    it depends on the culture, i guess

in my culture weddings are a massive thing. your house becomes a tourist destinaton, with 100 relatives coming in every day, creating disturbances, so much fuss etc.

the house became a tip for 2 weeks or something

trust me.

i couldnt do much about it. i missed out on a lot of revision time and couldnt just take a hike and revise at the uni library cos i had to help quite a bit
    Right, but this is a person actively leaving the country for 2 weeks as well as the stress of actually planning their own wedding etc which greatly extends the window of stress. I get that, I have Turkish friends in particular who go through similar stuff, just bugs me when people downplay the experiences of others a bit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VictoriaHD)
    Was everything ok? Will I lose my place do you think? It’s a horrible situation to be in and I would cancel my wedding as my degree is extremely important to me but I can’t cancel as so many people have paid so much money to attend
    april doesnt have any scheduled teaching and stuff (for me anyway). so there was no fear of missing important stuffs

it's impossible for me to say, but i doubt they would make you lose your place tbh. at worse, they'll probably warn you or something

first year is nothing though. i wouldnt sweat it so much. but you will have to still work hard and be motivated in order to catch up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlayWithMarkers)
    Right, but this is a person actively leaving the country for 2 weeks as well as the stress of actually planning their own wedding etc which greatly extends the window of stress. I get that, I have Turkish friends in particular who go through similar stuff, just bugs me when people downplay the experiences of others a bit!
    ok then

sorry

and to you too, op

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 19, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.