Edinburgh vs Glasgow Vet Med

Watch
smhineedalife
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm currently studying for the final year of IB in Hong Kong. I am struggling to choose between Edinburgh and Glasgow for veterinary medicine. Personally, I'm more drawn to Edinburgh as they have exotic animal in their programme. I'm not sure about Glasgow, all I know is that they have an option for exotic animals during Y2/Y3? I really would want to know more about the two universities and cities.
BridgeHouseGlasgow
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi there,

I'm afraid I can't help you with the specifics of studying Vet Med as I did English Literature, but I can tell you a bit about Glasgow University as a uni and Glasgow as a city.

The Glasgow University campus is in the West End of Glasgow and it's all contained within the one area of the city with nothing being very far apart. Although, I understand the Vet Med campus is in Anniesland, an area about 30-35 minutes away from the West End on foot, or a short bus/train ride away. In first year, a lot of students will live in halls but in second year I think it is fairly common to move out to the Anniesland area so you are closer to the Vet Med building. I live in Anniesland myself and I often see Vet students around - I see their branded hoodies, haha!

The city of Glasgow is also pretty large. There's lots of areas you won't need to go to unless you need/want to - a bit like London in that sense. The city centre is brilliant for shopping, eating and drinking. The West End has lots of cool restaurants and bars too. The nightlife is varied and exciting and there's always something going on depending on your interests.

I've also spent a lot of time in Edinburgh over the years. It definitely offers something totally different, they aren't really comparable as cities. Edinburgh is more of a historic town. There is a busy shopping area in the city centre, plenty of great places to eat or drink but the historic element is definately more central. I believe the university is more scattered too. There are definite campus areas but some of the buildings are more spread out/a bus ride away, rather than in Glasgow where almost everything is walkable.

If you have a chance to come to Scotland I would highly recommend visiting both places and see where you feel suits you best.

I also personally think that the course you choose should be the most important part of your decision, as you can grow to love other aspects of a place but if you struggle with the course and don't feel it's for you, that can be a huge hindrance.

I hope this helps a bit!

Lilith
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (26)
68.42%
I don't have everything I need (12)
31.58%

Watched Threads