The Student Room Group

self harm scar advice

so it’s that time of year where it starts to get warm and it’s impossible to go outside whilst covering my arms. My left arm is covered in very obvious, raised white scars from self harm. Past summers I’ve been very self conscious and tried to cover them up and obviously haven’t enjoyed summer so this year I want to gain some confidence and just not care what people think. Does anyone have any advice on how not to care? What would be your reaction if you saw someone out with very visible scars and how would you react? Am I just over thinking everything?? My biggest concern is someone asking me what they are or making people uncomfortable
You could try high denier skin coloured tights for that area (cut the foot bit off) depends how pale/raised the scars are though. Or some of those tattoo sleeve covers (they are expensive though)
Tbh i just dont bother and just end up sweltering by covering up but prefer that to the stares
Do you use Bio-oil? Or cocoa butter? They're quite good for helping scars. I cover mine with a good foundation, but there is always the risk of that coming off. Personally, if I see somebody with scars, I don't really notice them. The only people who will stare or make fun are those who don't deserve the time of day.
Is it a lot? If it’s only a few people might not notice unless they are very close. If it’s quite a lot maybe just try and forget about them yourself. You will draw more attention to them if you constantly think about them (as you will probably try and cover them without meaning to).
I live in a very hot state and I've got to the stage where I just couldn't give a ****. My left arm is completely covered in scars yet I'm at work right now with my shirt sleeves rolled up because it's too damn hot. I think most people don't want uncomfortable conversations so just ignore them. Ime it's mostly children that ask what happened, I just tell them that's why they have signs to not feed the tiger at the zoo. But kids are just curious they don't get that you're "not meant to talk about mental problems". I had one adult ask what happened in the past 5 years - I told her I put my arm through a window accidentally. End of conversation.
Reply 5
90% of people don’t mention it, and the people that do are usually saying they have been through it too! I’ve had a few ignorant comments which weren’t meant to come out the way it did, but I just shake them off. I’ve been through the dressed for winter in summer thing and it really isn’t worth the discomfort!

I was so afraid when I first went out with them not covered, but now it’s only a minor anxiety. It gets better the more you do it and I promise that most people won’t react at all.
I wouldn't judge you on your self harm scars or think any less of you because of them but there will unfortunately be people who do.

You either have to own it (if you have enough confidence to do so) and understand that there will be some people out there who don't understand. Instead of writing the people off who don't understand you could use it as a chance to educate people and in some way break the stigma that's attached to people who struggle with such things.

The thing is if your scars are that bad then they are going to be there for the rest of your life and no bio-oil or treatments will get rid of them. So unless you want to cover up for the rest of your life you need to learn to accept your scars for what they are and don't let them get in the way of you being you.
Sounds weird but I think scars look cool. Doesn't matter where they came from I think the fact that there's a history behind them makes them interesting. I have small scars on my face from the time I had chicken pox as a baby. If I had the choice to remove them I just wouldn't.
To not care is not to feel. As hard as we try we can’t not care what people think it’s human nature. Believe me I’ve tried and most things people say don’t get to me any more but there are a few things that get me to feel all the emotions that I suppress, especially when the comments or questions that people ask are from those who you care about the most. It’s easy to not care what others think as you, but trying not to care what those closest to you think is a lot harder. Like I said to not care is to not feel. To answer your question though I normally make a joke about it or agree with what the person says about me.
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
so it’s that time of year where it starts to get warm and it’s impossible to go outside whilst covering my arms. My left arm is covered in very obvious, raised white scars from self harm. Past summers I’ve been very self conscious and tried to cover them up and obviously haven’t enjoyed summer so this year I want to gain some confidence and just not care what people think. Does anyone have any advice on how not to care? What would be your reaction if you saw someone out with very visible scars and how would you react? Am I just over thinking everything?? My biggest concern is someone asking me what they are or making people uncomfortable

Bio Oil is good for scars

Quick Reply