Someone came for inspection of room without notice Watch

snodge182
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi all,

Again like the last time my friend's letting agency are up to some weird tricks.

So today some guy came round and within 5 seconds of knocking he unlocked and opened the door to the bedroom. I was just in my boxers as I'm staying in my friends house and so I ran into the en-suite and asked what they were there for. They said they were there for an inspection and said they will come back later.

The thing is that there was no notice given to the tenants about this inspection at all. I got my friend to contact the agency and ask them about it and they said that it doesn't go through them so they don't have to give any notice?!?

Sounds like madness but what can we do about it?
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For starters, check your contract and see what it says regarding inspections or the landlord entering the property unannounced.
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You hid in the bathroom, lol.
snodge182
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
there is a clause about it:
6.3) To permit or any person authorised by the landlord or the agency at all reasonable times upon not less than one day's notice (or no notice in an emergency) to enter the property to examine the condition or to comply with any obligations imposed on the landlord by law.

So technically they are breaching the contract?

(Original post by Gofre)
For starters, check your contract and see what it says regarding inspections or the landlord entering the property unannounced.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by snodge182)

So technically they are breaching the contract?
It sounds that way. I would go back to the letting agency and ask them to have a word with the landlord reminding him of this clause.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
Tell them to have a word with the landlord, they should always give notice. Obviously this isn't going to require legal action but it's important they know they should be giving tenants warning.
Last year we had quite a few unannounced house viewings. Was a bit of a pain but not a big deal.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
I think barging in to their room (where they pay for privacy) without notice is a big deal. Just lucky they weren't butt naked walking around instead of their boxers like I would have been. Plus a lot of people like to have sex in the privacy of their room too, don't know about you but I wouldn't want any stranger to see me like that.

(Original post by Anonymous)
Tell them to have a word with the landlord, they should always give notice. Obviously this isn't going to require legal action but it's important they know they should be giving tenants warning.
Last year we had quite a few unannounced house viewings. Was a bit of a pain but not a big deal.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (203)
23.52%
Pop (214)
24.8%
Jazz (33)
3.82%
Classical (48)
5.56%
Hip-Hop (166)
19.24%