Turn on thread page Beta

should I just do driving test watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ok, so I have done about 20 hours driving with parents and 6 hours of lessons. I have had previous experience driving in fields as well, and watched countless YouTube videos.
    I would say it's very unlikely I would pass the test but i can book it for 6 days time.
    with lesson prices of £45, would anyone think it's a good idea just to go for the test. treat it as an expensive lesson with the possibility of saving money on future lessons.
    would taking the test help with practice as well, as I would be able to see what needs improvement and what is going well
    thanks
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I failed my driving test and have had 50 lessons find it difficult to reverse park don't think my instructor is very good as she has gotten me used to driving in quieter areas when I was on the test I was a bit overwhelmed also she helps me a lot which is good in a way and I paid £62 but have to pay for lesson before the test

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dija51)
    I failed my driving test and have had 50 lessons find it difficult to reverse park don't think my instructor is very good as she has gotten me used to driving in quieter areas when I was on the test I was a bit overwhelmed also she helps me a lot which is good in a way and I paid £62 but have to pay for lesson before the test
    yeah, I would say it's very unlikely I would pass. but I just wondered if it was worth just going for the test so I can find out what I need to work on, rather then keep paying for lessons to go through the syllabus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie758)
    ok, so I have done about 20 hours driving with parents and 6 hours of lessons. I have had previous experience driving in fields as well, and watched countless YouTube videos.
    I would say it's very unlikely I would pass the test but i can book it for 6 days time.
    with lesson prices of £45, would anyone think it's a good idea just to go for the test. treat it as an expensive lesson with the possibility of saving money on future lessons.
    would taking the test help with practice as well, as I would be able to see what needs improvement and what is going well
    thanks
    There's no right answer. Some people may take 50 lessons while others may only need 12 and pass within a week.

The only issue is when having lessons from parents they could have picked up bad habits over the years or may not pay close enough attention to minor details where a good driving instructor will be by the book.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/national...ans-category-b
    If you're competent and doing the things described above there shouldn't be any problem.

ReputationRep:
    I guess you can but I'd like to go in first time knowing that I'm going to pass but it has helped me to experience what it is like I was a nervous wreck and it went by so quick and after I was like why was I so nervous it's up to you if you have enough money to do that go ahead but i'd rather be confident in my driving abilities
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Moved to Learning to drive
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Instead, how about doing a mock test with your instructor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anagogic)
    There's no right answer. Some people may take 50 lessons while others may only need 12 and pass within a week.

The only issue is when having lessons from parents they could have picked up bad habits over the years or may not pay close enough attention to minor details where a good driving instructor will be by the book.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/national...ans-category-b
    If you're competent and doing the things described above there shouldn't be any problem.
    yeah I see your point, my instructor is very busy so can't get as many lessons as I would like with him, and is going away soon. part of the reasoning for going for the test is so I would know what I had to do. it would then mean I could practice the area's I was bad at with my parents knowing what I should be doing

ReputationRep:
    I think when learning to drive in the beginning you can't let your instructor take baby steps as some may do this to get more money out of you. You need someone who will push you and take you out of your comfort zone my instructor did not do this and I wasn't aware which is why I've had 50 lessons because she's been taking me to quiter areas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dija51)
    I think when learning to drive in the beginning you can't let your instructor take baby steps as some may do this to get more money out of you. You need someone who will push you and take you out of your comfort zone my instructor did not do this and I wasn't aware which is why I've had 50 lessons because she's been taking me to quiter areas
    yeah that's a good point. it really annoyed me in the first lesson we just did steering, yet I had been driving for the past 5 years, felt like it was a bit of. a waste

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    Instead, how about doing a mock test with your instructor?
    I would but I don't have another lesson for 2 weeks, and living in the middle of nowhere I want to be making progress

ReputationRep:
    yeah that's a good point. it really annoyed me in the first lesson we just did steering, yet I had been driving for the past 5 years, felt like it was a bit of. a waste
    Yeah I wish someone had told me this before I found out after that I should be driving on busier roads after 20 lessons! She has been taking me to residential areas that were quiet

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend taking the lessons because even if you have passed your test, your not going to be an experienced driver. You’ll just be putting other people in danger as well as yourself. It’s really not going to be worth the red card lol
    thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You pay £45 per lesson?!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.