Turn on thread page Beta

Got new glasses, hate them watch

ReputationRep:
    I have always been told I need glasses for driving, watching television, using a computer and pretty much anything that involves seeing. I could get away with it before but now as I'm getting a bit older my eyesight seems to be getting worse and it's probably because I didn't follow my opticians advice and just wear my glasses.

I have tried contact lenses SO many times but I can never get on with them. I've even been to a contact lense class where they teach you how to put them in and take them out but I can't master it. I even got one stuck in my eye and had to make a trip to A+E.

The issue is every pair of glasses I seem to get just make me look and feel like an idiot. I feel stupid wearing them. I feel they don't suit me and may sound rather over-dramatic but they make me feel really ugly. So I just don't wear them....

The ones I got around a month ago give me the exact same feelings....

Does anyone have any advice for me?

ReputationRep:
    I guess you could spend more time at the optometrist’s looking for a style that suits you. Otherwise I’d say don’t worry about it. Judging by your profile picture it would be very hard to make you look ugly.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I hated wearing glasses but I use contacts these days 70% of the time, glasses when I cba and all the time at home because they're a hassle. I think you just have to try all styles and then stick with one, giving it a chance. I think it ïs more the fact that you're not used to seeing yourself with them and nor is everyone else. Like a new haircut, it'll fade into normality. Try every style, size, shapes, colour until you're as content as you can be. I mean how many times do you look at someone and think 'damn he doesn't suit glasses' or anything Like that
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    I guess you could spend more time at the optometrist’s looking for a style that suits you. Otherwise I’d say don’t worry about it. Judging by your profile picture it would be very hard to make you look ugly.
    I spent a long time looking at different styles but once I got them home I just felt like Deirdre Barlow. I was just wondering if it's normal for people to feel that way about their glasses....

Thanks for the compliment but it's very possible, infact right at this very moment I look like a piece of dog poo that's been burnt onto the pavement in a heatwave.

ReputationRep:
    Keep looking for a pair that you like and suits you? :dontknow:

Although it might be just you thinking that you look ugly in glasses. I'm sure you look fine in them, you just have to get used to how your face looks with glasses on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chichaldo)
    Yeah I hated wearing glasses but I use contacts these days 70% of the time, glasses when I cba and all the time at home because they're a hassle. I think you just have to try all styles and then stick with one, giving it a chance. I think it ïs more the fact that you're not used to seeing yourself with them and nor is everyone else. Like a new haircut, it'll fade into normality. Try every style, size, shapes, colour until you're as content as you can be. I mean how many times do you look at someone and think 'damn he doesn't suit glasses' or anything Like that
    Thank you! I reckon you are right, I just need to try and get used to them.

I also feel as if people think I'm wearing them as some sort of fashion statement rather than actually needing them. Which makes me feel even more ridiculous.

(Original post by Reeeeyah)
    I have always been told I need glasses for driving, watching television, using a computer and pretty much anything that involves seeing. I could get away with it before but now as I'm getting a bit older my eyesight seems to be getting worse and it's probably because I didn't follow my opticians advice and just wear my glasses.

I have tried contact lenses SO many times but I can never get on with them. I've even been to a contact lense class where they teach you how to put them in and take them out but I can't master it. I even got one stuck in my eye and had to make a trip to A+E.

The issue is every pair of glasses I seem to get just make me look and feel like an idiot. I feel stupid wearing them. I feel they don't suit me and may sound rather over-dramatic but they make me feel really ugly. So I just don't wear them....

Get over it and wear them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    Get over it and wear them.
    Well Tootles, that's what I'm trying to do but I'm struggling with it.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I would like to know more about this story.... what happened?! :eek3:

I don't think there's much you can do about your glasses other than keep trying different pairs until you get used to them I HATE wearing my glasses too so I completely understand how you feel :hugs:

Well Tootles, that's what I'm trying to do but I'm struggling with it.
    Ignore them. There's no secret to it - if you need them, put them on your face and forget they're there.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)

I don't think there's much you can do about your glasses other than keep trying different pairs until you get used to them I HATE wearing my glasses too so I completely understand how you feel :hugs:
    you wear glasses? :awesome: didn't know you were in the speccy crew :bhangra:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)

I managed to get them in one weekend and everything was great. I could see and the world was glorious but the trouble is I couldn't get them back out (that's always the trouble). It got to Sunday and I panicked and rushed to A+E. There's always something slightly unnerving about having something stuck in your eye. The nurse got it out in seconds and I think it's maybe made me slightly fearful of ever using them again.

Thanks for being so understanding :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Get a pair with transitions lenses - summer is coming up so you'll want to wear sunglasses. After a little while you'll get used to them.

ReputationRep:
    I hated glasses too, it got to the point I couldn't see from the front sit, only then I started wearing glasses for school. Later my eyesight got even worse and I had to wear glasses more often.

It takes time to get used to the look with glasses. It took me a few years. Just take the glasses with you and wear them when you want to. It is a good first step.
    You can get a lot of pairs in Zenni so you can choose which one you want.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    You just have to get used to them, I'm afraid. I used to hate my glasses a lot but now I think I look funny without them
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Airmed)
    You just have to get used to them, I'm afraid. I used to hate my glasses a lot but now I think I look funny without them
    you look great either way :hugs: 🤓

ReputationRep:

There's no other way, you'll just have to get used to it. I needed classes in year 6 and didn't wear them till year 10ish after the opticians said I needed to wear them full time. As you can see, my eyesight got increasingly worse so you should wear them before you have to wear it full time! I'm also uncomfortable with wearing glasses, although I have to wear it full time I only wear it for in classes as I am not 100% comfortable with wearing them yet but I have learnt to wear them more often now. Hopefully I don't sound like a hypocrite, but honestly no one is going to judge you for having poor eyesight, there are plenty of people out there who wears glasses as well. Even some people choose to wear "fake" glasses as it's trendy to do so. You may think you look "dumb" in your glasses but I'm sure you look fine in them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelic Charm)
    There's no other way, you'll just have to get used to it. I needed classes in year 6 and didn't wear them till year 10ish after the opticians said I needed to wear them full time. As you can see, my eyesight got increasingly worse so you should wear them before you have to wear it full time! I'm also uncomfortable with wearing glasses, although I have to wear it full time I only wear it for in classes as I am not 100% comfortable with wearing them yet but I have learnt to wear them more often now. Hopefully I don't sound like a hypocrite, but honestly no one is going to judge you for having poor eyesight, there are plenty of people out there who wears glasses as well. Even some people choose to wear "fake" glasses as it's trendy to do so. You may think you look "dumb" in your glasses but I'm sure you look fine in them!
    I'm just like this. I prefer not wearing them when I can still function without them. XD I was told to wear glasses full-time long ago... was doing so only for a year, then stopped and my vision even improved from then.

ReputationRep:
    x
    I hate glasses too. I'll attempt to give advice on contacts. I put mine right on the tip of my little finger (not moulded to my hand or that will FAIL). So it goes goes straight on my eye and I close my lid and it's on.

Took me six hours to get my contacts in the first time. Then another hour to get them out. Just couldn't get my head around the idea of putting something onto my eye, or putting my fingers onto the surface of it.

After that, it took about a week for it to feel totally normal and natural.

A little trick that helped me get used to it: once you've got the lens in, practice keeping your eye open and slowly touching the lens. You're touching the lens, not your eye, which makes the 'psychological' side of it a little easier. Worked for me, might work for you if you decide to try them again.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.