can you rate my answer about Utterson's representation in DR Jekyll and Mr HYde? Watch

annajpg
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
How is Utterson represented in the nove as a whole?

my answer:

Utterson is Jekyll's old friend and lawyer. He's calm and rational just like a lawyer should be. Like a scientist, his approach in life is to weigh up the evidence.
Utterson is a 'lover for the sane and customary sides of life', very much different from Dr Jekyll. He is strict on himself and doesn't go for frivolities.
He represents the ideal Victorian gentleman, in contrast to Jekylll's character, as he doesn't have the dual nature within himself.
He spends much of the novel trying to advise and help Jekyll which shows his tolerable nature towards others, this reflects extreme loyalty too.

Utterson also has a strong sense of honor, we see this when Laynon leaves a note to be read after Dr Jekyll's death or disappereance. Utterson is tempted to open and see if there is any useful information to help his friend, but yet his honor forces him to store the document away without reading it.

Furthermore, Utterson is linked to all major characters of the novel. He seems to only talk to upper-class peers. This might suggest he's only comfortable around his own friends and people he has known for a long time.
Also, servants seem to respect him, Poole Jekyll's butler, refers to him for important issues regarding his master, showing how reliable he is.

As previously mentioned, Utterson is considered very reliable among the other characters. This allows him to know about a lot of the events surrounding Jekyll, wether he's involved personally or not. This makes Utterson a good narrator of the novel asby writing it in his view it allows the reaader to have knowledge of the happening events - especially from a close point of view.
This allows Stevenson to build a sense of mystery, allows the reader to share the character's fear and confusion and see different people's reactions of Hyde.
Hiraeth.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey i'm doing Dr. Jekyll and Hyde too I find it hard but easier than Macbeth.

Anyways as for the answer

(Original post by annajpg)
How is Utterson represented in the nove as a whole?

my answer:

Utterson is Jekyll's old friend and lawyer. He's calm and rational just like a lawyer should be. Like a scientist, his approach in life is to weigh up the evidence.
Utterson is a 'lover for the sane and customary sides of life', very much different from Dr Jekyll. He is strict on himself and doesn't go for frivolities.
He represents the ideal Victorian gentleman, in contrast to Jekylll's character, as he doesn't have the dual nature within himself.
He spends much of the novel trying to advise and help Jekyll which shows his tolerable nature towards others, this reflects extreme loyalty too.
+In the first point, the first paragraph establishes an overall view, a line of argument if you will. So there's some brownie points.
+Embedded Quotes! Yeah boi
- What you could have done more is expand on your AO2 marks; this for language analysis and a large proportion of the mark is focused on this. Try listing connotations and explore them, what they suggest etc.
+ Having a wider view, referencing the text and other characters and drawing out comparisons

Utterson also has a strong sense of honor, we see this when Laynon leaves a note to be read after Dr Jekyll's death or disappereance. Utterson is tempted to open and see if there is any useful information to help his friend, but yet his honor forces him to store the document away without reading it.

Furthermore, Utterson is linked to all major characters of the novel. He seems to only talk to upper-class peers. This might suggest he's only comfortable around his own friends and people he has known for a long time.
Also, servants seem to respect him, Poole Jekyll's butler, refers to him for important issues regarding his master, showing how reliable he is.
- In the exam it specifically says to refer to the novel as whole which you have done, but in order to get into the level 4 band (which is the top marks to gain access to 8 and 9's) you must include quotations referencing this (specifically "judicious" quotes) in order to allow you to score AO2 and AO3 marks
+Another point, referring back to the line of argument, supporting it.
+Thoughtful ideas and suggestions (+AO2 marks). Expands on Ideas
^ (you mentioned Utterson only talks to high class, which is actually false because he talks to Poole, Hyde himself, Jekyll's maid or something)

As previously mentioned, Utterson is considered very reliable among the other characters. This allows him to know about a lot of the events surrounding Jekyll, wether he's involved personally or not. This makes Utterson a good narrator of the novel asby writing it in his view it allows the reaader to have knowledge of the happening events - especially from a close point of view.
This allows Stevenson to build a sense of mystery, allows the reader to share the character's fear and confusion and see different people's reactions of Hyde.
+This final paragraph again refers back to line of argument supporting it. You have referred back to line of argument and have supported it throughout answer so that's AO1 sorted.
+structural points (AO2)
+readers view

As a whole I think you answer will NOT get into level 4, but maybe mid or high band of level 3 (scoring you a 6 or 7-possibly 8 but we can't really know). This is because:
- no judicious quotations that refer to novel as a whole for points
-lack of top band language analysis. Always list connotations and explore them, examiners love that ****
- lack of readers feelings. Try to include both modern and Victorian readers
-lack of context. Context is super easy and is crucial to score AO3 marks. It's as easy as mentioning at the time, reputation was key which suggest why Utterson is loyal and defends his friends and is not to keen to create a scandal (refer to the part when "Henry Jekyll forge for a murder?!" when Mr. Guest analyses the letter after Sir Danvers Carews death). Obviously expand a bit more.
-lack of Stevenson points
-NO MENTION OF DUALITY : The entire Gothic novel is about duality. Always try to link it, you could link it through context; Victorian people, especially upper-classes pretended to be reputable but at night they would go shag prostitutes, you know bs a little.

Over all I'd say it's in mid-top band level 3, just about a Grade 7.
annajpg
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hiraeth.)
Hey i'm doing Dr. Jekyll and Hyde too I find it hard but easier than Macbeth.

Anyways as for the answer

+In the first point, the first paragraph establishes an overall view, a line of argument if you will. So there's some brownie points.
+Embedded Quotes! Yeah boi
- What you could have done more is expand on your AO2 marks; this for language analysis and a large proportion of the mark is focused on this. Try listing connotations and explore them, what they suggest etc.
+ Having a wider view, referencing the text and other characters and drawing out comparisons

- In the exam it specifically says to refer to the novel as whole which you have done, but in order to get into the level 4 band (which is the top marks to gain access to 8 and 9's) you must include quotations referencing this (specifically "judicious" quotes) in order to allow you to score AO2 and AO3 marks
+Another point, referring back to the line of argument, supporting it.
+Thoughtful ideas and suggestions (+AO2 marks). Expands on Ideas
^ (you mentioned Utterson only talks to high class, which is actually false because he talks to Poole, Hyde himself, Jekyll's maid or something)

+This final paragraph again refers back to line of argument supporting it. You have referred back to line of argument and have supported it throughout answer so that's AO1 sorted.
+structural points (AO2)
+readers view

As a whole I think you answer will NOT get into level 4, but maybe mid or high band of level 3 (scoring you a 6 or 7-possibly 8 but we can't really know). This is because:
- no judicious quotations that refer to novel as a whole for points
-lack of top band language analysis. Always list connotations and explore them, examiners love that ****
- lack of readers feelings. Try to include both modern and Victorian readers
-lack of context. Context is super easy and is crucial to score AO3 marks. It's as easy as mentioning at the time, reputation was key which suggest why Utterson is loyal and defends his friends and is not to keen to create a scandal (refer to the part when "Henry Jekyll forge for a murder?!" when Mr. Guest analyses the letter after Sir Danvers Carews death). Obviously expand a bit more.
-lack of Stevenson points
-NO MENTION OF DUALITY : The entire Gothic novel is about duality. Always try to link it, you could link it through context; Victorian people, especially upper-classes pretended to be reputable but at night they would go shag prostitutes, you know bs a little.

Over all I'd say it's in mid-top band level 3, just about a Grade 7.

WOW OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH your answer is great i cant believe it hahaha
Im basically taking gcses for uni because i already did my alevels but never done gcses in my life, long story.. anyway for my uni i need a C in all subjects, and i am self teaching, and a 7 is great to me as it is a bit more than a C (correct me if i am wrong please) haha

Also if i post more exam answers would you be up for helping me with those too? i understand if you say no is kinda long ..
Hiraeth.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by annajpg)
WOW OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH your answer is great i cant believe it hahaha
Im basically taking gcses for uni because i already did my alevels but never done gcses in my life, long story.. anyway for my uni i need a C in all subjects, and i am self teaching, and a 7 is great to me as it is a bit more than a C (correct me if i am wrong please) haha

Also if i post more exam answers would you be up for helping me with those too? i understand if you say no is kinda long ..
Chances are I won't be able to sorry; check with a teacher or something for a better answers. But no worries aha i'm currently going through the GCSE struggle as well :lol: :bawling: That's pretty cool though how you have already done your A-levels, i'm sure GCSE's will be super easy then
annajpg
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hiraeth.)
Chances are I won't be able to sorry; check with a teacher or something for a better answers. But no worries aha i'm currently going through the GCSE struggle as well :lol: :bawling: That's pretty cool though how you have already done your A-levels, i'm sure GCSE's will be super easy then
No problems I totally get it, unfortunately I don't have access to a teacher as I am over 18 and outside the uk but no problem I'll find a way

Hopefully they will be easier than Alevels!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (23)
67.65%
No I haven't decided yet (5)
14.71%
Yes but I might change my mind (6)
17.65%

Watched Threads