The Student Room Group

Getting into Law

I have decided to change career, aged 41 and would like to know the best way to get into Law. The research I have done says I would be best getting into legal administration/support or paralegal as an apprentice. Can anyone please tell me if this is right and which companies are most likely to offer positions to me, in the East Yorkshire area. Thanks
Original post by eastyorkslaw
I have decided to change career, aged 41 and would like to know the best way to get into Law. The research I have done says I would be best getting into legal administration/support or paralegal as an apprentice. Can anyone please tell me if this is right and which companies are most likely to offer positions to me, in the East Yorkshire area. Thanks

Hey Law is intensely competitive, so you need to have an idea of what you want and which level of the food chain you want to go into.
Para legals tend to already have Law degrees plus have the LPC exam, which is well on the way to becoming Lawyers.

You also dont mention what qualifications and experience you have?
Have a look at.
https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/job-profiles/legal-services

For E Yorks then you are looking at Law firms, local government and anyone involved in the justice system.
Reply 2
Original post by eastyorkslaw

Good afternoon,

I was in a similar position as you a couple of years ago.

I was a career changer at the age of 43 who had a couple of science degrees under my belt. I was looking for courses on the Graduate Level, which limited my choices, meaning I didn't want a senior status LLB but instead a MA in law or equivalent.

I ended by choosing the MA in Law at Bristol and absolutely loved it. That degree type/moniker is starting to become more recognised & prevalent now, but it was always well respected, and in no way did it hinder me.

I am now a practicing Barrister of 3 years call, with a burgeoning practice providing advice on both Criminal and Civil matters.

I say all of that to encourage you, we all have somewhere under the Legal Umbrella where we can fit in, and I urge you to not limit yourself... however as someone said in a previous post, it is a very competitive field.

However as a mature student/person you may and most likely do bring certain skills etc. that someone of a younger age has yet to acquire.

Its all about accentuating your positives and unique attributes; people may take a little while to catch on as you are not the "typical" applicant for [insert whatever role here], but its your obligation to engage and enlighten them.

If you have any questions feel free to drop a line.
Reply 3
This is a very bold decision - congrats!

I probably should not give too much advice because I am not from the same country but in most places law is indeed quite a intense occupation especially for the newbies.

Thus, have in mind that in the beginning you will have to do all the "dirty" tasks when you start working for a law firm, for example, and your competition might be 20 years younger.
Of course, with your past experience - you will bring a completely new angle for the discussion with your classmates and I am sure it will be appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending