The Student Room Group
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

No friends at uni :(

I feel really lonely. I literally have no friends. Uni was supposed to be a fresh start. I was supposed to reinvent myself but everything is a mess and I am still the same loser I’ve always been. I don’t have a social life I never go out so I should at least be good at my work but I’m not and I’ve never been more lost than I already am. The other girls in my cohort hate me and they exclude me from everything. They make me feel so stupid. I caught them *****ing about me. Everyone is apart of the placement group chat except myself. Nobody wants me around. No one wants to be friends with me. I tried putting myself out there but I’m quickly reminded of the loser that I am. I don’t want to force a friendship because that’s just weird being somewhere you’re clearly unwanted. I don’t want to drop out either. I don’t know what to do.

Advice?
Don’t say no one. Because there is someone. Maybe you missed out on people. Maybe outside uni. Go out and try start a convo with someone. You might for your perfect friendship group, but you need to put yourself out there. You don’t need to force it, just start and see what goes on from there. Good luck.
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
Reply 2
If you're at City University, there's quite a lot of societies you can join. Head over to the student union to get more information or you can view their website.
https://www.citystudents.co.uk/getinvolved/societies/
Hey don’t be sad . Although I am not in uni yet , I don’t mind being your friend ! 😉
However , I am starting to get rather nervous about uni life . I am from other country , and currently interested in joining U.K. unis in 2 years time . Hence most probably I will be like the only one in my school to go U.K. to study . And that being said , I would definitely have to make new friends , all on my own .
Original post by StudentRhodio
******** there is not a lot of societies to join unless you’re super into exploring different cultures or you’re already amazing at sports. Get yourself out of that hole that’s what I did and I’m so much happier now

what sort of clubs and societies did you join?
Original post by Nina’sworld54
I feel really lonely. I literally have no friends. Uni was supposed to be a fresh start. I was supposed to reinvent myself but everything is a mess and I am still the same loser I’ve always been. I don’t have a social life I never go out so I should at least be good at my work but I’m not and I’ve never been more lost than I already am. The other girls in my cohort hate me and they exclude me from everything. They make me feel so stupid. I caught them *****ing about me. Everyone is apart of the placement group chat except myself. Nobody wants me around. No one wants to be friends with me. I tried putting myself out there but I’m quickly reminded of the loser that I am. I don’t want to force a friendship because that’s just weird being somewhere you’re clearly unwanted. I don’t want to drop out either. I don’t know what to do.

Advice?

I feel ya, trust me University is pretty isolating for me at the moment too. You're not a loser though :smile: I think you're stressing yourself out over what people may or may not be saying about you. If they are they're not worth your time anyway. I've just finished applying for volunteering placements and I think I'm going to try Jiu Jitsu on Thursday which if you knew me is something I've literally never even considered doing before. Just got to put yourself out there :h: I completely understand how you feel though, my advice sounds generic and I make it sound way too easy.
Original post by briefcase
what sort of clubs and societies did you join?

Hi there, I joined the only one that was related to my course, and I attempted to join a few of the sports because I wanted to get into it and meet people but it appeared that you already had to be fairly decent at that sport for them to allow you to join. Others had the same experience, one of my friends said during tennis try outs you would just get tapped on the shoulder if you weren’t good enough. I wasn’t there so I don’t know if that’s true but I found it hard to get involved in the sports personally. There didn’t seem to be any non-competitive memberships but I may be wrong.
Original post by StudentRhodio
Hi there, I joined the only one that was related to my course, and I attempted to join a few of the sports because I wanted to get into it and meet people but it appeared that you already had to be fairly decent at that sport for them to allow you to join. Others had the same experience, one of my friends said during tennis try outs you would just get tapped on the shoulder if you weren’t good enough. I wasn’t there so I don’t know if that’s true but I found it hard to get involved in the sports personally. There didn’t seem to be any non-competitive memberships but I may be wrong.

oh, thats a shame, the thing is uni sport pages nearly always say we accept beginner to competitive people. I'm considering rugby but I've never played it before simply because it's not local, never done it at school

I thing with sports it may be that you just have to be physically fit, like no matter what sport I joined if I couldn't run 5 minutes without bending over with stitches then chances are im not the ideal sports member. so as long as over the summer I work on stamina and go back to the gym I think i may be ok depending on the sport because if you think about, theres going to be people who are a part of a sports team at uni who have never played that sport before but good enough to stay on the team. In terms of tennis im naturally not very good i just miss the ball, may be my hand-eye coordination but with say netball or basketball or barbell i can do that its a bit more up my street. thing is you cant join too many clubs otherwise thats too much so i have NO idea what imma do at uni

but anyway I think sports is the best way to get friends and put yourself out there, Im not at uni but at school theres a pattern, those who join sports clubs and have been a part of a sports team competitively since year 7 are commonly more 'popular' if you will and a lot more social and find friends easily, but even if you don't do sports you still find friends just different interests

Advice?

This kind of thing is probs why no one wants to be friends with you...
Reply 9

Advice?

conordoherty15

Advice?

have you tried joining any clubs or after uni activities? You might want to try something out of your comfort zone maybe? How about a drama club you dont have to act and just help in the back ground? Is there any volunteer days or volunteer working still good to meet up with people? I was a bit shy myself but tried all sorts of activities and met some great people. How about doing some paid work the uni club bar is always a good place to get to know people?
What university do you go to perhaps if you state the degree you are studying for or university then perhaps other students from the same university might contact you .

Quick Reply