The Student Room Group

A level and offers

Hi, I was wondering since that most universities make offers to students with at least 3 A levels e.g. A*AA. What if I do four A levels and got A*A*A*B? How bad is the B
Original post by JackFu
Hi, I was wondering since that most universities make offers to students with at least 3 A levels e.g. A*AA. What if I do four A levels and got A*A*A*B? How bad is the B

Unless your B is in a subject where they have specified an A your B is irrelevant.
Reply 2
Original post by gdunne42
Unless your B is in a subject where they have specified an A your B is irrelevant.

I am doing Chinese, Economics,Maths and Spanish. I am predicted a B for Spanish and I want to do Economics for university degree so the B in Spanish for Oxbridge doesn't matter then?
Original post by JackFu
I am doing Chinese, Economics,Maths and Spanish. I am predicted a B for Spanish and I want to do Economics for university degree so the B in Spanish for Oxbridge doesn't matter then?

I think Oxford will care, but Cambridge might not.
Reply 4
Original post by Jang Gwangnam
I think Oxford will care, but Cambridge might not.

Thanks, but do you have any evidence or is it just a guess.
Original post by JackFu

if you sere to get the grades stated you would be fine. However if you got say AABB you would have failed to meet your offecr and could possibly be rejected. It is for this reason people suggest only doing 3 a levels and not spreading your time over 4. This applies to all universities not just Oxbridge.
Original post by JackFu
Thanks, but do you have any evidence or is it just a guess.

I just know from all those that have previously applied to Oxford and Cambridge on TSR - and failed. Apparently Oxford is lot stricter than Cambridge when it comes to grades, then again; i could be wrong ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reply 7
Original post by swanseajack1
if you sere to get the grades stated you would be fine. However if you got say AABB you would have failed to meet your offecr and could possibly be rejected. It is for this reason people suggest only doing 3 a levels and not spreading your time over 4. This applies to all universities not just Oxbridge.

Thanks a lot

i
Original post by JackFu

There is a difference in applying with predictions that they don't like the look of and that make your application look less competitive and actually achieving those grades on results day. If you meet the A*A*A conditions of your offer on results day you are in. It could be an issue if you are Chinese doing Chinese A level as some universities discount language A levels in your own language. It would be an issue If your B prediction was in maths or economics. If there are other weaknesses in your application a B prediction in a 4th subject might tip the balance against you receiving an offer but so many other factors will be more important in their decision (performance at interview, results of admissions tests if used). You can always contact the universities you want to apply to and ask them for their opinion for the specific course you have in mind.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by gdunne42
There is a difference in applying with predictions that they don't like the look of and that make your application look less competitive and actually achieving those grades on results day. If you meet the A*A*A conditions of your offer on results day you are in. It could be an issue if you are Chinese doing Chinese A level as some universities discount language A levels in your own language. It would be an issue If your B prediction was in maths or economics. If there are other weaknesses in your application a B prediction in a 4th subject might tip the balance against you receiving an offer but so many other factors will be more important in their decision (performance at interview, results of admissions tests if used). You can always contact the universities you want to apply to and ask them for their opinion for the specific course you have in mind.

Thanks for this, it is really helpful. My B is Spanish and it does not really have any connections with Economics.

Quick Reply