M. I.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hiya, I'm studying for an upcoming trig examn and im a bit stuck on one of the example problems, could anyone maybe walk me through it. Thank you

The height of tide at the entrance to a harbour on a particular day can be modelled by the function h=3+2sin30t+1.5cos30t, where h is measured in meters, t in hours after midnight and 30t is in degrees.
(The values 2 and 1.5 represent the relative effects of the moon and sun respectively)

I. Show that 2sin30t+1.5cos30t can be written in the form 2.5sin(30t+a), where a is to be determined.
Ii. Find the height of tide at high water and the first time this occurs after midnight.
Iii. Find the range of the tide during the day.
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by M. I.)
Hiya, I'm studying for an upcoming trig examn and im a bit stuck on one of the example problems, could anyone maybe walk me through it. Thank you

The height of tide at the entrance to a harbour on a particular day can be modelled by the function h=3+2sin30t+1.5cos30t, where h is measured in meters, t in hours after midnight and 30t is in degrees.
(The values 2 and 1.5 represent the relative effects of the moon and sun respectively)

I. Show that 2sin30t+1.5cos30t can be written in the form 2.5sin(30t+a), where a is to be determined.
Ii. Find the height of tide at high water and the first time this occurs after midnight.
Iii. Find the range of the tide during the day.
What's confusing, exactly?
M. I.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by RDKGames)
What's confusing, exactly?
See I think its because of how the answer has to be structured, like the first part I feel pretty ok with but part ii and iii are what have me confused on where to begin and what to do from there.
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by M. I.)
See I think its because of how the answer has to be structured, like the first part I feel pretty ok with but part ii and iii are what have me confused on where to begin and what to do from there.
For (ii) I can only assume they want to figure out the first instance when the tides are at their highest point. So, use your answer to part (ii) to first figure out what the greatest height if a tide can be and under what condition on \sin(30t+a) this occurs. Use the condition to determine the smallest value of t \geq 0 for which the condition is satisfied.

(iii) is simply looking for how spread apart the greatest and least possible heights of the tides are.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (72)
15.42%
Uncertainty around my education (79)
16.92%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (42)
8.99%
Isolating with family (28)
6%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (19)
4.07%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (38)
8.14%
Loneliness (46)
9.85%
Financial worries (16)
3.43%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (46)
9.85%
Exposure to negative news/social media (33)
7.07%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (48)
10.28%

Watched Threads