The Student Room Group

I want to stop wearing the hijab

I want to take my hijab off but how do I tell my mother who is complete against this
I guess it’s up to you
Where you forced to where it?? If so say you felt pressured into wearing it. That you don’t believe wearing a headscarf is about the actual wearing of it, but also the belief and want in wearing it. That you don’t feel like your self when you wear it and that you believe you want to work on making yourself a better person and your religion better before wearing it.
Honestly, that conversation is going to be so hard. Good luck x.
tell her your pregnant. then when she finds out you're not the shock of wanting to stop wearing a hijab won't be as great to her.
Original post by alice0ela
tell her your pregnant. then when she finds out you're not the shock of wanting to stop wearing a hijab won't be as great to her.

:rofl:

I don't have any advice, and the one advice I do have, doubt you want to hear it.
Reply 4
Tell her that it's your choice. I assume that you're british, if so then she can't really do anything to restrict your choice of clothing.
mashallah sister
Original post by alice0ela

I really shouldn’t have laughed at that.
Reply 8
Strong first post.
It is your personal choice whether you want to or you don’t want to there is no wrong choice
Original post by Plantagenet Crown

3rd time lucky :tongue:
You need to explain to your mother, that although Hijab is Fardh(compulsory), there are many other ways in how you can wear the Hijab, which helps preserve modesty, e.g. through your actions, behaviour and the way you dress.

The hijab shouldn’t be forced upon you.

If you don’t want to wear it, then don’t. If you do intend on taking it off, do research beforehand on the hijab and it’s importance and maybe that will increase your understanding and respect for it.

- there’s not much to tell your mum either, just take the cloth off your head and tell her, I’m not ready for it.
Original post by Confusedsoul13
I want to take my hijab off but how do I tell my mother who is complete against this

I use to wear a hijab, I wore it, at first out of choice. Then when I got to around year 11 typically, I became very conscious with the way I looked, but my parents were so proud that I had worn it for so long, that I didn't want to disappoint them. my mum is white muslim , but I can without a doubt, say she is more religious than my Pakistani/Syrian dad, I just told them, that I felt incredibly uncomfortable and needed a break, I live in Bradford, so many girls in my school wore it, and my parents knew that wearing a hijab, is not always worn the way it should, I was wearing it for the sake of it, and not because of pure intentions that I had in the beginning, I do want to start wearing it again but maybe when I start uni
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by anonymousxo98
You need to explain to your mother, that although Hijab is Fardh(compulsory), there are many other ways in how you can wear the Hijab, which helps preserve modesty, e.g. through your actions, behaviour and the way you dress.

The hijab shouldn’t be forced upon you.

If you don’t want to wear it, then don’t. If you do intend on taking it off, do research beforehand on the hijab and it’s importance and maybe that will increase your understanding and respect for it.

- there’s not much to tell your mum either, just take the cloth off your head and tell her, I’m not ready for it.

one thing parents are universally good at is having things explained to them by their child..

Quick Reply

Latest