The Student Room Group

UCL vs St Andrews vs Bristol?

Hi
I have offers for Classics from all of the above and just can't decide at all.
I really loved the college, the department and the course at St Andrews and it scores highest in all the tables, but I worry that the town is so small and might be claustrophobic.
I loved UCL, the course and the department and living in London has lots of attractions in terms of being at the heart of things but the accommodation looks awful and only gets worse after year 1.
Bristol is my least favourite in terms of department and course although I love the town and everyone keeps saying "surely you aren't going to turn Bristol down"? and it's made me wonder.

Any thoughts???

Scroll to see replies

I'D GO FOR ucl PERSONALLY
I'd cross Bristol off the list. From your post it sounds as if you don't really want to go there.
Reply 3
hermaphrodite

:ditto:
Reply 4
Ucl
Reply 5
UCL would be a good choice. Ramsey Hall isnt bad at all, its extremely central (Maple Street), although i can agree with you that if you havent got a few quid that you ll be living in a bit of a ****hole in your second year. But hey, thats uni for ya. St andrews is great aswell, I wouldnt let the size of the town get you down at all, dundee, edinburgh are only a short distance away, plus as far as Ive heard St andrews has a great nightlife anyway.
Reply 6
Frater
UCL would be a good choice. Ramsey Hall isnt bad at all, its extremely central (Maple Street), although i can agree with you that if you havent got a few quid that you ll be living in a bit of a ****hole in your second year. But hey, thats uni for ya. St andrews is great aswell, I wouldnt let the size of the town get you down at all, dundee, edinburgh are only a short distance away, plus as far as Ive heard St andrews has a great nightlife anyway.

Funny...I've heard completely the opposite from many people.
Reply 7
I think thats something that varies person to person. Its what you make of it.
I'd be one to say "Surely you wouldn't turn Bristol down!" but that's only because I'm extremely biased.

In this case, I'd got for UCL.
Reply 9
EvenStevens
I'd be one to say "Surely you wouldn't turn Bristol down!" but that's only because I'm extremely biased.

In this case, I'd got for UCL.

Thanks for your thoughts. I should have asked this but why would you pick the one you have suggested ie if you are saying UCL, why?
Well, judging by your original post, you didn't quite like Bristol compared to St.Andrews or UCL. So you can cross that off.

In my mind, I rate UCL above St.Andrews, though they're both brilliant universities.

Just depends if you prefer Scotland or London.
Reply 11
Depends what sort of 'nightlife' you prefer I guess, if you're like me and like pubs but not nightclubs, St Andrews would be great.

Personally I would go for St Andrews.
Reply 12
I don't think you should worry about turning Bristol down, they are all top unis. Pick on where you most want to spend 3/4 years of your life. Personally I love living in London, wouldn't want to luve anywhere else but it does have its drawbacks like the cost!
Reply 13
I think that alot of peoples views here are biased, mine are certainly for UCL, but as typical as it may be to say, go with what you think would be best.
Reply 14
UCL i would say. St Andrews seems so quiet , i got bored spending an afternoon there, never mind four years. Allthough the accomodation at UCL may not be the best surely living in london makes up for this?
Reply 15
UCL, the accommodation on offer can be really good and you can find some great places for subsequent years, like.
I was to choosing between St Andrews and UCL just recently for my masters course, and I picked UCL. St Andrews is great, I absolutely adore the town and the university and personally I would love to go there, but London and UCL just has far, far more to offer and I couldn't pass that up.
hermaphrodite

Caps lock? Tsk.
Heehee, I had to choose between exactly the same three universities! And I went for St Andrews, purely because I wanted a bit of a change from London, but it's totally up to you to decide where you'd be happier living. I don't think there's a problem with claustrophobia as it's so near to Dundee and Edinburgh etc. if you need the city lifestyle... but then again, London has tons of opportunities to offer too I guess... nothing to choose between them really except personal preference!
Reply 19
st andrews is about an hour from Edinburgh by train and about half an hour (i think) from Dundee and everyone does that. which means you can get away from the hustle and bustle of the major towns which is obviously good for exam time ie lack of distraction but lots of people available ie students to hang out with when you are bored. also there are lots of things going on in st andrews. and it's so bloody beautiful.

Latest

Trending

Trending