The Student Room Group

Alevel choices

(edited 5 years ago)
If you don't enjoy it, don't take it. There are other subjects that compliment these subjects such as psychology, geography or physics. You could also check out the other facilitating subjects as even though some aren't particularly related they're still regarded highly by universites. Hope this helped :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by notnearfunkytown
If you don't enjoy it, don't take it. There are other subjects that compliment these subjects such as psychology, geography or physics. You could also check out the other facilitating subjects as even though some aren't particularly related they're still regarded highly by universites. Hope this helped :smile:

Thank you
hi, don't take maths if you don't enjoy it. Don't take any subject if you don't enjoy it.

What subjects do you like besides biology and chemistry ?? Your main goal should be to do well in your third a-level and secure an A, so the best way to do that is by choosing something that you find interesting and are therefore able to focus on.
I know quite a lot of people who want to study medicine, and they have a wide variety of third a levels (other than maths). Some include French, Psychology, Philosophy and Ethics (I take this), English lit, Economics etc etc. It's pretty much up to you!

If you are at all thinking about philosophy and ethics/ RS, then I would recommend it- it's a nice change from the sciences and the way I have learnt to write answers, especially to do with ethics, in a certain structure will definitely help me at medicine interviews. And I think maths doesn't massively help with chemistry, as chemistry is often to do with a specific kind of maths/ problem solving that isn't as complex as a-level maths- I am managing very well in chemistry without maths.

Best of luck.
Reply 4
Original post by gomgossa
hi, don't take maths if you don't enjoy it. Don't take any subject if you don't enjoy it.

What subjects do you like besides biology and chemistry ?? Your main goal should be to do well in your third a-level and secure an A, so the best way to do that is by choosing something that you find interesting and are therefore able to focus on.
I know quite a lot of people who want to study medicine, and they have a wide variety of third a levels (other than maths). Some include French, Psychology, Philosophy and Ethics (I take this), English lit, Economics etc etc. It's pretty much up to you!

If you are at all thinking about philosophy and ethics/ RS, then I would recommend it- it's a nice change from the sciences and the way I have learnt to write answers, especially to do with ethics, in a certain structure will definitely help me at medicine interviews. And I think maths doesn't massively help with chemistry, as chemistry is often to do with a specific kind of maths/ problem solving that isn't as complex as a-level maths- I am managing very well in chemistry without maths.

Best of luck.

I was thinking about doing economics or RS, thank you for your help.
Reply 5
Maths generally is not required for medicine. If you don't enjoy it, you would end up finding A-level maths pretty miserable. Chemistry and biology will be enough. Some universities want you to have a 3rd science subject, some don't. For Imperial, at least, it's AAA with chem and bio and anything else apart from general studies and critical thinking.
Reply 6
Original post by Sinnoh
Maths generally is not required for medicine. If you don't enjoy it, you would end up finding A-level maths pretty miserable. Chemistry and biology will be enough. Some universities want you to have a 3rd science subject, some don't. For Imperial, at least, it's AAA with chem and bio and anything else apart from general studies and critical thinking.

Thank you. Which universities require a third science subject?
Reply 7
Original post by CocoPops...
Thank you. Which universities require a third science subject?

Depends on the uni. Check their course pages on their website.
I am currently in Year 11 studying for my gcses.
I really want to study medicine in the future and I know many universities require at least 2 Sciences.
So my Alevel choices are Biology, chemistry and maths.
However, I am now regretting my choice of picking maths because I just don't enjoy the subject anymore. It is not that it is that hard because I do get grade 7s and 8s in my mocks but I don't enjoy the subject anymore, and if you don't enjoy a subject, especially in Alevels (and the new spec), you usually don't get a good grade.
So my questions are: Should I keep maths as it will compliment my other subjects or shall I choose a different subject, and if so which ones do you recommend?

Honestly, the new spec maths is easy, and I'm going for Medicine too.

But if you don't like it, pick a subject like psycology or something with not much demand (as chemistry is heavy, and so is biology)
Reply 9

Yes yes my brodda, i recommend a level media,drama and film studies, the best alevels around
Original post by Hal_01
Yes yes my brodda, i recommend a level media,drama and film studies, the best alevels around

my bro, i was thinking of doing btec hair and beauty level 2. What you think
Reply 11
my bro, i was thinking of doing btec hair and beauty level 2. What you think

Thats good bro,following the right footsteps.you shuld consider btec lvl 1 barbering
Original post by Hal_01
Thats good bro,following the right footsteps.you shuld consider btec lvl 1 barbering

Too hard. C tech?
Reply 13
Too hard. C tech?

Perfect bro!, u are a millionaire in the making.
Original post by Hal_01
Perfect bro!, u are a millionaire in the making.

My brother, how is btec dentistry going.
Reply 15
My brother, how is btec dentistry going.

Ctec bro, might change to btec medicine
Original post by Hal_01
Ctec bro, might change to btec medicine

Life is boring, you need a chinese takeaway? I got the best place to go, https://www.google.co.uk/maps?q=gay+village&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjR0prb1dPaAhXFKcAKHezHBOwQ_AUICigB
Reply 17
Life is boring, you need a chinese takeaway? I got the best place to go, https://www.google.co.uk/maps?q=gay+village&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjR0prb1dPaAhXFKcAKHezHBOwQ_AUICigB

Lol i didnt even click but im guessing gay village?
Original post by Hal_01
Lol i didnt even click but im guessing gay village?

obviously lool

Quick Reply