Wooord
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
First of all, for some reason I can't turn the caps lock off for the title.....
But I want to know people's experiences in doing a psychology and criminology degree ?
I'm currently studying English literature, biology and Philosophy and ethics at A level, do you think these subjects would be useful ? I live in Bradford so that's the ideal university, if not then Huddersfield. Also I would like to know how much work there would be ? I know it's a lot and different people deal with it differently but I would like to know different perspectives...
Thank You !!!
daniel_floyd_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well, I didn't major in Psychology but rather did a minor. However, I've been alongside many students whose did Psychology as a mijor (obviously).
First of all, very interesting degree. Quite relatable too. I did a couple courses extra in Psychology after I completed my minor requiremens because I loved it soo much. There's alot of reading involved obviously. You'd be introduced to manyyy theories and theorists who you might be required to remember and quote/cite in other courses, etc. You'd also be required to conduct a research project (like a thesis or dissertation at the undergrad level) which is an important part of the degree itself.

As for the subjects you're currently doing, I'm not sure if would be a requirement for you to get into the programme because where I live, my university only required me to do an introductory course to satisfy my requirements into the field.
R_Heap99
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

I’m currently doing a Psychology degree at the University of Huddersfield and I’ve really enjoyed it so far. There is a lot of reading as well as getting to grips with different models and concepts, but what University degree doesn’t include a bit of reading? I think you’ll pretty much find that whichever degree you do it’s all about how much effort you want to put into it. Obviously the lecturers give you guidelines on what to read but it’s really down to how much/how little you want to read. Although competitive, it is a really contemporary subject and psychologists are desperately needed, especially in clinical psychology and mental health for example. The degree and the University itself have given me much more confidence and it is really useful having some knowledge on other subjects. My first year included biological psychology, so doing biology at A level really helped me. And whilst learning the history of psychology, most psychologists started off as philosophers also, so it is definitely worth pursuing if you feel it’s right for you.
Wooord
Rep:
?
(Original post by R_Heap99)
I’m currently doing a Psychology degree at the University of Huddersfield and I’ve really enjoyed it so far. There is a lot of reading as well as getting to grips with different models and concepts, but what University degree doesn’t include a bit of reading? I think you’ll pretty much find that whichever degree you do it’s all about how much effort you want to put into it. Obviously the lecturers give you guidelines on what to read but it’s really down to how much/how little you want to read. Although competitive, it is a really contemporary subject and psychologists are desperately needed, especially in clinical psychology and mental health for example. The degree and the University itself have given me much more confidence and it is really useful having some knowledge on other subjects. My first year included biological psychology, so doing biology at A level really helped me. And whilst learning the history of psychology, most psychologists started off as philosophers also, so it is definitely worth pursuing if you feel it’s right for you.
Huddersfield is definitely an option for me. And yes I understand that what ever course I do a lot of reading around the subject would be required, but since I'm not currently doing psychology at A-level, do you think it would have a negative impact ? The main reason I didn't choose it for A level is because I didn't know I wanted to pursue a career in it, only a few months ago i had absolutely no idea what I was going to do in the future. So do you think I should try to get a head start ? Considering I don't have AS levels this year, I have some extra time, and if so where should I start ? And thank you !
Wooord
Rep:
?
(Original post by daniel_floyd_)
Well, I didn't major in Psychology but rather did a minor. However, I've been alongside many students whose did Psychology as a mijor (obviously).
First of all, very interesting degree. Quite relatable too. I did a couple courses extra in Psychology after I completed my minor requiremens because I loved it soo much. There's alot of reading involved obviously. You'd be introduced to manyyy theories and theorists who you might be required to remember and quote/cite in other courses, etc. You'd also be required to conduct a research project (like a thesis or dissertation at the undergrad level) which is an important part of the degree itself.

As for the subjects you're currently doing, I'm not sure if would be a requirement for you to get into the programme because where I live, my university only required me to do an introductory course to satisfy my requirements into the field.
Thank you ! Actually I have looked Into the requirements for the universities I'm interested in, and they say anything about having to do any specific a-level as long as I achieve BBB in the courses I'm doing. However I have heard that a lot of maths is involved when manipulating data ? Maths isn't my strong point but it is involved in Biology which I am currently doing, so I can get my head around it after a bit, but I wanted to know how much maths is involved I know it's hard to say, as it differs, but does it take up a lot of the course ?
UniofReadingPG
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ikhan1)
First of all, for some reason I can't turn the caps lock off for the title.....
But I want to know people's experiences in doing a psychology and criminology degree ?
I'm currently studying English literature, biology and Philosophy and ethics at A level, do you think these subjects would be useful ? I live in Bradford so that's the ideal university, if not then Huddersfield. Also I would like to know how much work there would be ? I know it's a lot and different people deal with it differently but I would like to know different perspectives...
Thank You !!!
Hi!

I don’t study at Bradford or Huddersfield, but I did study psychology as my undergraduate degree. I found it really interesting! As others have said, there is a lot of reading, but I didn’t find it was much more than any of my friends on other courses. Having studied English literature at A level may help you as you’ll be used to essay writing and reading, I found it helped me!

I think looking into the differences between both universities would be a very helpful way to help you decide!

Ruth
Psychology masters student/student ambassador
Wooord
Rep:
?
(Original post by UniofReadingPG)
Hi!

I don’t study at Bradford or Huddersfield, but I did study psychology as my undergraduate degree. I found it really interesting! As others have said, there is a lot of reading, but I didn’t find it was much more than any of my friends on other courses. Having studied English literature at A level may help you as you’ll be used to essay writing and reading, I found it helped me!

I think looking into the differences between both universities would be a very helpful way to help you decide!

Ruth
Psychology masters student/student ambassador
Hi Ruth, thanks for your help ! I have been looking in to the difference between the two universities, and on the huddersfield website there are a few different courses, for example : criminology and psychology, there's also sociology and psychology do you know weather these two courses would have modules within them that cover the others "main" topic ? For example if I took criminology and psychology, would sociology also come into it, but not as much ? Hope that makes sense, thanks !
daniel_floyd_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ikhan1)
Thank you ! Actually I have looked Into the requirements for the universities I'm interested in, and they say anything about having to do any specific a-level as long as I achieve BBB in the courses I'm doing. However I have heard that a lot of maths is involved when manipulating data ? Maths isn't my strong point but it is involved in Biology which I am currently doing, so I can get my head around it after a bit, but I wanted to know how much maths is involved I know it's hard to say, as it differs, but does it take up a lot of the course ?
I think the math comes in those statistical methods and behavioural stats courses. I haven't done any of those. I had to option to choose 3 modules for this minor and I skipped over those stats courses - not just because I didn't wanna do the math, but because there were more interesting modules (like Developmental and Abnormal Psyc). I don't believe there are many courses in a psyc degree that would require math. A few, but not alot.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's more statistics than pure maths so you should be okay if you don't do Maths A Level

You also don't necessarily need an A Level in Psychology to study it at university - a friend of mine got in without it
R_Heap99
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
[QUOTE=Ikhan1;77233064]Huddersfield is definitely an option for me. And yes I understand that what ever course I do a lot of reading around the subject would be required, but since I'm not currently doing psychology at A-level, do you think it would have a negative impact ? The main reason I didn't choose it for A level is because I didn't know I wanted to pursue a career in it, only a few months ago i had absolutely no idea what I was going to do in the future. So do you think I should try to get a head start ? Considering I don't have AS levels this year, I have some extra time, and if so where should I start ? And thank you ![/QUOTE

No problem! I don't think it would have a negative impact because the subjects you are taking now do seem to overlap with some Psychology content. If you really feel this is the right path for you then looking further into it is definitely a step in the right direction. You could try some reading around the topics you are most interested in and watching videos on Youtube, I tend to use videos by CrashCourse to help me. The first year topics I have studied at the University of Huddersfield are; Child Development, Quantitative and Qualitative Research Methods, Contemporary Issues, Personality and Social Psychology, Cognitive and Biological Psychology just to give you an idea. There are also other options such as Psychology with Criminology or Psychology with Counselling if you decide not to do just a straight Psychology degree. I don't think you need to worry too much as lots of people from different backgrounds who choose to do a Psychology degree with no previous experience still do very well
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (29)
43.94%
Take autumn exams (23)
34.85%
Look for a job (1)
1.52%
Consider an apprenticeship (2)
3.03%
Take a year out (8)
12.12%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
4.55%

Watched Threads