maggieaggie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey guys, the UCAS choice deadline is fast approaching and I'm still stuck between whether I should firm the University of Edinburgh or St. Andrews for a bachelors in Computer Science. I have conditionals from both (applying in S5) and they're both doable.

St. Andrews seems to have a better UK reputation and a much higher average graduate salary than Edinburgh (£42k vs £29k!!!!), but I'm worried about the nightlife and living in such a small town, as I am from Glasgow and am used to the city life. I love the city of Edinburgh but I worry about my graduate prospects as the department reputation seems not as good as St Andrews, ranking consistently lower in recent UK based league tables. I have visited both places on visiting days and they're both lovely, the courses seem quite similar.

Any opinions/tips would be SO helpful!!!!
username738914
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by maggieaggie)
Hey guys, the UCAS choice deadline is fast approaching and I'm still stuck between whether I should firm the University of Edinburgh or St. Andrews for a bachelors in Computer Science. I have conditionals from both (applying in S5) and they're both doable.

St. Andrews seems to have a better UK reputation and a much higher average graduate salary than Edinburgh (£42k vs £29k!!!!), but I'm worried about the nightlife and living in such a small town, as I am from Glasgow and am used to the city life. I love the city of Edinburgh but I worry about my graduate prospects as the department reputation seems not as good as St Andrews, ranking consistently lower in recent UK based league tables. I have visited both places on visiting days and they're both lovely, the courses seem quite similar.

Can't go wrong, seriously. Choose the environment you'd prefer to be in and the one with the courses/modules that most interest you.

The grad salary thing is pointless, you'll get paid according to which company you end up at.

Posted from TSR Mobile
maggieaggie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Princepieman)
Can't go wrong, seriously. Choose the environment you'd prefer to be in and the one with the courses/modules that most interest you.

The grad salary thing is pointless, you'll get paid according to which company you end up at.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you so much for your reply!!! Does anybody have any first hand experience at any of these unis and tell me what it's like????? Can be specifically in computer science but student life in general would also be helpful.
e^iπ
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you so much for your reply!!! Does anybody have any first hand experience at any of these unis and tell me what it's like????? Can be specifically in computer science but student life in general would also be helpful.
I chose Edinburgh
maggieaggie
Rep:
?
(Original post by e^iπ)
I chose Edinburgh
Really??? What were your reasons, if you don't mind me asking??? I'm still so unsure hahahahaha
e^iπ
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Really??? What were your reasons, if you don't mind me asking??? I'm still so unsure hahahahaha
The course at Edinburgh is more mathematical and rigourius in nature, while the course at St Andrews is more teaching programming languages.

Edinburgh also has a strong research output however I've hear that sometimes the teaching isn't up to standard for some of the modules offered there. I've heard from people who go to St A that the teaching there is very good and a lot more resources are piled into the undergraduate body.

In terms of nightlife you are right in saying at Andrews is a bit meh as you have to take the bus to Dundee while Edinburgh is bustling with clubs pubs and other things. But one gripe I have with Edinburgh is that it is simply too large. around 35000 students compared to 11000 at St A.

I do reckon the social life is good at St Andrews as well in a different sort of way but I must urge you to make your choice based on not social life but course content, Edinburgh for more theoretical St A for more programming and coding
Harry_potter180
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago

Two years later, I'm stuck in the same dilemma😓 ... Please do let me know where did you finally decide to go to?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (421)
56.66%
I don't have everything I need (322)
43.34%

Watched Threads