The Student Room Group

Why is it okay for some LGBT people to hate on religion but not the other way round?

Firstly, I'm not saying all LGBT people hate on religion, I've some LGBT friends who respect religion even though they may not agree with it.

But I've often heard LGBT people talk down about religion and being down right disrespectful towards it because most don't allow same sex relationships. I've also heard religious people talk down about the LGBT community and be down right disrespectful towards them because they don't agree with same sex relationships.

Both points above are wrong. But when a religious person talks down to the LGBT community they get shunned but when an LGBT person talks down about religion nothing gets said and sometimes they even get cheered for.

Why?

Scroll to see replies

Right, I begin by clearly stating that this isn't my personal view.

I suspect many LGBT people feel justified in disliking religion as they perceive it to be a lot more harmless than an organisation that denies them their human rights and, in some cases, attempts to force laws within secular societies to reinforce their beliefs. If an LGBT person hates religion, they may verbally criticise it but are unlikely to go any further whereas strongly religious groups have systematically attempted to restrict the lives of LGBT people
Reply 2
To be lesbian, gay, bi or trans is not a choice. Following a religion is something people choose and unfortunately that often involves intolerance and condemnation of the lifestyle of others.
Reply 3
It could be that British society is becoming more secular than many decades ago, and criticism of religion is social acceptable as people aren't as religious, but the criticism of LGBT has become less acceptable: it has become stigmatized by people often labelling it all as homo/transphobic (which I don't agree with that blanket statement). And reasons why religions forbid homosexual relationships are quite illogical and weak, as I expect from those doctines. I guess it depends on what concept of LGBT the religious person is arguing against.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Cod3tte
Firstly, I'm not saying all LGBT people hate on religion, I've some LGBT friends who respect religion even though they may not agree with it.

But I've often heard LGBT people talk down about religion and being down right disrespectful towards it because most don't allow same sex relationships. I've also heard religious people talk down about the LGBT community and be down right disrespectful towards them because they don't agree with same sex relationships.

Both points above are wrong. But when a religious person talks down to the LGBT community they get shunned but when an LGBT person talks down about religion nothing gets said and sometimes they even get cheered for.

Why?

Because being non-straight (I genuinely will not list out everything) is not something by choice.

Following a religion is choice.

See the difference?
Reply 5
For an LGBT person to be angry with a religion that may preach against that LGBT person's right to marry or to even live a normal life seems ok in my opinion. It's when that person is hateful towards people for being relgious just because of those teachings is when it's wrong in my eyes.
But if a person is religous and is disrepectful to an LGBT person because they are LGBT, that hate would presumably come first and that's why they get shunned. but also theres another side of non-religious people being hateful and religious people being part of the LGBT community, so it's not just a blakc and white story of these two groups hating one another but one is seen as right and the other wrong. There are also lots of grey areas.
Reply 6
Religion is known for encouraging discrimination and violence against LGBT people - isolation, being looked down upon, rejection, disowning, torturing and the death penalty. LGBT people are harmless in their protest against religion, they still allow others to practice it and don't encourage discrimination or violence against them.

Because of the history religion has against LGBT people, it's a lot more offensive for someone religious to hate on a LGBT person than vice versa because the religious person is seen as being associated with or endorsing its known links to previous and current discrimination and violence, where as an LGBT person will be seen as fighting for their freedom - and to be fair, that is all they are doing
LGBT people don't quite have the same history of murdering, imprisoning, abusing, disowning, marginalising, or humiliating religious people.
what's not to hate about religion? it's toxic and indoctrinates people

it's posts like these which aim to place religion as the victim when the LGBT community is already vulnerable
Religion is a choice and some organised religious sects actively demand you and their millions of followers to discrimate and preach hatred. Sexuality is not a choice and does not demand you mistreat anyone unequally.

In a Democracy like the UK, criticising one's opinions and choices (religious and non religious) should be open to ridicule and even dislike otherwise we run the risk of people becoming fundamentalist, ignorant and extremist.
maybe because religious nuts in the past and in some places even today are killing gays because their stupid books tell them so...
In addition to the choice arguments noted above, because we don't live in country where practicing Christianity was a crime until 1967, where public officials were banned from "promoting Christianity" until 2003, and where Christian marriages weren't allowed until 2014.
LGBT isn't a religion so how the **** is it comparable 🤔
The annoyance of this is that people are so PRO-lgbt on this thread. I am not anti or pro lgbt so i am not biased in anyway. People saying following a religion is by choice, your correct. But if me. a muslim said "lesbians are retarded" for example and a lesbian said "Islam is retarded" Who is the most likely to get shot down?
I think that's a double standard, like you can't equate hating your oppressor because they've hurt you and your community and denied you your basic human rights to hating someone because you don't agree with who they are or who they love. That's not fair, that's not the same thing. Remember that some lgbt+ people don't just dislike religion because it doesn't agree with sex same relationships, but because people have used religious texts and their beliefs to justify hurting them.
Reply 15
Original post by Taz554:-)
The annoyance of this is that people are so PRO-lgbt on this thread. I am not anti or pro lgbt so i am not biased in anyway. People saying following a religion is by choice, your correct. But if me. a muslim said "lesbians are retarded" for example and a lesbian said "Islam is retarded" Who is the most likely to get shot down?

One is describing a group of people, the other is describing a set of ideas - so if a person thinks some of those ideas are 'retarded' with backup then fine (although that is not exactly respectful), as well as lesbians having their sexuality out of control, so the 'lesbians are retarded' statement would be quite rightly be more likely be criticized than an 'Islam is retarded comment'.
Reply 16
Original post by RickHendricks
Because being non-straight (I genuinely will not list out everything) is not something by choice.

Following a religion is choice.

See the difference?

That may be so, but just because having a religion is a choice and being non-straight is not that does not give LGBT people the right to hate on religious people.
Original post by Cod3tte
That may be so, but just because having a religion is a choice and being non-straight is not that does not give LGBT people the right to hate on religious people.

It does because at that point it's considered the same as just as a normal person hating on a religion, I don't see anyone complaining about people hating on religions, why LGBT?

People should be open to criticizing religions and beliefs. It's what made the humans advance, and anyone opposing that automatically suggest that they don't want human advancement.
Your question doesn't make sense. Religion isn't a person so even if people were hating on it it couldn't hate back.
If you mean LGBT hating on religious people then that doesn't make sense either as religion and religious people aren't the same thing as on is an idea and the other are people

Original post by Cod3tte

you weren't asking about religious people being hated on though you were talking about religion in your thread title. People can hate on ideas all they want just not the actual people
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Hateocracy
what's not to hate about religion? it's toxic and indoctrinates people

it's posts like these which aim to place religion as the victim when the LGBT community is already vulnerable

I'm not victimizing anyone.

"What's not to hate about religion?"

What happened to respecting everyone's beliefs?

Quick Reply

Latest